Author Topic: Took a young man shooting yesterday  (Read 3051 times)

Hessian

Took a young man shooting yesterday
« on: July 18, 2014, 08:14:40 PM »
Went shooting with a friend(Scott) & his son(Ethan) yesterday. I took my .48 Miller gun & Ethan was shooting his .62 Jackie Brown smoothbore. As usual my gun shot like a laserbeam.
It was Ethans first time shooting his gun (other than blanks.) He had had some trouble with it. He  had cleaned it with hot water after firing it with blanks & didn't get the lock dried out(sear & tumbler were all rusted up.) I disassembled & cleaned the lock & gun & educated the young man on proper care & maintenance.
He had ordered some .595 balls & .10 oiled patches. We tried that combo with a 60 gr load of FFFg. I told him to try a fiber wad on top of the powder & loaded up some 6 shot loads. He & Dad had great time bouncing empty water bottles around with that. We ended up using wads instead of patches for the round ball loads. He was keeping most of his shots in 3-5 inches offhand @ 25 yards. Not bad for a young man that had never before shot a flinter at a target.
I let Scott shoot my .48 & he was hooked! He told me he was going to save up for a gun. I told him he ought to just build one(he is a blacksmith.) "one piece at a time" ;D A good time was had by all & I spent several hours last night cleaning my rifle & sewing balls into patches to replace what was shot.(Don't fix what ain't broke. ;D)   

Hessian

Re: Took a young man shooting yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 06:51:21 AM »
I guess the "bug" bit my friend Scott. He called me today & told me he bought a gun from Jackie B.
He said the missus might be a little upset. I told him it probably wouldn't be that bad. Maybe he can take her shooting? That's what I did with mine. She likes it!
Hessian

B Staley

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 04:47:16 PM »
When buying a new gun it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission ......:)

HAWKEN

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 09:13:30 PM »
I don't know whether or not it is better to get forgiveness than permission, but it certainly is easier. LOL.  Keep yer powder dry........Robin

Offline drago

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:21:39 AM »
A lot faster way to get a rifle too. Of course it's gonna cost you.

Hessian

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:34:53 AM »
We went back to the range today. Got rained on. I shot my paper cartridge .53 Sharps Calvary Carbine & Ethan shot his .62 Smoothie. He's working on a bit of a flinch. Don't know how light we can load the .62 & still be effective. Loaded a couple shots at 50 grains & he seemed a little better. I just told him to concentrate on the front sight & squeeze the trigger. "Dad" called J. Brown & he said his .54 smooth rifle is on the way. I told Scott(Dad) that I bet that Ethan will  be covetting Dad's smooth rifle!
Any tips?
Hessian