Author Topic: How long can a load be left in a rifle?  (Read 21272 times)

Bluegoose23

How long can a load be left in a rifle?
« on: July 18, 2014, 10:01:59 PM »
How long is it safe to leave a charge in your rifle when hunting.The patch would be oil or fat lubed.  Does it change in conditions of high humidity or rain? 

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: How long can a load be left in a rifle?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:11:02 PM »
If the bbl is clean before loading, the patch is lubed with oil-based lube, and the vent is blocked, I have no problem leaving one loaded for extended periods of time.  

It was a month at least before I fired my last hunting load from the bbl after last season.  It went shkboom just like all (most  :P) of the rest and the bore is slick like buttah down to the polished breechface.

Tape over the bore or use a bore plug for extreme humidities.  But realize that the patch put down a protective barrier all the way to the top of the charge.  How much moisture can the powder pick up on loading?  Dunno, but you're pushing @!*% near all the air out when you seat the ball, so I'd expect the humidity in the air to affect ball flight more than the burning of the charge.

Opinions will vary, there's mine.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:15:44 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Turkeyfoot

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
I would never ever recommend doing this for many reasons.  I had seen this topic before, so decide to do an experiment. I left mine loaded with cfg 60grs. for 14 months and it went "boom" with no problem.....figured it would, and there was no sign of any corrosion....but...a shooter is taking a heck of a chance of it "not" going boom!

Bluegoose23

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
If the bbl is clean before loading, the patch is lubed with oil-based lube, and the vent is blocked, I have no problem leaving one loaded for extended periods of time.  

It was a month at least before I fired my last hunting load from the bbl after last season.  It went shkboom just like all (most  :P) of the rest and the bore is slick like buttah down to the polished breechface.

Tape over the bore or use a bore plug for extreme humidities.  But realize that the patch put down a protective barrier all the way to the top of the charge.  How much moisture can the powder pick up on loading?  Dunno, but you're pushing @!*% near all the air out when you seat the ball, so I'd expect the humidity in the air to affect ball flight more than the burning of the charge.

Opinions will vary, there's mine.

Thanx for the response.  I was wondering about leaving it overnight when I would be hunting the next day.  Answered my question more than adequately.

wet willy

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 10:45:13 PM »
I don't know of any rigorous testing done on this subject, but there are many stories and anecdotes.

How long depends on how well the vent/nipple/ball is sealed (as BP is hygroscopic, it attracts water), and where you are storing the loaded rifle and where you last loaded it, and if you cleaned it well. A garage in FL will have higher ambient humidity than a house in winter in AK. With a tight patch and the vent or nipple plugged, the powder likely will stay dry, meaning it likely will ignite. There are legends of ML containing ball and  powder for 100's of years, and fired like they were loaded this morning. If the piece was loaded outside during a rainstorm, it may not go off however careful you seal the vent.

As for leaving a firearm loaded for days/weeks/month, I'd be concerned that moisture got into the powder, which caused rust, so now the area in the bore is corroded. If the powder is dry, it will fire with the same level of safety as when it was loaded.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
In humid weather leave the loaded gun standing on its muzzle, stick a finger tight toothpick in the touch hole. You might tie something to the trigger guard to remind you that it is loaded. In general it is NOT a good idea to seal the bore of any gun for any length of time, creates conditions for serial condensation episodes. I have left my rifle loaded for a couple of months a couple of times and didn't have any problems but the rifle was inside so I can't really answer your question but surely several days wouldn't be a problem. I'd do it.

dp

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bluegoose23

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
I don't know of any rigorous testing done on this subject, but there are many stories and anecdotes.

How long depends on how well the vent/nipple/ball is sealed (as BP is hygroscopic, it attracts water), and where you are storing the loaded rifle and where you last loaded it, and if you cleaned it well. A garage in FL will have higher ambient humidity than a house in winter in AK. With a tight patch and the vent or nipple plugged, the powder likely will stay dry, meaning it likely will ignite. There are legends of ML containing ball and  powder for 100's of years, and fired like they were loaded this morning. If the piece was loaded outside during a rainstorm, it may not go off however careful you seal the vent.

As for leaving a firearm loaded for days/weeks/month, I'd be concerned that moisture got into the powder, which caused rust, so now the area in the bore is corroded. If the powder is dry, it will fire with the same level of safety as when it was loaded.
Yep humidity is a great concern.  I hunt the Texas coast and the humidity there in the fall can be 110%!!

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:44:57 PM »
I've left my flintlocks loaded for two to three weeks at a time during hunting season and have had no problems. I plug the flash hole with a toothpick and put a balloon over the muzzle. I also put a orange tag on the trigger guard so I remember the rifle is loaded.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 12:34:38 AM »
Many original 1863 Springfield rifles have been found to have been loaded from the Cival War. and still fired.

Bluegoose23

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:59 AM »
Many original 1863 Springfield rifles have been found to have been loaded from the Cival War. and still fired.
Holy Cow!

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 05:36:50 AM »
How long is it safe to leave a charge in your rifle when hunting.The patch would be oil or fat lubed.  Does it change in conditions of high humidity or rain? 
If you use  lube like well cleaned tallow you can leave it indefinitely so long as its kept dry. Plugging the vent is not needed. HOWEVER. The gun must be completely free of any fouling. Fouling, even if it does not cause rust will pull moisture from the air. Quality BP in a clean barrel will not absorb significant moisture. If you take it outside in the rain all bets are off or let dew collect on it....

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:50:06 AM »

Properly made Blackpowder is not significantly hygroscopic. It will absorb some moisture from the air but not enough to significantly affect performance, flintlocks will still shoot etc and when the humidity drops it will return the moisture to the air. If the powder is made with impure ingredients, poor quality saltpeter is a REAL problem for this and why back in the day powder makers were so phobic about it. Then it may absorb more moisture.
BP fouling sucks up humidity like a sponge at RH over 30% or so and this WILL then wet the powder in the bore/pan if there is fouling present.
For those thinking that powder will absorb much moisture from the air think about wool powder bags in the powder room of a sailing ship, below the waterline.... They always had at least some cartridges ready and the bags were certainly not air tight and I doubt the powder barrels were either.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Bluegoose23

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 05:59:04 AM »

Properly made Blackpowder is not significantly hygroscopic. It will absorb some moisture from the air but not enough to significantly affect performance, flintlocks will still shoot etc and when the humidity drops it will return the moisture to the air. If the powder is made with impure ingredients, poor quality saltpeter is a REAL problem for this and why back in the day powder makers were so phobic about it. Then it may absorb more moisture.
BP fouling sucks up humidity like a sponge at RH over 30% or so and this WILL then wet the powder in the bore/pan if there is fouling present.
For those thinking that powder will absorb much moisture from the air think about wool powder bags in the powder room of a sailing ship, below the waterline.... They always had at least some cartridges ready and the bags were certainly not air tight and I doubt the powder barrels were either.

Dan
Good point Dan.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 03:22:59 PM »

It MAY change in rainy weather.   Moisture and raindrops around the pan increase the risk of a slowfire or misfire.   In the absence of rain or drizzle, I'll leave my gun loaded all week long (tagged with orange tape as a "loaded" reminder).     I tend to check my priming powder every half hour or so to make sure it hasn't shifted in the pan away from the vent and to verify it's not showing any signs of having become moisture contaminated.   If the priming isn't obviously bone-dry and ready to go, I clean out the pan and re-prime.    If it's a very rainy day and I've had to re-prime several times, when I get back to camp I think it's prudent to pull the load or blow it out with a CO2 discharger and reload in case any of the main charge near the vent has become moist.   

For hunting, I suggest you make yourself a 'cow's knee' cover or take care when sitting in a blind to keep the lock sheltered from the elements,  check your priming periodically,  and unload the gun when you're ready to leave hunting camp and go back to the house.

Bluegoose23

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »

It MAY change in rainy weather.   Moisture and raindrops around the pan increase the risk of a slowfire or misfire.   In the absence of rain or drizzle, I'll leave my gun loaded all week long (tagged with orange tape as a "loaded" reminder).     I tend to check my priming powder every half hour or so to make sure it hasn't shifted in the pan away from the vent and to verify it's not showing any signs of having become moisture contaminated.   If the priming isn't obviously bone-dry and ready to go, I clean out the pan and re-prime.    If it's a very rainy day and I've had to re-prime several times, when I get back to camp I think it's prudent to pull the load or blow it out with a CO2 discharger and reload in case any of the main charge near the vent has become moist.   

For hunting, I suggest you make yourself a 'cow's knee' cover or take care when sitting in a blind to keep the lock sheltered from the elements,  check your priming periodically,  and unload the gun when you're ready to leave hunting camp and go back to the house.

Thanks!!!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 04:28:58 PM »
Yeah, now that we're discussing the pan.  My previous reply was focused on overnight or through the week when one might not be able to hunt, but is going right back to the woods in short order.

During the hunt it's ALL about keeping the prime fresh.  Clean powder and pan _protected from moisture ingress_ will last long time.

But any residue whatsoever in the pan can turn your prime.  Say you shoot a deer and reload promptly after the shot.  Then you find the deer right away and don't immediately need another shot.  AT that point, I'm dumping the pan and (re)cleaning it (and cover) spotless before I reprime and regrease the pan.  

Because any little spot of residue sucks moisture like it's using a straw and will make a muddy puddle of your prime in short order.

I'm not worried about the miniscule bit of residue in the exposed bore at that point because a good tight ball/patch combo has pushed nearly all of the bbl fouling into the charge area and also put down a barrier.  That even if some bit of corrosion begins during the rest of my hunt, the next shot will remove it.  And that a proper cleaning will happen when darkness falls.

I use tallow/grease to seal up the "waterproof" pan and to divert any water that might run down the bbl toward the lock.  Keeping the muzzle down lets gravity do most of that work for you.  

too wet to fish this morning... :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:36:21 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline heelerau

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 10:13:09 PM »
I leave my Niel Fields Leman rifle loaded for up to a couple of months due to an on going war with the crow(s) and have done the same with my flintlock but with the touch hole plugged with a toothpick. Patches lubed with TOW mink oil.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 11:08:22 PM »
I am conducting another test this year with my lyman g.p. rifle. Last year I had left in loaded from deer season to july 1st. No sign of rust after firing which fired on the first try. This year I have left it loaded and still haven't fired it, yet. Let me explain my method. I first swab out all of the ballistol that I can. Then I bust a coupla caps to make sure all is well with the ignition, then I run as many clean dry patches as it takes to clean the residue out of the barrel. I then load as usual, 75 grains of triple 7, .23 denim patch, and .530 home cast ball. I have used this procedure for years and never had a problem . Over many years of deer hunting I noticed that however long that I left it loaded either 1 week, or 2 months or so, I never had a problem with misfires or rust. Now don't get me wrong, If I hunt in the rain , It gets shot and cleaned as soon as I get home. When I do hunt in the rain I keep the muzzle covered with black tape and I keep a small candle in my shooting bag which I light and drip around the nipple base to seal the nipple from dampness. (CAUTION, ONLY APPLY THE MELTED WAX OUTSIDE WITH THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION,USUALLY TOWARD THE GROUND!!
And only to the base of the nipple and bottom of the cap skirt. Anyway,I am not recommending procedure to anyone ,or leaving your gun loaded for extended periods of time, I am just relating the way I have loaded for years.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 02:27:46 AM »
One situation has not been addressed.  If you fire your rifle and reload it during the day definitely dump the load at the end of the day.  Clean the rifle thorougly so that the next day it will be ready to load into  a clean barrel.  Should go without saying,   but I thought that I would say it any way.

Putting a ribbon or something on the trigger guard is a must and locking the rifle where no one will pick it up is also a good idea.

Bluegoose23

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 06:54:55 AM »
One situation has not been addressed.  If you fire your rifle and reload it during the day definitely dump the load at the end of the day.  Clean the rifle thorougly so that the next day it will be ready to load into  a clean barrel.  Should go without saying,   but I thought that I would say it any way.

Putting a ribbon or something on the trigger guard is a must and locking the rifle where no one will pick it up is also a good idea.
Thanks David

Bluegoose23

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 06:56:05 AM »
Yeah, now that we're discussing the pan.  My previous reply was focused on overnight or through the week when one might not be able to hunt, but is going right back to the woods in short order.

During the hunt it's ALL about keeping the prime fresh.  Clean powder and pan _protected from moisture ingress_ will last long time.

But any residue whatsoever in the pan can turn your prime.  Say you shoot a deer and reload promptly after the shot.  Then you find the deer right away and don't immediately need another shot.  AT that point, I'm dumping the pan and (re)cleaning it (and cover) spotless before I reprime and regrease the pan.  

Because any little spot of residue sucks moisture like it's using a straw and will make a muddy puddle of your prime in short order.

I'm not worried about the miniscule bit of residue in the exposed bore at that point because a good tight ball/patch combo has pushed nearly all of the bbl fouling into the charge area and also put down a barrier.  That even if some bit of corrosion begins during the rest of my hunt, the next shot will remove it.  And that a proper cleaning will happen when darkness falls.

I use tallow/grease to seal up the "waterproof" pan and to divert any water that might run down the bbl toward the lock.  Keeping the muzzle down lets gravity do most of that work for you.  

too wet to fish this morning... :D
As always - thanks Wade.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 12:39:58 AM »
I definetly  agree with what David said. Always clean after shooting, whether it is only one time , or several times.

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 05:49:00 AM »
I definetly  agree with what David said. Always clean after shooting, whether it is only one time , or several times.

topknot

Eggs
Act
Lee

Right, but as we have said, if you load a clean gun on the eve of Opening Day, go the entire season without firing a shot (my 2013-14 season), the load should still be fine next year or the year after...if it hasn't "seen" too much weather. 

Quill tells me it's "hot".

Hold to the Wind

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 10:23:37 PM »
I left a cap gun loaded overnight because I was going to hunt again next day. One thing led to another and I didn't get back to the woods. Almost a year later we took the same gun to the range. I put a cap on the nipple and pointed to some blades of grass to make sure everything was clear. The grass disappeared in a cloud of smoke. My buddy said that he thought that cap sounded kind of loud.

Bottom line......people with bad memories should not leave a charge in the gun.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 01:10:36 AM »
When someone hands me a gun, I check if it's loaded. It's an automatic thing. I just do it. If the ramrod sticks out longer than it did when in the pipes, I assume it's loaded . Many of them I've come across are loaded. Gun sent back for repair…..guess what….loaded  ??? Pistol sent to me for non sparking frizzen…loaded  ??? 
Modern guns, I open the breach with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction as soon as it is in my hands.  Always.
I even found a Model 94 at a gun store with a round in the chamber.
I check my own guns just the same, even though I know their loaded  ;D Not much use if they aren't.