Author Topic: C. Kohle rifle  (Read 3933 times)

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
C. Kohle rifle
« on: July 17, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »
Guys here is another rifle for you to look at. The bottom of the barrel is stamped C. Kohle with the e reversed. That is the only markings on the rifle except for some decorative star type stamping on the top flat of the barrel. I don't think my pictures are good enough for that to show though.

This rifle belongs to a client, the lock is a replacement, there is a picture of the original lock in these pictures. This is a 32 cal and is in great shape. This rifle has been in the family since the late 1800's and the family live in Clearfield PA. The original family owner was a fellow by the name of Canada Rupert. The family believes that Conrad Kohl of Berks County to be the maker, he lived in the town of Wyomissing and was working there in his shop in the 1850's.

Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: C. Kohle rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 09:18:10 PM »
I'm about an hour and a half toward Pittsburgh from Clearfield and I see a lot of rifles like
this one show up locally.  Well cared for small caliber squirrel guns made by locals from parts
commercially available at the time.  That's a nice rifle and the condition is outstanding.  The only thing
that makes we shake my head is that it looks a lot more like western PA than Berks Cty to me.
Thanks for sharing it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 09:19:41 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Collector

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:08:11 PM »
It wasn't abused or used hard, but it's too bad that it's been refinished and 'polished-up pretty.'  On the flip side, it is nice just to see that it's been held in some regard, by the family and that it's intact.,   

Matt Norman

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:53:48 AM »
That is my family's rifle.  It was my Grandfather's (James Curry)  great-grandfather's rifle (Canada Rupert, aka Daniel Canaday Rupert, 1833-1896) . They were from Clearfield County, Pennsylvania and have ties to the area to the early 19th century. For those of you familiar with the area,  'Curry Run' is named after my Grandfather's clan.

The underside of the patchbox cover is marked 'Eagle Rifle Works' and 'Phila PA'.

Yes, it's been 'purdied up' some. I first came into contact with this rifle in the early 1960's. It had been subjected to moisture damage and general neglect. Not knowing any better I refinished it. Being I was in 6th grade you can only cringe and imagine what that looked like. In the early 1990's somebody with more ability fixed some of my mistakes.

The rifle has not been fired since the 19th century. I was fortunate to get referred to Bama and he's made it very functional and got me properly outfitted to shoot it. Not only will I shoot this rifle but also have my sons and grandchildren too.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:18:59 AM by Matt Norman »

galamb

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 06:02:57 AM »
Eagle rifle works operated between 1844 and 1860. It was run by James Golcher, the same Jas Golcher whose name adorns percussion locks of the period.

So unless the patchbox was added at some later date that can certainly help you date the rifle.

(should have added)

The original lock looks very much like one that would have been produced by the Leman factory in the 1840-80 time period.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:11:55 AM by galamb »

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 01:25:02 PM »
Hi Jim,
        Nice sharing area with you at the KRA.  I can't add a whole lot constructive about the rifle, but I am presently working on a Leman trade rifle brought to me by the head of the Clearfield Co. Historical Society.  I will get the info. on the rifle and family to Dennis and see if he can add anything interesting to what is already known.
Best wishes
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 03:46:35 AM »
Likewise Ron

I am still a little new at the KRA show, my 3rd year as a member. I really enjoyed visiting with everyone there and sharing space with you guys and meeting you was a big plus for me. I am already looking forward to next year. Good luck with your projects.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"