Author Topic: FL pistol in NEB historic house collection  (Read 3292 times)

Meteorman

FL pistol in NEB historic house collection
« on: August 01, 2014, 03:09:28 PM »
Attended an event in Nebraska City that included a tour of the historic home in J. Sterling Morton, whose son Joy went on to fame and fortune founding the Morton table salt business.  
Since we had some Nebraska state VIPs with us, we were shown into the locked room in basement with a locked safe full of miscellaneous guns and knives.
The tour master didn't have much info on any of the items but he did pull out a flintlock pistol and said I could take pictures if I wanted.
Lighting was bad, camera was not the best, time was short, but just passing along these photos for general interest.  
Could be an uninteresting Pakistani cheapo for all I know.  Any opinions on general source/style ?

mike

Moderator note: Photos of non-sidelock military pistol removed
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:44:59 PM by EvonAschwege »

Offline Chris Treichel

Re: FL pistol in NEB historic house collection
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
That pistol looks like it could have been an old dragoon that lost its butt cap and has other engravings and carvings done to it. Or a replica of one that was broken. 

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:54:13 PM »
The 2nd pistol looks like a pistol I saw on TV not to long ago. I believe its Confederate, and the smaller barrel is a shotgun. If memory serves me its a 10 gauge? I remember it sported a pretty hefty price tag, not my area of knowledge but interesting.
Buck

Meteorman

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:45:34 PM »
Yes, Chris, it lost its buttcap and trigger guard and a thumbpiece too looks like.

Buck - yep.  more on the LeMat can be read here:

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Pistols/LeMat%20Revolvers/Le%20Mat.htm

Offline Collector

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:41 PM »
It's not a Pakistani tourist item.  It is/was a German pistol that was "made for the Eastern Trade"... and they made a ton of them, with varying degrees of embellishment that appealed to their customers 'regional tastes.'  I have one, in 'complete' condition that my grand kids call a 'pirate gun.' 

Could be an uninteresting Pakistani cheapo for all I know.  Any opinions on general source/style ?

mike

Moderator note: Photos of non-sidelock military pistol removed

Offline Habu

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 04:10:48 PM »
I wondered if that was the one when I saw your post.  There are other pistols scattered around at various historic sites in Nebraska, but that is one of the few flintlocks.  

You were about 130 miles SSE of the site of this year's "gathering of gunstockers", an informal sorta-annual get-together of about a dozen riflemakers and almost as many collectors.  We aren't particularly well-organized, but it is a great way to see and handle originals, and talk rifle-building.  I don't recall exact numbers, but I know there were flint pistols there from Wheeler, Deringer, Chance, and Ketland that weekend.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 12:49:33 AM by Habu »

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
meteorman,
Thankds for the Link. Nice to know the memory still works on occasion.
Buck