Author Topic: Need help- John Annely gunsmith?  (Read 3320 times)

Offline debnal

Need help- John Annely gunsmith?
« on: July 11, 2014, 01:22:35 AM »
I would appreciate any help in finding gun making/related information on a John Annely. I have a rifle made by him. I have found a John Annely who was born in 1750 and another reference to a John Annely who was paid $696 for the sale of Cahrleville musket locks. Any info would be helpful.
Al

Offline Mark Tyler

Re: Need help- John Annely gunsmith?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »
Satterlee has the following:

ANNELY, John  - New York, N. Y., percussion period.

I will look in "The New York State Firearms Trade" 5 volume set by H.J. Swinney & compiled by Tom Rowe when I get home (unless someone has immediate access to the reference books).

« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 05:56:01 PM by Mark Tyler »

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:13:24 PM »
Al,
Sellers Gunsmiths book lists a John Annely, New York, Percussion shotgun.
It also list an Edward and a Thomas Annely closer to your time frame.
Also, Neumanns' Battle Weapons of the American Revolution has Thomas and Edward listed in several places, but no John that I could find...

Nice meeting you at the KRA!
John 
John Robbins

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 09:31:27 PM »
Hi Al, we finally had the opportunity to meet at P'burgh and I can now place the man with the voice. Whisker has Thomas Annely listed as the armorer for New Jersey during the Revolution, I believe. I have an iron barreled blunderbuss with the lock marked T. Annely and from the styling and ornamentation, it could well have been made just prior to the War. He seems to be a relatively unknown maker with a scarcity of information about him. Good luck tracking him down.
Dick

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 10:38:23 PM »
I believe I came across that time a time or two when researching Ebenezer Cowell and the armories at Allentown, however Cowell had previously been in Trenton overseeing a state armory there, and iirc I found a reference or maybe two to the Annely name.

Pictures?  Otherwise it's all a big tease.  :-*
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!