Author Topic: Beginner rifle  (Read 6447 times)

Bluegoose23

Beginner rifle
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:22:06 PM »
Just curious on y'all's thoughts on the rifle I have ordered and if there is anything I may not have known/considered.  It isn't too late for me to change.  This will be my first flintlock.   
It's 54 cal.    I mulled between the 50 and 54.   But since I see many of you professional hunt white tails with a 45.   Am I missing something there?
42  inch swamped. 
Don't know what weight the barrel should be.   A. B.  C. .? 
And I this may be purely personal and up to me but if y'all are familiar with TVM it is the early VA. 
Also, thoughts on TVM??

oldfox

Re: Beginner rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 05:43:24 PM »
As far as TVM, you might want to talk with Cayuga on The Modern Muzzleloader forum  http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/index.php  He had a similar rifle built by TVM

Bluegoose23

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 05:55:29 PM »
As far as TVM, you might want to talk with Cayuga on The Modern Muzzleloader forum  http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/forum/index.php  He had a similar rifle built by TVM
Thanx

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:14:20 PM »
Matt at TVM has built 6 flinters for me over the years and they are great.  He stands by his work and after purchase customer service is as good as you'll ever find.  I've long guns from a couple other makers that are excellent but no longer take orders.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Bluegoose23

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »
Matt at TVM has built 6 flinters for me over the years and they are great.  He stands by his work and after purchase customer service is as good as you'll ever find.  I've long guns from a couple other makers that are excellent but no longer take orders.
Good to know.  Thanks.    6!    Wow.  He who dies with the most flintlocks wins!!!

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:49:06 PM »
I also have an Early Virginia flintlock from TVM. Left handed in .45 caliber. Very good quality for the dollar and good people to work with.
Mark
Mark

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 12:38:51 AM »
Good Choice on the 54 Caliber, my personal favorite. I have 3 54's a Virginia,a Southern Mountain, and a Rifled Fowler Style.

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 02:29:22 AM »
Just curious on y'all's thoughts on the rifle I have ordered and if there is anything I may not have known/considered.  It isn't too late for me to change.  This will be my first flintlock.  
It's 54 cal.    I mulled between the 50 and 54.   But since I see many of you professional hunt white tails with a 45.   Am I missing something there?
42  inch swamped.  
Don't know what weight the barrel should be.   A. B.  C. .?  
And I this may be purely personal and up to me but if y'all are familiar with TVM it is the early VA.  
Also, thoughts on TVM??

I have an Early Virginia in .50 caliber from TVM. Mine has a 42" swamped colerain barrel in a C-Weight. Mine has all steel furniture, an english round face lock, has a three piece domed patch box. I absolutely love this rifle it balances well and shoots excellent. As far as a .50 or .54 caliber you can't go wrong with either one.  Matt and Toni are a joy to do business with, I have no complaints with them or their company.  Just make sure you tell them exactly what you want, and I'm sure you'll be happy with your flintlock. I have a total of four TVM flintlocks and have no complaints with any of them.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:37:54 AM by Kopfjaeger »
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

galamb

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 04:28:39 AM »
I find that TVM, Tip Curtis and the like fills a (void) in the muzzle loading rifle community between the "off the shelf" offerings by Cabela's, Lyman etc and the custom builds that can take many many months or years from the "one off" builders.

Please don't read that I'm knocking them - I'm not. They produce a "generic" rifle in an (almost) semi-production style. An early Virginia (or late Lancaster - pick the tag) from one of these does incorporate a number of the characteristics from a number of builders in the area but does not look much like a Dickert or a Sheets etc.

I sometimes wonder how they make any money from their builds. The cost of parts is barely below the cost of their "no frills" offerings. I think you will find that just like many "package deals" that if you start "adding on" or "upgrading" the cost will quickly grow and could well equal what some of the  custom builders charge.

I personally would be hard pressed to recommend "going all out" with a TVM build. Yes, it might have a swamped Rice barrel and very fancy wood (at significant extra cost), but it will essentially look "exactly" like the lowest priced model except the wood will be fancy (with a custom builder, even if they make 10 Lancasters they will all be "unique").

Your TVM (place tag here) will look like every other TVM (with the same tag) which is why I would not pay a premium price. I would suggest your "best value" is in their (less fancy) package offering. If you are willing to drop more than 2K (which it could quickly add up to), find a custom builder and get a "unique" rifle.

(enough preaching)

You mulled between 50 and 54 and ask about 45 cal.

While I own a 50 it's stays mostly in the gun safe. The 45 is my "big bore" :) - my everyday rifle is a 40 cal and I will be replacing that (soon hopefully) with a 38 cal - and YES, I will use that for deer because where I hunt it is legal and the way I hunt, it is way more than enough caliber.

Many consider sub-45 cal inadequate for deer (and I hunt Eastern Canadian Whitetails - so not deer the size of Golden Retrievers, we have some Big Bambi's), but hunting medium game with small calibers is a kind of finesse hunting that you work your way into and I wouldn't feel right saying that everyone can or even should try hunting deer with a sub-45 cal rifle.

On the other hand, a 45 cal is all you will ever need unless you hunt bear/moose. And even then I personally think a larger caliber would only really give you a "mental advantage" - but that's not really what you are asking and really is a whole other discussion.

A 42" "B" weight 45 makes a nice slender rifle - A "C" weight 54 would be my next choice.

I only own a 50 cal because that is about the only caliber that you can find supplies for in Canada "off the shelf" in the handful of places that carry anything for black powder at all (other cals require long drives or mail order) - otherwise, if supplies to feed it is not an issue, a 50 gives little to no advantage over a 45, so if you are going bigger, may as well go to the 54 cal which will result in a lighter barrel in the same profile.

And if you carry the rifle any distance while hunting, a half pound can be quite substantial.

Bluegoose23

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »
I find that TVM, Tip Curtis and the like fills a (void) in the muzzle loading rifle community between the "off the shelf" offerings by Cabela's, Lyman etc and the custom builds that can take many many months or years from the "one off" builders.

Please don't read that I'm knocking them - I'm not. They produce a "generic" rifle in an (almost) semi-production style. An early Virginia (or late Lancaster - pick the tag) from one of these does incorporate a number of the characteristics from a number of builders in the area but does not look much like a Dickert or a Sheets etc.

I sometimes wonder how they make any money from their builds. The cost of parts is barely below the cost of their "no frills" offerings. I think you will find that just like many "package deals" that if you start "adding on" or "upgrading" the cost will quickly grow and could well equal what some of the  custom builders charge.

I personally would be hard pressed to recommend "going all out" with a TVM build. Yes, it might have a swamped Rice barrel and very fancy wood (at significant extra cost), but it will essentially look "exactly" like the lowest priced model except the wood will be fancy (with a custom builder, even if they make 10 Lancasters they will all be "unique").

Your TVM (place tag here) will look like every other TVM (with the same tag) which is why I would not pay a premium price. I would suggest your "best value" is in their (less fancy) package offering. If you are willing to drop more than 2K (which it could quickly add up to), find a custom builder and get a "unique" rifle.

(enough preaching)

You mulled between 50 and 54 and ask about 45 cal.

While I own a 50 it's stays mostly in the gun safe. The 45 is my "big bore" :) - my everyday rifle is a 40 cal and I will be replacing that (soon hopefully) with a 38 cal - and YES, I will use that for deer because where I hunt it is legal and the way I hunt, it is way more than enough caliber.

Many consider sub-45 cal inadequate for deer (and I hunt Eastern Canadian Whitetails - so not deer the size of Golden Retrievers, we have some Big Bambi's), but hunting medium game with small calibers is a kind of finesse hunting that you work your way into and I wouldn't feel right saying that everyone can or even should try hunting deer with a sub-45 cal rifle.

On the other hand, a 45 cal is all you will ever need unless you hunt bear/moose. And even then I personally think a larger caliber would only really give you a "mental advantage" - but that's not really what you are asking and really is a whole other discussion.

A 42" "B" weight 45 makes a nice slender rifle - A "C" weight 54 would be my next choice.

I only own a 50 cal because that is about the only caliber that you can find supplies for in Canada "off the shelf" in the handful of places that carry anything for black powder at all (other cals require long drives or mail order) - otherwise, if supplies to feed it is not an issue, a 50 gives little to no advantage over a 45, so if you are going bigger, may as well go to the 54 cal which will result in a lighter barrel in the same profile.

And if you carry the rifle any distance while hunting, a half pound can be quite substantial.
I bet if I get the 54 and I really enjoy it, a 45 will be in my future.  Thanks for the info.  Yes those are some monsters y'all have up there.  Decisions.  Decisions.

Offline Snakebite

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 04:59:14 AM »
I received a TVM Late Lancaster last year. I have nothing bad to say about it. It's well made, shoots very well. I opted for the Colerain swamped barrel in .54. I would have no qualms about having another rifle made by them. They gave me exactly what I asked for at a very reasonable price.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:11:10 AM »
I have a TVM EV in .54 with an OTR 42" bbl and L&R round faced lock. Best fitting and handling gun I own, but will likely need to find a new home since this old dog don't hunt no more.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Vomitus

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 09:42:02 PM »
   I haven't seen a TVM that matches any of the rifles in RCA 1&2 but I hear they're made from good quality parts. After you are in this game for a while, "custom" is the way I went. If you save a few hundred more, I'm sure you'd find a real good custom built rifle in here that will still hold it's value well after the initial cost is forgotten. ....I think I stole that saying from someone,lol. ;D

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 12:49:24 AM »
I have three fifty caliber rifles and have killed deer here in Arkansas for thirty years. The fifty meets current state law for minimum size. Check where you are going to be hunting for their requirements. The 54 is plenty of knock down.

Chris
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."