Author Topic: Red Jacket Muzzleloading's Christian Springs Rifle  (Read 17579 times)

Offline Firelock

Red Jacket Muzzleloading's Christian Springs Rifle
« on: June 29, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »
I had an opportunity to shoot a beautiful custom flintlock longrifle from Red Jacket Muzzleloading in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. This rifle is made in the Christian Springs school of gun making, so it is an early, 1750 to 1770 style rifle. The 38-inch, .58 caliber,  swamped rifle barrel is very accurate and the entire rifle balances beautifully. I thought I'd give you a little taste of how it does at the range in this video.

And here are a few pictures for eye candy:

Offline wattlebuster

Re: Red Jacket Muzzleloading's Christian Springs Rifle
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:15:17 PM »
Wow. Shes a looker :o
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »
Nice looking rifle enjoyed the video. Felt sorry for ol Roy. Most of all she's quick even primed with ffg. Thanks. Tim

Offline Firelock

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
I've never had a gun with slow ignition. The secret, I think, is to be very parsimonious with the priming powder.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 06:07:17 PM »
So, who is actually the "builder" of that gun?
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Firelock

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:05:56 PM »
Will Hayden, he does all the carving, but I think he has someone who does the engraving.

Just to clarify,

Red Jacket Firearms, which is the company featured on the "Sons of Guns" TV show, and Red Jacket Muzzleloading are separate companies, with separate facilities, even though Will Hayden owns them both.

Will has been building flintlock rifles and fusils professionally for 20 years, and it is his main interest. He is very big into 18th century living history.

About three years ago he decided to launch Red Jacket Muzzleloading as a business. It is where Will does most of the actual work, though he has a small team of guys, two full time and three part time, who assist him.

Will personally does all the critical inletting and wood carving on each RJM gun. He is very good with a set of chisels.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:01:25 PM by Firelock »

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 09:33:16 PM »
That's a great video and that rifle is a real shooter.  I can't recall seeing better carving on any gun so far.  If I had only one rifle that one would be a top choice.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

C. Cash

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 03:32:44 AM »
Beautiful....thank you for sharing it!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 06:26:58 AM »
Mike, you do a very credible review of what looks like a superlative rifle.  Your films are entertaining, and you obviously know what you're talking about.  Good stuff.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »
Red Jacket should take a little trip north to Lexington, Ky., to the CLA show in August.  It is always nice to rub elbows with
the good guys.   His gun shows a lot of ability, but on a pesonal note, I don't like caramel colored guns nor big lock panels.
Remember, these are just some ramblings of an old guy............Don

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2014, 10:12:37 PM »
That Rifle has an impressive fast ignition time. beautiful rifle.

Offline Firelock

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2014, 11:21:06 AM »
I hear that comment on fast ignition time on every rifle that I shoot. I think that all good locks are capable of that if they are primed properly.

The key is very sparing use of powder in the pan.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 01:40:55 PM »
The finest,fastest lock ever made and primed with the finest powder is little use if all that performance is lost at the vent.

Bob Roller

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 05:55:20 PM »
Beautiful rifle
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline heelerau

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »
I must say did not realise Will was a riflesmith in the sence of this forum. Do like this rifle! We watch Sons of Guns down under, here at the minesite, they seem to have a lot of fun. I like the restorations that are sometimes featured of WW2 gear.

Cheers

Heelerau
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline lexington1

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 08:17:37 PM »
I never knew that Will Hayden was into traditional muzzle loading. I like him a lot better now!  ;D

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 08:30:28 PM »
Go to youtube and do a search on Red Jacket Muzzleloading.    There's a 10 minute or so clip of a primitive hog hunt by the Red Jacket staff.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 04:31:38 AM »
Sorry for correcting things a bit but the Moravian settlement was Christian's Spring not Christian Springs. For those that study these things details are important. While it's a gun made in the overall buttstock style of  Christian's Spring rifle the carving is very unlike the remaining examples we have to study. The execution looks to be well done but I would say it's quite comtemporary in layout.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 05:32:16 AM »
It is a very contemporary piece. Very well done, but in the spirit of "dixon's"  ..needs to see original guns ..would apply here IMO     Don't get me wrong..I admire the workmanship; but I just can't get past the lock panel  ;D

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2014, 05:57:24 AM »
Thanks Mike, always enjoy watching your videos.  Are you ever not going to hit Evil Roy in the nads... ;D
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

TgeorgeZ

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 04:20:27 AM »
Awesome gun.  This is the greatest hobby in the world.

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 12:57:54 AM »
What a great looking longrifle. These guys have been in the gun business for a long time. They have been into Living History in South Louisiana for as long as well. " Baton Rogue " or Red Stick. Were about 7 hours North of you, on the Ouachita River. Again, what a good looking rifle.
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."