Author Topic: Wester A. White information  (Read 3358 times)

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Wester A. White information
« on: June 27, 2014, 02:08:25 PM »
DeWitt Bailey pictured in an article a Hudson valley gun that was supplied by Wester White. The gun was supposed to be completely made by the Richard Wilson firm in England. The article also claimed without providing documentation  that in addition to Wilson supplying locks and barrels for American made Hudson guns, the firm also made them in completion in England for export.
Does anyone know of better images of Whites Wilson made Hudson gun, any further proof of it's total English manufacture or it's current place of abode?
Thanks
James
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 02:56:51 AM by James Rogers »

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Wester A. White information
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »
Bump

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 02:03:24 AM »
Wish I knew.  I wonder if the attribution of some HVFs to Wilson might be due to the use of both a Wilson lock and barrel on some.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 02:59:06 AM »
My take as well until I see something to show differently. As well as Bailey documents his information, this has nothing noted to back it up.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:55:44 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 05:11:38 AM »
Is DeWitt Bailey still alive? I had a good bit of correspondence with him in the late 1950's pertaining to various Sharps rifle I owned then.I think he had the records of the Sharps Rifle Company at that time.

Bob Roller

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:03:50 AM »
DeWitt Bailey was visiting Kit Ravenshear and they came over to the barrel shop, about a 15 mile trip.   We saw a lot of Kit
while living in New Berlin.   New Berlin was a neat town, very small, wide main street, also the home of Samuel Baum who
had a kind of "gun factory" going..........Don

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 04:09:00 PM »
James, have you tried posting the question on the Muzzleloaders Association of Great Britain?

I'm also curious about the Wilson question. In that other discussion, the Museum of the Fur Trade/Hanson book states that Wilson supplied lots of completed guns for the American trade. There must be a paper trail on this somewhere. Lots of folks were involved and it would seem something should be around to confirm it.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 04:20:25 PM »
 Ken,
I am a member on that website. I have a few contacts in England who look at the records that I plan to pose the question to when I can get a round tuit.
Wilson most certainly fulfilled contracts for trading guns and there are extant records to show the same and are known in research circles. At this point, since the HVF claim has been printed as fact with no documention the burden is to show that documentation. I hope to make a few inquiries across the pond to see if they readily know something.
I would love to spend about six months there with access to records!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:28:21 PM by James Rogers »

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 06:46:17 PM »
OK. I must have misunderstood the discussion on Frontier Folk. I thought they were saying that there was no evidence that Wilson had supplied guns for Hudson Bay Trading Co. It seemed to me that that would have been cleared up by this time one way or the other.

Good luck in your search!