Author Topic: Jacob/John Stoudenour  (Read 1960 times)

Offline Steve Collward

Jacob/John Stoudenour
« on: August 01, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
  Does anyone know of examples of Bedford County maker Jacob or John Stoudenour's work?  One of Jacob's guns was sold at the Julia auction last October and was illustrated in their catalog.  Apparently this gun was also in the "Kentucky Rifles and Pistols 1750-1850" book.
  Any information is appreciated.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Jacob/John Stoudenour
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 10:40:10 PM »
There are many Bedford style longrifles signed "J.S". It has always been presumed that this is Jacob. I understand there exists a "few" with full barrrel signatures, signed Jacob. There is one known example of one signed " John Stoudenour" and dated. It is of similar quality to the most appreciated "JS" guns. I have wondered whether Jacob and John, at some  time worked , togther and signed "THEIR" guns "JS". Perhaps Jacob made the gun signed "John" and placed his name ( "John") there as a presentation piece. If John was a maker why is only one gun known to exist and it be of such high artistic merit. I have reached out to known relatives but had no success in resolving these questions. Amongst the many guns pictured in books there are two distinct styles of decoration: #1 Q-finial patch boxes  2. Patchboxes with Multiple "cut outs" with inlays within the cut outs . The signed "John" has cut outs and inlays. Perhaos John was not a maker...perhaps an apprentice of sorts to Jacob.  What all this means remains to be proven.
Thoughts welcome.
Hurricane