Author Topic: English fowler for id and information **photos added**  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
English fowler for id and information **photos added**
« on: July 22, 2014, 02:38:04 AM »
A friend of mine (and ALR member) asked me to post photos of this fowler to see what information members might be able to furnish. I notice there is no close-up of the Ketland lock so I asked him to make one and send it to me. Will post it when I get the photo.

The only thing that appears to have been done to it is the obvious forearm replacement. The rest appears original including the flint Ketland lock.

Hopefully he will be able to answer any questions you might have.
Dennis

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 06:35:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: English fowler for id and information **photos added**
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 06:38:28 PM »
I just posted a better photo of the proof marks and added a closeup of the lock. He is interested in any information you might offer. I.E. approximate build date, where built, appear all original other than obvious forearm repair etc.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
It looks to me to be an export, late 18th to 1810 Birmingham made Ketland marked gun. The barrel marks are of the ordnance house at the tower wharf in London. The cock is added.  Will look some more at it when I can view it on pc.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:40:50 PM by James Rogers »

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 11:51:16 PM »
 It could be a chiefs grade trade gun. Many of the parts are the same style. It doesn't seem to have the classic chiefs grade engraving, but not all chiefs grade guns did.

Hungry Horse

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »
It looks to me to be an export, late 18th to 1810 Birmingham made Ketland marked gun. The barrel marks are of the ordnance house at the tower wharf in London. The cock is added.  Will look some more at it when I can view it on pc.
Ditto
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 01:37:23 AM »
A perfectly normal export grade fowler. It predates 1805... probably 1795-1805.