Author Topic: George Slaysman of Lewistown PA  (Read 3413 times)

Offline DaveM

George Slaysman of Lewistown PA
« on: August 07, 2014, 03:01:40 AM »
Has anyone seen any rifles by this maker (father of Charles Slaysman per info I found here on ALR) , or know of photos of any (Other than the G. Slaysman pictured in Kauffman's book).  Thanks,

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: George Slaysman of Lewistown PA
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 05:00:27 AM »
I have not but I would like to see one.  One of those slaysmans operated a stagecoach stop in my home town of kittanning pa and our local history book has a picture of his house described as the oldest dwelling in the town. I could dig it up. Serves me that one of them worked in indiana cty pa also for a time
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 05:30:57 AM »
I bought a George Slaysman rifle several years ago at the Baltimore Gun Show, it was signed G Slaysman on the barrel as well as the lock. Nice little rifle, but it left in a trade a while back and unfortunately I never took any pictures of it.

Frank

Offline DaveM

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
Thanks guys - I bought an old rifle from photos because the butt stock shape looked rather early to me.  Roman nose with heavy drop (I thought maybe it was berks county), flat buttplate a bit over 1-1/2 inch wide, long 48 inch octagon to round rifled barrel of a larger caliber, maple, early type triggerguard without a rail mounted with a screw at the rear and simple finials, double set trigger, simple teardrop wrist inlay, simple incised lines along forestock and buttstock - otherwise a plain gun, no patchbox. 

When I got the rifle, I was surprised by the markings - it is signed "Geo. Slaysman" on the barrel clearly in script, and inscribed "Lewis Town 1804" clearly on the long sideplate in script.  I was hoping to see some other examples of his work, especially earlier ones and would be interesting to know who he learned from.   Need to do a bit of work on it and it needs a lock, and some idiot removed the mortise wood around the lock when it was converted - so it needs restoration there.  Based on the mortise it had a large lock (about 5-5/8) with a banana shape along thre bottom and matching long sideplate (flush with the wood not beveled). 

I'm trying to decide whether to use a germanic lock or english one - any thoughts?  I am having a hard time finding a repro lock large enough but suitable to this timeframe and any thoughts are appreciated. 

So George would have been only 22 when this was made, perhaps one of his first efforts.  The sideplate and ramrod pipes are simple very thin sheet brass and the triggerguard looks like he probably made that also.  I'll do some pics after it looks presentable.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »
We'd love to see pic's now if you have them...
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »
My Slaysman was made a good bit later Dave, probably mid 1820's, and the name on the lock and barrel were stamped on in block letters.  Sounds like Slaysman had a long career and you got an early one, congratulations!

Frank