Author Topic: H Ledford rifle  (Read 3474 times)

Des

H Ledford rifle
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:52:30 AM »
I have someone trying to sell me what he calls a "wall hanger". It is a half stock rifle of about 40 caliber. The barrel is stamped H LEDFORD.  I checked on this forum and found pictures of rifles made by Ledford. The stock, trigger group and trim appears to be the same as pictured except the following.

All pictures I have seen are flintlocks and this is a percussion. Could possible be a conversion? Did he do percussion?  The bolster is missing but there are square cut threads in the barrel for it.

This rifle has no patch box and is pretty plain. The stock is cut the same even to the way the check piece is.

The stock has had a couple of repairs and wood has shrunk around the lock. dark bore but no pits observed

I am at a loss as to the value and what to offer. I know it is hard to judge with no pictures but I am not sure how to post them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Des
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:58:24 AM by Des »

Offline gibster

Re: H Ledford rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:17:42 AM »
PM Sent. I will post the pictures if you will send them to me.

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Here are the pictures of the Ledford rifle.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 08:58:27 PM »
Henry Ledford made many half-stock, percussion, Longrifles.  He worked until 1853 and died in 1856.  The rifle you are looking at would have been made around 1840, give or take five years. It has always been percussion.  The rifle has late Davidson School architecture.  The rifles he made after 1845 are of the Jamestown School architecture. That is what was selling at that time.

If you are interested in a more ornate rifle by this maker, I have one with 16 silver inlays that is for sale.  It is the same architecture.  Henry Ledford was a prolific maker of Longrifles.  Many of his rifles survive.

Michael Briggs        
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 09:02:08 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 05:57:39 PM »
I also currently have a LEDFORD halfstock, which I recently acquired with several other guns in a "package deal". It is also quite plain, but in decent condition, with a good bore.  Des could soon have a small collection of Ledford rifles, if interested.