Author Topic: Your preference for forty caliber BBL weight. (A or B)  (Read 15104 times)

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Your preference for forty caliber BBL weight. (A or B)
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 04:52:45 PM »
We all come in different shapes, sizes and blessed with adaptability, but only to a certain point. That's why a wide receiver is a bad fit at right tackle. You have to figure out what works best for you.
Robin
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Standing Bear

Re: Your preference for forty caliber BBL weight. (A or B) ho
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »
We all come in different shapes, sizes and blessed with adaptability, but only to a certain point. That's why a wide receiver is a bad fit at right tackle. You have to figure out what works best for you.
Robin

Correctamundo Robin. Right for me is a straight 7/8" x 42" in .40.

I don't see how someone of smaller stature would want to build a rifle on my preference. I handled a lot of rifles to determine what I felt good with.
TC
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:08:00 PM by Standing Bear »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 07:21:29 PM »
Wade - further to what Taylor added to this discussion, I have shot both the Peter Berry rifle with "A" weight and the Kuntz with "B" barrels. Taylor is absolutely correct concerning the steadiness of the holding both these rifles. For someone who does as much shooting as you do, you will never feel the weight.  A 6lb/11oz pound rifle is the same weight as a low power scoped .30/30 Winchester  carbine - next to nothing at all and also has about the poorest holding qualities of any rifle.  In my opinion, a 7 pound long rifle would a child's or light, lightly framed, pregnant woman-on-crutches-rifle. ;D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

Re: Your preference for forty caliber BBL weight. (A or B) ho
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 07:32:40 PM »
Robin

Correctamundo Robin. Right for me is a straight 7/8" x 42" in .40.

I don't see how someone of smaller stature would want to build a rifle on my preference. I handled a lot of rifles to determine what I felt good with.
TC

I agree SBear - 42"X 7/8" X .40 is a GOOD holding rifle, even in .45 cal. it's OK, but .40 IS better.  I had both as interchangeable barrels for my first longrifle.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 12:09:43 AM »
I'll say B for more serious target shooting, A for hunting and general plinking.  I always err on the light side for a hunting gun.  What, you can't find a branch to rest it on to steady it?   ;D

Then I'll throw in a whole new ball of thorns.  My favorite handling and shooting rifle is a 42" 13/16 STRAIGHT .40 GM barrel.  Still light for carrying, but holds really well for me offhand at our club matches.  So there.   8)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 12:27:49 AM »
Yes, see the barrel heat is something that cannot be offset by adding weight (in ways other than bbl wall thickness).  Glad we thought of that.  ;)

Personally have no interest in a straight sided bbl.  (NTTAWWT)

Okay all righty now then

Let us shift the discussion just a little bit, AS overall weight/hanging/handling balance is mostly what we're discussing here, how about we tell what our best (overall) handling rifles weigh.  No caliber restriction, but should be rifled and 38" or more bbl length.  Just opinions, no facts please.  :P 

(approximate weights fine, to the nearest 1/4# maybe)

hit me. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 03:56:34 AM »
To be honest, my Southern Poorboy at 8lbs is my best for holding and accuracy. but now a shoulder injury prevents my offhand ability with it.

Vomitus

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 06:30:38 AM »
  I think a "B" weight barrel would be awesome in a .45. I have an "A" weight 44" by 40 cal. in a Tenn.Mtn rifle and I quite like it! It's light, but I got used to it.  If I did it again, I'd like the "B" weight in a forty.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2014, 04:49:47 PM »
Looks like there are as many opinions as shooters! They ain't makin your decision easy.

Oh, I have a .36 B by 42" I'm on the edge but I think I might have liked an A wt.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
I can tell you something about Micah's 36 cal - it is very very accurate at 30 yards, as in blowing out the X ring with 20 (could have been 25, I disremember) grains of 3F, a .020. patch and a 00 buckshot as the RB. He brought it up to shoot recently and I was impressed with it. Balanced well too.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2014, 09:27:23 PM »
Try a lead ramrod.

That ought to be pretty spectacular when the ramrod is fired downrange.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2014, 03:30:54 AM »
Try a lead ramrod.

That ought to be pretty spectacular when the ramrod is fired downrange.

the recoil!   :o
Hold to the Wind

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2014, 10:40:12 PM »
AGAIN handle as many rifles of similar design to your intended build as possible. Also realize that length of pull can have more effect on balance than A wt vs B wt vs straight. Too many variables to include in a thread like this. Handle enough and you'll find one that makes you scream "that's it".
TC
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 10:41:44 PM by Standing Bear »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2014, 01:22:03 AM »
AGAIN handle as many rifles of similar design to your intended build as possible. Also realize that length of pull can have more effect on balance than A wt vs B wt vs straight. Too many variables to include in a thread like this. Handle enough and you'll find one that makes you scream "that's it".
TC

Thanks, way past that.  The quickest way for me to "handle" a bunch of built guns is to drive 4 hours round trip to see whatever Tip Curtis has in his racks.  Not going to happen, I have 2 bbls and locks going together real soon, just need wood for the second one.  And handling ain't shooting and totin.  I'll be shootin' and totin' one or two A's along with my C soon enough.  I'll build the B (45) after those A's (40 and 30).

And it's not like I'm not going to make more.  I just posed the question as I hadn't studied it thoroughly before.  The points have all been made.  Thanks all for playing.  I'm sure others will find the discussion useful.

Thanks Y'all!  (and the Q has shifted to overall weight of medium/small calibers).  Heck I don't even know what my elk rifle weighs, but i did notice yesterday that a ball and powder does shift it a bit.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 01:25:08 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind