Author Topic: Gun vise  (Read 4796 times)

B Staley

Gun vise
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:03:35 PM »
What's the best vise to use for taking out a breach plug? The reason for the question is the vise I have even using wooden blocks the barrel starts moving......:(

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
Re: Gun vise
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »
I use a big 6" machinist vise for barrel work, with 1/16" thick sheet brass covering the jaws so I don't put teeth marks in the barrel.  Wood, leather, etc. is going to be too flexible and allow the barrel to twist out of the jaws as you remove the plug.  If it's a tapered barrel, take up some of the taper with some extra shims of thin brass or steel, and remember to grip the barrel just ahead of the breech plug threads.
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:24:24 PM »
B. Staley; Sir, A machinest style vise of good size. My vise weights in at 71 pounds, nothing moves in this vise. However the overkill factor is to be considered. Quality of vice also is a factor AJ.
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Stuartg

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
I use an old 6 inch Wilton vise that I picked up from an estate sale. It's built like a tank. It's hard to find a vise built in the US, but if you look around you can pick them up at very reasonable prices.

Stuartg

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 08:44:10 PM »
Forgot to mention, I bought a brass door kick panel from a hardware store and fashioned to wrap around the jaws of the vise. Works great for not marking up your barrel.

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »
Adding to the comments about needing a solid vice, I use an old 12" Stillson wrench, with the jaws covered with brass.  I then use a 2' length of pipe over the wrench handle.  With this leverage, I can "sneak up" on the pressure required to loosen or tighten the breech plug.  Working the breech plug becomes very easy -- no risk of applying too much torque.  I also coat the breech plug threads with a mix of vaseline and graphite (Shumway's Recreating the American Longrifle).  Have never had a problem since I started using this routine.

Bill

B Staley

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys I need to find a bigger vise.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 12:04:16 AM »
What Eric said for sure.

One other tip, position the barrel in the vise such that you are pushing down on the wrench handle.   Otherwise you could be lifting your bench.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 02:12:53 AM »
Otherwise you could be lifting your bench.

-Ron

HA - I've done that before  ::)
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 03:28:18 AM »
I use an old blacksmith's post vice bolted to the heavy bench with jaw protectors made from a piece of 1 1/2" copper pipe. I cut two lengths of pipe and throw it in the wood stove to anneal then split it lengthwise and form it over the jaws. I fold a small piece of copper over the plug to pad the wrench jaws.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »
I have a pretty crappy vise with about 5 inch jaws but it gets the job done because I make a barrel holding tool for each barrel.  It has been posted before - a couple of 2x4 pieces of hard maple.  Hollow out the face of each piece so that the barrel will fit between the pieces.  Put Bondo in the hollows; wrap the barrel in saran wrap ; position the two pieces just behind the breech and clamp them in the vise until the next day.  The squeezed out Bondo will probably glue the two pieces together so you will be able to slip the tool off over the muzzle.  It grips the barrel on all surfaces and provides a vise grip that doesn't twist out of even my crappy vise.  Mark the blocks for the barrel as you will probably make another for your next barrel. 

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
I use copper pads in the jaws of a 5" machinist's vise. Brass would probably work just as well. I've tried wood and even oak has too much give to get some plugs out.