Author Topic: Shreckengost homesites from 1772 to 1804  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Shreckengost homesites from 1772 to 1804
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:24:16 PM »
The homesite of 5th great grandfather Conrad Schrecengost, gunsmith of Northumberland Cty PA.  His farm sits about 1 mile from the village of Klingerstown PA near the forks of Mahantango Creek (Mahantango means place of plentiful game) and Pine Creek on William Penn's Spread Eagle Manor.
Conrad was Benjamin's father (pictured in my avatar).

This is the homesite of Conrad's brother Heinrich also a gunsmith.  This farm is just over the hill from his brother's.  The homesite was at the left breast of this pond.  I spoke to the son of the man who made the pond and his father removed the foundation stones when he built the breast of the pond.

This is the homesite of John Shreckengost, son of Heinrich and father of famous western PA gunsmith William G. Shreckengost.  John was also a gunsmith and this farm is across the road from Conrad's.   The original foundation is below the trees along the creek.

This is a log gristmill fed by 2 races which was built approximately 1803 near the Shreckengost farms.  Likely they did business at this mill.  It is being torn down as I write this post.  In the nearest corner of the mill you can see the original 6 log side of the mill.  These logs are over 40 feet long and about 15 inches square.  I have no idea how they got them up there in 1803, but it must have been
laborsome.  It's a shame nobody could save this mill.  The owner thinks it's the last standing Log mill in PA

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:07:04 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
Re: Shreckengost homesites from 1772 to 1804
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:25:45 AM »
Schreickmeister -

The property that had been in your family is so beautiful, all of Pennsylvania is that way. Again, you are fortunate to have this many rifle smiths in the family and then to know about your family history.

John Henry de France had property all along the Susquehanna in Southeastern Pennsylvania 1740-1794, mostly on the left bank. John Henry was a     tailor by trade. He was also a farmer. He and his two oldest sons, along with two brother-in-law’s were all riflemen. The five were all in the American Revolutionary War. Captain Hawkins Boone and General Daniel Morgan married Elizabeth's sister Sarah.

John Henry was in Elizabethtown with his first wife, with their aunt, an Allison. John Henry and his second wife, Elizabeth Boone, had 7 more children, all born in Dauphin county.
 All were about 30 some miles apart.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 07:07:20 PM by chrisdefrance »
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »
Thanks Chris.  It was spiritual seeing where the ancient ones tread.  I failed to mention in the
previous post that the Tulpehocken Path runs directly between Conrad and John's farms.  Actually
the foundation of John's house is within 200 yards of the Tulpehocken Path.  The local
historian told me a local kid with a metal detector recently dug up some pre 1810 british coins
on the farm.  Also of interest was that many of the local names there are also local names around
Klingerstown are also family names near West Shamokin in Armstrong Cty where the Shreckengosts
moved to in 1804 by pack horse.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:04:59 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:27:53 AM »
Beautiful Landscape.
Buck

projeeper

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
there are stillshreckengost family members in western Pa they own a nursery on rt 62 north of Pgh in Forest county