Author Topic: Skirmish Shoot  (Read 2272 times)

Offline heelerau

Skirmish Shoot
« on: July 20, 2014, 04:25:48 PM »
Gents, today I had my first comp with the Perth Muzzleloading Club. It was a team shoot, two shooters per team and a spotter scorer. It involved engaging targets at various unknown ranges during a walk through the scrub. It was a mixture of paper targets, gongs, bear cans full of water and and a swinging target, a running pig target.  I missed the first rabbit, and the beer can, scored on all the rest. the second last target was a square gong at about 120 yds, doubled the powder charge to hit that one. Only missed the rabbit and a beer can, seem to be out of plinking practise.   The rifle I used was my Niel Fields .40 Lancaster flintlock , the other chap was also using a Niel Fields flintlock Kentucky long rifle. Finished equal third with 72 points.  It was a real fun shoot and took about 40 minutes and a walk of about 1/4 mile. Being winter down under, no snakes !!.  Charge 35 grs FFFg, .375 ball and thick patch ( still having trouble reading a micrometer) mink oil from TOW.

cheers from down under

Heelerau ;D
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline PPatch

Re: Skirmish Shoot
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 06:47:51 PM »
Great report and that sounds like all sorts of fun. Just grab those serpents by the tail, swing them around your head and snap'em like a bullwhip - their heads fly right off. My grandfather taught me that trick when we were frog gigging down a stream one night.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline trentOH

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 07:23:04 PM »
Great report and that sounds like all sorts of fun. Just grab those serpents by the tail, swing them around your head and snap'em like a bullwhip - their heads fly right off. My grandfather taught me that trick when we were frog gigging down a stream one night.

dp

He's down under. You have to remember to swing the serpent in the other direction.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 02:00:23 AM »
We just swing em by the head and their tails fall off !! ;)
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !