Author Topic: Your preference for forty caliber BBL weight. (A or B)  (Read 15098 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Your preference for forty caliber BBL weight. (A or B)
« on: July 13, 2014, 07:48:03 PM »
Given a 40-44" length in a plain rifle (TN).

I have on hand an A wt (Colerain 44") and I realize that it's a pretty thin tube, far from originals I've seen.  But this is for shootin' first and representin' (that's what the kids say now) second.

Someone recently mentioned ('round here) that they didn't care for the 40 caliber in A wt.  I'm going for a good all-rounder with great balance and I won't hesitate to use additional metal fore/aft to create the proper balance if necessary.  

I'm putting it in Ash, which seems awfully heavy in the blank (don't they all), and can/will likely make a nosepiece for this one, which will affect the "hanging balance".

But it's not too late to swap that bbl for a B-wt if the general consensus swings hard that direction.  

What say ye of many years shootin'?

thanks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:13:42 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: Your preference for forty caliber BBL weight. (A or B)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:13:15 PM »
Wade, for me the decision would be based on whether I would be carrying the rifle a lot, as in woods  running, or if I would be using it mostly for target work.
                                                                  Dan

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
Wade - ask Taylor what his .40 Kuntz barrel's weight is - it's PERFECT for a trail walk or small game rifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 08:15:40 PM »
Wade, for me the decision would be based on whether I would be carrying the rifle a lot, as in woods  running, or if I would be using it mostly for target work.
                                                                  Dan

carrying a lot as in trail walks, hunting, and general plinkerdom for sure.  
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 08:18:08 PM »
Wade - ask Taylor what his .40 Kuntz barrel's weight is - it's PERFECT for a trail walk or small game rifle.

Okay.

Hey Taylor, what is your Kuntz .40 bbl wt and length?  Daryl tells me it's a dandy.  (Yeah, you'd think he'd know.) ;D 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:23:50 PM »
I was thinking perhaps a PM might get his attention more quickly as it would hit his mail in-box.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
I was thinking perhaps a PM might get his attention more quickly as it would hit his mail in-box.

Certainly, but no rush really.  I have his email around here somewhere too.  Thanks for the input.

I think i found it in a Squirrel Rifle thread:  (thread: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9725.0)

At the risk of boring you with a rifle I've posted before, and shared with many of you at Dixon's, here's a few pics of my .40 cal Jacob Kuntz inspired rifle.
It has a Rice 44" B weight barrel, wood from Tiger Hunt, heavily carded Neider brown.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 08:54:57 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

galamb

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:05:12 PM »
For hunting I would go with the A weight.

The barrel would come in at about 4 1/4 lbs (4lbs 3 or 4 oz in a 44" swamped), the same weight as my 42", 45 cal Southern Classic (which leaves me with an (almost) 8 lb rifle which is perfect for carrying through dense woods/hill and dale).

A "B" weight would add half a pound, so not overly significant (until you hit mile 2 going up hill in a rainstorm :)), but since you already have the A wt, I would use it.

In a 40 cal, with that profile, you still have 1/8" of metal between the deepest part of the rifling and the outside of the barrel - that's more "meat" than you would get with other caliber combinations.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:46:44 PM »
My .40 has an A-weight x 38" barrel and is perfect for an all around rifle with emphasis as a hunter.  If it were longer, say, 42", it would still balance well and be nice to carry and shoot.  But, IMHO based on subjective balance vs weight, a B-weight would "lose it's niceness" from 42" on.  I need something I can carry easily that isn't tiring.   
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:43 AM »
I built a .40 cal  a few years ago using a 42 inch "A" weight.  I like to use this rifle for small game, woods walks etc and informal target shooting. It is a joy to carry and use. Balance is perfect for me. I'm not fond of the .40 in a "B" weight 42 in, but find a .45 in that weight/profile holds well for me.  If you've already got the "A" barrel , I'd use it. You can always add a heavier ram rod, or a pewter nose cap if you want more out front weight.

Offline Hank*in*WV

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 12:54:19 AM »
I've been shooting an "a" wt 40 cal, 44"  Rice barrel for the last five years. Love it.
"Much of the social history of the western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good. . ." Thomas Sowell

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 03:02:15 AM »
I used an "A" weight 44" rice barrel for a gun some time ago. http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=9725.0
I have to admit, I like big bores and lots of powder, but this gun is the most pleasant shooter I have ever made. All the weight to proportion just seemed to come together and make a very special gun to shoot. There is a lot that goes into making a gun that will match itself to the man that is shooting it, and the mystery as to why this gun is the way is, is what keeps me in the game. Good luck in your search, its probably better than half the fun.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 04:33:24 AM »
Arrighty then, that's enough "A favorites" for this one to go fwd as planned.  Thanks.

Then I have a 30/A, 45/B, 36/A*  to stock and lock.  Why? because "SALE" is why.  :P

*edited, i was mistaken.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 04:30:34 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 06:41:17 PM »
Wade, Mike Davis just built me a new40 Cal 44" long Rice Barreled Squirrel rifle. I wanted an A weight barrel for the lightness. mike said to go with the B weight for better accuracy and hold. Rice barrels told me the difference in weight of a B weight from an A weight was 1 1/4lbs.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:43:24 PM by Virginiarifleman »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 07:33:58 PM »
That weight difference was precisely why I bought a .40 x 46" x A-weight.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
Wade:  I'm sorry for coming to this thread so late...appears unbalanced in favour of the skinny little tube.

I have two .40's:  an A weight 42" Getz barreled Peter Berry rifle that weighs 6 pounds 11 ounces
                          a B weight 44" Rice barreled Kuntz rifle that weighs 8 pounds 8 ounces

I prefer the heavier rifle by a huge margin.  The little A weight rifle is too light.  I cannot hold it still.  It wants to float all over the place.
The B weight rifle defies you to get the sights out of the bullseye.  And the added weight absorbs recoil so it is not a factor in following through with the shot.  I shoot 65 grains 3Fg with the 92 grain ball.  So my vote goes for the "B" weight without question.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline EC121

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 09:36:16 PM »
It will have to be a B weight for me.  That is what I have already have on hand.  :D  I have a 3/4" .30cal. that is fun to shoot but is really light.  Every twitch shows up on the sights.  Not enough meat in the A weight .40 for my peace of mind.  Probably safe enough.  Just me.  I had a 13/16" .45 Hershel House poor boy that some shade tree blacksmith/gunsmith  had center punched the dovetail under the back sight to raise the metal and tighten up the back sight.  They actually dented the bore with the punch.  I could feel a tight spot when I cleaned it.  I haven't wanted a thin barrel since then.
Brice Stultz

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 09:37:59 PM »
I built a 40 cal on an A weight 42". After thinning the forestock appropriately, it ended up to be rather light and whippy. Next I tried a 13/16" straight with a traditional (hand filed 1/16") swamp. Won't do that again....It turned out to be too nose heavy for a good balance. Perhaps I took too much wood away at the rear but, based on this, the next 40 will definitely be a B weight.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 03:42:49 AM »
As the General Consensus Turns

Balancing out the thread no with B's eh?  Not a problem.  Here's what i propose to do: build the A, and add weight (balanced) if I feel the need.  Then squirrel away a B weight for building later.  

and to be gentle with the punching and gouging on the fitments to this Al.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:44:48 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 03:50:14 AM »
I built a 40 cal on an A weight 42". After thinning the forestock appropriately, it ended up to be rather light and whippy. Next I tried a 13/16" straight with a traditional (hand filed 1/16") swamp. Won't do that again....It turned out to be too nose heavy for a good balance. Perhaps I took too much wood away at the rear but, based on this, the next 40 will definitely be a B weight.

Did you not try adding weight to the rear?  I don't see how that wouldn't help shooting, even if handling was a little bit different.  Actually now that i think on it, less weight would be necessary at rear to bring balance to same point vs. heavier bbl.  That is the leverage difference between weight near breech vs. weight near buttplate.
Hold to the Wind

pbigham

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 03:50:42 AM »
 I agree with everything Taylor has said, I have the same Rice Barrel. My vote is for the B. But I prefer a heavy Barrel.

galamb

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 03:50:52 AM »
If you have two barrels and can build two rifles then who needs consensus - two rifles are better than one  ;D

Offline Kermit

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 04:17:29 AM »
I prefer the heavier rifle by a huge margin.  The little A weight rifle is too light.

Try a lead ramrod.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 04:28:25 AM »
If you have two barrels and can build two rifles then who needs consensus - two rifles are better than one  ;D

Certainly yes, and so on and so on!

I want to have enough to trade around and not ever have less than 3-5 "favorites" or as many as i can feed regular and care for.

so this cracker has to get CRACKIN!  (started a regular job today, maybe i'll be able to feed my habits better soon)
Hold to the Wind

Offline PPatch

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 05:21:12 AM »
Wade I recently completed an A weight .45 for my son. One thing I can tell you from shooting it is that the barrel gets HOT quick. Other than that it is quite accurate etc etc.

I would not hesitate to do an A weight .40 cal. I'm working on two A .36s right now.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?