Author Topic: Flintlock marked R N Chadwick  (Read 9944 times)

Online mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
Flintlock marked R N Chadwick
« on: July 15, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
Friend of mine that builds flint guns has a repair in his shop,with the lock marked RN Chadwick,it is about the size of a large Siler,has a round face,gun appears to be from 60's,48" barrel,nicely made.Any one have any info on Mr Chadwick?Gun is owned by a fellow near Charleston,Wva.Thanks,Dave  ???

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Re: Flintlock marked R N Chadwick
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 04:39:58 AM »
I know that Hacker Martin made mention rifling Robert Chadwick barrels. Same fellow?
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »
I heard of Chadwick many yeas ago.    It seems that he was making barrel, locks, etc., he was way ahead of anyone else at
the time, was also making kits.    I think he ran into a problem with the Federal Govt., don't know details.......Don

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 04:02:09 PM »
I think Chadwick was located at Chad's Ford (Forge?)Pa.
Bill Large had a lock from them but I don't remember
anything about it.How long they were in business is another question.
I got my "Broadside"yesterday and Roger Sells long rifle is
an elegant piece of work.My kind of long rifle,good lines,
workmanship and color.Outstanding work Roger

Bob Roller

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »
I will ask Reaves Goehring about him when I see him at Dixon's.      Also Stan Hollenbaugh.........Don

Online mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:59 PM »
update on this project-I saw the rifle today,and it certainly appears to be an early kit gun,as the fitting and extra wood looks like one of my first attempts.The barrel is a 45 x 1" x 48",boy,is it muzzle heavy.It would be a nice rifle with a total makeover.lolThanks guys,for the info. ;)

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 05:22:52 AM »
I remember him as well but the details are fuzzy, being 35+ years ago. I think the government might have got him for not paying a gunmanufacturers tax.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 03:11:07 AM »
Yes, Chadwick was in Chadd's Ford, southeastern Pennsylvania. I had one of his locks made from a French original, somewhere around 1960-1962.

Our Gov't did get after several people for the excise tax. Disremember how Bivins handled it but he had some discussion on the matter. Think John B. may have won against the Feds, this being early 1970's

NChadwick

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 03:02:40 PM »
HI, My name is Natalie Chadwick, my Father was Robert N, He passed away on 2004 at the age of 82, He was world reknowned for a long time for his artistry inmaking rifles. If tou want any other info, ask away, my personal email is : wolfsong03@aol.com

The ATF shut my poor Dad down, and he faltered after that , but was still an amazing man. They discovered after destrying him , that they were wrong, but back then attorneys didnt work on taking a portion from the winnings so he was unable to sue.

IM still looking for a full rifel by my Dad, he was not able to make my son one...:(

NChadwick

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »
MY father rifled his own barrels by hand in Chadds Ford, but did get a rifling machine later.   I remember Hacker well.....