Author Topic: Dye for buckskin  (Read 10953 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Dye for buckskin
« on: July 21, 2014, 05:28:53 AM »
I recently got a new set of skins in an off white color with the rough side out.  Since you guys deal with buckskin all the time I thought I would ask about dyeing it a more acceptable color.  Any ideas?  Is it even worth doing?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Rich

Re: Dye for buckskin
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:02:38 AM »
Rit dye in tan looks good. They also make a dye remover. I would use the remover first then dye them tan.

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 02:40:42 PM »
I've used both the liquid and powder form of Rit.  In my experience you don't have to bother with the remover.  Mix the dye with warm water in a 5 gallon joint compound bucket making sure all of the dye (in the case of the powder) is mixed and put in the leather.  Really work the leather in the dye to assure good coverage.  Soak for a while.  Remove, rinse and let dry.  Should be color fast and last a long time.
Kevin

Offline Timber

• Starting Member
    • Leather from the past
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 03:07:21 PM »
Don't use hot water or you may end up with something that will fit the little boy down the road! :o

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:40:08 PM »
 If you want them to look like the real thing, instead of something someone dyed at home, smoke them just like they were originally. I prefer using cedar that has rotted on the ground and is kind of chunky, and a little pinky.
 The advice about hot water is not correct. I was given a bunch of commercial tanned buckskin years ago, that was as yellow as a school bus, and slick as a salamander. I decided that since I didn't have anything invested, I could do a little experimenting. I had made a pair of buckskin leggings ( slick side in) out of some of the leather, but they were way too yellow. So, I thew the leggings into a washing machine full of hot water, with some Rit dye remover. When they had been in for the prescribed time, I removed them, and hung them on a cloths line in the shade. They looked kind of green, but all the bright yellow was gone. The green color faded when they dried, and after I wore them a while I started getting compliments on my brain tanned leggings.
 I am an advisor for the Order of the Arrow in my area. So, we do a lot of native crafts using buckskin. We have found that chalk line chalk, and masonry tint, powder rubbed into the nap of the leather does a great job of adding, or changing color. Surprisingly, it doesn't easily come off when worked into the nap of the leather with a cheap throw away chip brush with the bristles cut back very short. Just, work the powder into the nap in small circular motions, and don't get it where you don't want it, its not easy to get off.
                      Hungry Horse

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 04:47:35 PM »
Roger, if you decide on a dye.look at some leather dealers on line,they make an antiqueing dye that works well.bought it several years ago and it gives a good grungy look.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:18 PM »
 Don't look into leather dye unless you own an air brush. Dry brushing techniques don't work well with leather dyes. And, any other applicator usually ends up making the project pretty spotty.

Hungry Horse

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 02:31:31 AM »
Maybe I got lucky, mine turned out great.

Offline Roger B

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 08:15:35 PM »
Do you remember the maker of the antique dye and the color?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:37 AM »
Roger, I think it was fieberlings might not be spelled right. I got it from Tandy leather in the 80's but you might get it from Kentucky Leather co. they have a web site. I would give them a call.

Offline Roger B

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:25:38 PM »
Thankyakindly!
Roger B.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »
Actually the brain tanned is kind of a vanilla color before it's smoked.  I have a small piece of Nez Perce leather and thats what it looks like, bout 150 yr. old...let 'em wear on you for a few seasons...Tom

Offline Kevin Houlihan

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 03:16:55 AM »
 To go along with what Tom was saying, years ago I bought a pile of sheep hides at rendezvous. The hides were kind of off white. They were made into a coat and 2 pairs of leggings. The leggings I just let age by wearing at rendezvous. The coat I hung over a fire in my tipi and smoked. Didn't t take too long until they looked like brain tan.
Kevin

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »
 Tom, and Kevin have it right. This is most definitely one of those less is more cases, where it is really easy to overdo it. the leather dye you are talking about, is a penetrating spirit based stain, that is nearly impossible to apply in light coats, without making a big dark spot. The only way I have ever seen it done, with any degree of success, is with an air brush. And even then, it looked more like one of those pre-distressed cowboy hats you see at the rodeo.

Hungry Horse

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 06:56:54 PM »
Walnut hulls.

Centershot

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 07:32:48 PM »
Walnut hull dye is a current fad in buck skinning, that I am quite sure is much more common today, than it was in the colonial time period. I would suspect walnut hulls were only used when there wasn't any other dye stuff available. It is hard to control, and usually makes a rather muddy grey color, unless you use it almost straight. When you use walnut hulls in that concentration it dyes everything it touches,and stinks to high heavens. Trust me, I own three acres of walnuts. This is not the go to dye material.

Hungry Horse

Offline Roger B

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 07:49:55 PM »
.I think that I'll just smoke these.  Lord knows I could use the improvement in smell ;D.  Never done it before, but I'm sure I'll need plenty of smoke and almost no heat. Any pointers on how to do it?  Any particular wood that works well or imparts a pleasant odor?  Cedar?
Roger B.

Online T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 08:18:33 PM »
If they are "garment tanned" hides and have already been dyed, they won't accept walnut dye.  They may not accept Rit dye either as they were treated at the tannery with something that inhibits dyeing.

Spirit dyes are alcohol based.  You put the dye on with a rag soaked in the dye.  Then you take a sopping wet rag and go over the hide to even things out.  Spirit dye will transfer to your skin when you sweat.  This will happen several wearings and then cease.  It will also fade after a while.

If you are going to smoke them and make fake braintan, then sand the smooth side to rough it up first.  Jim Emerson used to make some of the finest braintan east of the MS, which he always sold out at the CLA show.  If I remember, he made a tripod and sheathed it with canvas.  Small smokehole at the top.  I think he piped his smoke into the tripod from a small camp stove so he could feed the fire from outside and control it better.  I'm thinking where you live that cottonwood might be the best wood to use.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

hawknknife

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 05:34:08 AM »
   One method I have used with success to age/color buffalo hide with alcohol based dye is to pour about two inches of rubbing alcohol in a large pan like the tin foil turkey roasting pans and dip the finished leather project in the alcohol till it is sopping soaked.  Then, with a water color paint brush or any 1 inch brush, paint the leather die in the areas you desire to color or make look "aged"  The die will bleed out into the wet leather like doing a water color painting on wet paper.  I then sun dry it and it will dry much lighter, finish with bees wax.  I have used this method on possibles bags, gun cases and other leather to be aged.
   I can post pics of finished items if anyone would be interested...Carl