Author Topic: Thank you!  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Natureboy

Thank you!
« on: August 07, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
Fellow smoke makers,
   I want to thank everyone who has posted such helpful information and advice in such a friendly manner.  I've been shooting BP since I was a teenager during the Pleistocene, but it was with my g-grandfather's Mississippi Rifle that he carried on Sherman's Goodwill Tour of the South.  Caplock plus Minie balls is pretty easy, but now I'm shooting a lovely Colonial Long Rifle made by Terry Williams at Early Rustic Arms.  A 42" .54 Colerain barrel, flintlock.  I've read every posting about patch material, lube, basic load, etc, and followed the general consensus on these issues, and my gun really likes the combination of linen patches cut at the muzzle, Hoppe's #9 Plus lube, and 70 grains ffg.  I'd like to try Mr. Flintlock, and I'll get some of that, too.  The gun has settled down nicely and shoots tight groups--that's where the humorous part of this posting comes in.
  I went to the local range in Vancouver, WA, and there were some young bucks there with their plastic fantastic "zip guns" equipped with scopes.  They were somewhat amused by all the work I had to go through to shoot, while they were cramming mags into their heaters and popping away.  Two young Japanese guys were especially laughing at the old coot with the funny gun.  I shot 8 rounds while those guys put about 30 or 40 rounds downrange.  Then it was time to walk down to the targets and the snickering stopped.  Their targets looked like they had been hit by shotguns, and mine had 8 rounds in a 2" group right on the bull.  This was the best grouping I've had since starting to use the flinter, and it's thanks to the sage advice I've obtained in this forum that I've been able to come up with the best combination of powder/patch/ball.  Thanks again, friends!

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:07:35 AM »
I shot 8 rounds while those guys put about 30 or 40 rounds downrange.  Then it was time to walk down to the targets and the snickering stopped.  Their targets looked like they had been hit by shotguns, and mine had 8 rounds in a 2" group right on the bull.

Natureboy,

It's always a pleasure demonstrating that 30 shots and 30 misses in a given period of time is always trumped by 5 shots and 5 bulls eyes in the same period of time.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline volatpluvia

• Doing mission work in sunny south, Mexico
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:08:11 AM »
Don't you just love making the snickering stop?
volatpluvia
I believe, therefore I speak.  Apostle Paul.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 01:23:07 AM »
Spray & Pray---vs one shot one hit.    Works for the USMC.....semper-fi  Tom

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 01:25:23 AM »
Great story, one for the grandkids. Thanks for bringing it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 02:11:28 AM »
   Last Spring, I was talking with an Iraq/Afghanistan vet, and asked:  "is it true that you don't have to put the powder and ball down the muzzle anymore?"  He responded:  "Yeah, and we don't shoot at velociraptors, either."  I love my fellow vets!

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:49:27 PM »
Sad thing about this whole thing is that the young shooters (and older one's as well) will fail to absorb the lesson they just witnessed.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:53 PM »
  The lesson is pretty simple.  Anytime you see such wide groups, assume the shooter is flinching.  Those AR15s and the like don't kick much, but those guys were obviously jerking the trigger and flinching.  When I was in Basic Training at Ft. Lewis, the drill sergeants asked me to help out the guys who were having trouble, and it was always the same thing.  So I would load their magazines, and put a dud round about #3 in the stack.  Sure enough, when they triggered the dud, they flinched, and the lesson was learned.  The only good thing about a flash in the pan is that it tells you whether or not you're flinching.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 12:43:27 AM »
...  I shot 8 rounds while those guys put about 30 or 40 rounds downrange.  Then it was time to walk down to the targets and the snickering stopped.  Their targets looked like they had been hit by shotguns, and mine had 8 rounds in a 2" group right on the bull...  Thanks again, friends!

Thanks for representing us well.   ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline J Henry

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 01:34:49 AM »
gunmaker  got to go with you on this one!!!! one shot,, one kill  (not recon by fire),,,  or you just gave away your position,now your even with the other shooter,,pray he is as bad a shot as you were.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2014, 03:23:31 AM »
@!*%, I seem to remember velociraptors raiding the chook house and stealing eggs !! ;D Good on you mate, few shewing the art of shooting rather than the science !!

cheers

Heelerau
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 09:32:19 AM »
  I assume that you're talking about Australia?  There are some very strange critters there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see velociraptors. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »
I just can't figure why they started hopping around, instead of running? Seems they've lost their pointy teeth & taste for red meat too.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V