Author Topic: Pre Cut patches for .40  (Read 7549 times)

Offline heelerau

Pre Cut patches for .40
« on: July 31, 2014, 09:45:34 PM »
Gentlemen, if I want to use square cut patches, what size? if I use a wad punch?  I normally cut at the muzzle.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Kermit

Re: Pre Cut patches for .40
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
I normally cut at the muzzle.

Pardon the silly question, but why the interest in making this change?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Stuartg

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »
I pre-cut mine because I don't want to whip out my patch material and knife every time I reload - especially while hunting. It's just faster.

For my 40 cal my square patches I cut by just eye-balling it - 1" by 1" or so, maybe a tad smaller. They shoot just fine!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 01:25:37 AM »
I also like patches around 1" (+ or -) for a .40.  I use striped ticking and cut strips of 6 lines (white and blue) which suffices for .45 as well.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 01:35:17 AM »
Recover one of your cut patches that was half a ball diamiter below the muzzle when you cut it. Measure it and cut acording to that.

Offline SCLoyalist

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:52:24 AM »
2.57X0.40 = 1.03 would give you a patch the same width as you're getting  by seating even with the muzzle and cutting with a knife.  I use 1" square for both .36 and .40, but I usually snip the corners off to make the patches more or less octagonal.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 06:54:58 AM »
Recover one of your cut patches that was half a ball diamiter below the muzzle when you cut it. Measure it and cut acording to that.

MFT!

(my first thought)

armchair experts ain't we  :P
Hold to the Wind

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:06:58 PM »
myself I like to cut at the muzzle for competition shooting. when hunting I still use that method but if you want you can be less fussy and use a precut.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 09:18:58 PM »
Yep, I cut at the muzzle.  This is no where like a speed game even loading for a second shot on game w premeasured powder tubes, pre lubed pre cut patches etc . . . . well it just ain't no speed game but if that's what blows your skirt up, go ahead, ain't no law against it and I wouldn't support one.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline J Henry

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
  I use precut/lubed, round patches.Center them as best as I can on the muzzle and set the RB and push it home..I can't see how the patch doesn't shift some as it is pushed down the barrel, so exact at the muzzle is good,,I guess..IMMHO.
  From time to time ,I get the feeling we try to add more than is necessary and/or useful JMMHO
 I shoot with a fella that uses a pressure gage to load,ever shot the same pressure when it is seated on the powder,powder measures to the exact and temperature,barrel heat/time in the sun is also figured in,,,he has fun and that is how he wants to do it,,good on him.Might be something in it,,I just missed it!!!!

Vomitus

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 12:16:07 AM »
   I make my own round pre-cuts for all my rifles and guns. Various sizes though.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 02:45:53 PM »
Gentlemen,  after I sent this question off, I realised it was an excersize in the bloody obvious, and should just have looked at one of my fired patches.!  I use a loading block on occasion if I need a fast second shot, hence the precuts. I saw a chap the other day using a Pensylvania style longrifle, he was using quite large square pre cut patches, guess that rattled around in my head for awhile.
 Thank you gentlemen.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
Gentlemen,  ...I saw a chap the other day using ...rattled around in my head for awhile.

Be very careful with your observations.  I do also learn a lot from observing others*. BUT (big but) without putting some thought and understanding into it, mimicry, "monkey see monkey do" is an easy way to pick up BAD habits and unsound practices.  It's probably how many of the myths and misconceptions stay alive in our sport.

*One can learn from anyone, but sometimes it's what _not_ to do he learns.  ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2014, 07:32:05 PM »
Most of us shoot round patches- because they are easily and readily made. UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) ie: poly in Canada, or in the US - HDP (High Density Poly) in a 2" thick block makes for a VERY long lived cutting block for patch cutting. So far, is has proven to be VERY much supior to all other materials we've tried and I think we've tried most of the normal, previously suggested materials suitable ones - wood- end or side grain, several species as well and lead. The plastic is best and is not toxic if you spit lube your patches for target shooting.
The Poly blocks are available at specialty plastic's shops. It's the same material used for chain guides in mills, cutting blocks in butcher shops and for bearings in some mill machinery.  Here, a 10" square piece of coloured UHMW costs about $10.00. It is heavy - mailing would be VERY expensive.

Of course, square cut patches work too.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 07:39:09 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Kermit

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 12:12:40 AM »
Daryl, do those bearings make for smoother loading?  ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »
Hey, up there in that GWN, you don't want to lose your bearings.  :D
Hold to the Wind

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 01:26:40 AM »
I cut at the muzzle . That way I don't worry about the ball not being centered on the patch, which it is every time. That is consistency every time which = more accurate as has been proven years ago by the bevel brothers. When hunting it has been my experience that the first shot is what matters the most, not the second or third. Just my experience on the matter.

topknot

TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

omark

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 03:58:13 AM »
Naw, they're armor piercing rounds for your assault flintlock.

Vomitus

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 08:42:41 AM »
   Kermy, the big round ones are for flaring the muzzle,lol.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2014, 06:55:32 AM »
   Kermy, the big round ones are for flaring the muzzle,lol.

LOL!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V