Author Topic: Bag mold  (Read 8744 times)

frontier gander

Bag mold
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:13:28 AM »
Guys, what ever you do, do NOT order one from TOW! I got mine in, looked at it, looked through the sprue hole, went crossed eyed with the WTH look on my face and then cast a few round balls.

This sucker is off center and throws 2 different sizes per side! There's also a big gap right between the 2 sections.

RUN RUN RUN! Its an awesome looking mold but not worth $5, let alone $40. I called and they told me to send it back for a refund. I'll just swallow my pride and spend an extra $30 for the Lyman mold.

Towards the top and just slight to the left is a big dip that goes into the cavity, creating another big void in the ball.

Offline Bull Shannon

Re: Bag mold
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 03:02:59 AM »
I agree, that is absolutely horrible workmanship. Send it back post haste.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 04:39:21 AM »
Take a look at www.bagmolds.com  if you're interested in a bag mold.

That's Larry Callahan's mold site.   I use one of his  molds and get good results for my .62 hunting rifle. 

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 05:09:34 AM »
Yep, Bought one of Larry's moulds at Fort fred from him.i love it.great workmanship very precise.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:04:29 PM »
I have one that is perfect, or as perfect as any mold without insulated handles and attached sprue cutter can be.

Send it back with the ball. They have always responded to any problems I have ever had very promptly. By the price I would surmise that these things are probably made in India so quality can be spotty.

frontier gander

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »
TOW got the mold yesterday and refunded $ the same day. They've always been great to deal with, this was just one of those deals where i knew better but still ordered lol.

B Staley

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:43:04 AM »
I just ordered one from Larry. TOW is a good co. Never had any problem with them.....:)

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 05:59:25 AM »
I have a .490 I got from Track a while back that runs good balls and I also have a .590 I got from Larry that runs good balls.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 05:25:48 AM »
Guys, what ever you do, do NOT order one from TOW! I got mine in, looked at it, looked through the sprue hole, went crossed eyed with the WTH look on my face and then cast a few round balls.

This sucker is off center and throws 2 different sizes per side! There's also a big gap right between the 2 sections.

RUN RUN RUN! ...

And my first thought was why not a Callahan?

oh look others too.

Roundballs to ya!

I has a Tanner (not bagmould, but small company) in the mail at this moment. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline trentOH

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 06:08:36 PM »
Mold quality notwithstanding, those are some great photographs!

Hessian

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2014, 08:16:41 PM »
Another vote for Larry!
He's always treated me right.
Hessian

frontier gander

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Got my new Lyman mold yesterday and just did these today,

277 - 278.6 grains is where they are dropping for me. Now the real test of shooting and seeing how well they fly.

As you can see, the sprue they leave behind is not much more than what a Lee mold leaves behind.

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 11:23:09 PM »
277 - 278.6 grains is where they are dropping for me. Now the real test of shooting and seeing how well they fly.

FG,

I hope that's just a typo and not a faulty scale because those weights about 100 grains too high for a .490 ball.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

frontier gander

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:08 AM »
thats because they are .570  ;D

thunder

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2014, 04:57:20 AM »
And another vote for Larry

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 05:12:40 PM »
Re the bagmould in the OP, i was cruising around the web and found a place selling something quite similar-by their own admission. They go to great length in the description to tell you that it'll be half-baked and make crooked balls just like in the old days. 

Yeah, no such thing as competent workmanship in them old days, everybody knows that.  ::)
Hold to the Wind

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 06:13:41 PM »
I bought 8 bag molds 1 folding ladle from Larry at the CLA show.  They work great with nice round balls coming from the ones I have tryed.
 He is a great person to deal with.

iloco