Author Topic: HCP 1862 , 36 pound "sniper rifle"  (Read 2671 times)

fatcat

HCP 1862 , 36 pound "sniper rifle"
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:27:31 PM »
Got a copy of the local paper,all 20 pages of it. The local histairian was recounting a story of
Henry Clay Powell (HCP) served in Co.K 1st Texas Infantry, he is buried near here,  he saw action at Devils Den. This rifle was on display at Gettysburg,the rifle was made in Keene NH not gov. issue.

Has anyone heard of this? Anyone happen to have a pic? The paper had a pic of his tombstone but not the rifle.  I wonder who made the rifle and how it got to HCP a confederate.

A 36 pound rifle? Seriously? I  would love to shoot it, i wonder what caliber,
How accurate, what kind of range ,geeze how much powder? What was the
 bearers name? Lol bet he was a big ole boy!

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: HCP 1862 , 36 pound "sniper rifle"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:54:22 PM »
 I remember reading an article on this rifle. I seems the family didn't know the rifle survived the war, and was on display. The family visited the museum it was displayed in, and remarked that the initials on the silver plate, on the stock, were the same as their ancestor. A docent overheard the comment and questioned the family. It seems old Henry survived the war, and went back to Texas, and related his story. It all checked out, and the reference on the display now gives the name of the Confederate snipe that used it.

Hungry Horse

fatcat

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 08:24:10 PM »
Thats essentially what this artical said, the desendant was Raymond H Herrington of Austin,HCP was his great grandfather, it continues to say HCP survived three civil war wounds and died in1892 at age 50. HCP died of pneumonia,his wife died 10 days later of the same,and thier 10 children were put out with different families. He is resting in Langford cemetary just south of Evant Texas.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 06:59:25 AM »
Chunk guns and bench guns today are in the vicinity of that weight.  I have seen and held original target rifles that could have been close to that weight.   They tend to be very large calibers as in 60-75 with barrel walls almost as thick.    Given the weight,  they wouldn't be difficult to shoot at all with regard to recoil.   You would just need a sturdy rest. ;)