Author Topic: Short arm on the Craigslist  (Read 3136 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Short arm on the Craigslist
« on: August 08, 2014, 01:19:16 AM »
Can anybody tell of the authenticity by the crappy photos?

I'm not a player, go for it.

99 percent of my "hits" on C/L for Flintlock are for yardsales on "Flintlock Ct/St/Rd"

This one surprised me.  I'm nearly completely ignorant of original pistols, but i gotta start sommers.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/clt/4589700689.html
Hold to the Wind

Online Fullstock longrifle

Re: Short arm on the Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 01:58:18 AM »
It's a common piece made in Belgium, I've seen a bunch of them through the years, they don't seem to have much value (but it is an antique).  As for the date, more like 1820 I would think.

Frank

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 02:20:08 AM »
Is this the hand gun that was sold for years by Bannerman as the 'Bannerman Bucaneer?' They are pretty common and never seem to fetch a huge amount of money. I think that the old Bannerman catalogs had them for sale and later copies of the catalog had photos of the pistol. Most seem to have been made in Belgiun, if not all of them.
Dick

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 02:24:49 AM »
Belgian, more like 1840. There is some speculation that they were made for one of the Indian independent states (because they are very similar to an EIC and British pistol) and were never delivered. Bannerman had a lot of them and they were in his catalog right through the 30s. We used to call them "pirate pistols". They work quite well... I remember shooting cans off a fence with one in the 70s. We kept it around as an appropriate 4th of July noisemaker.

They are NEVER seen converted which pretty proves they were all imported long after muzzle loading pistols were obsolete.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 02:26:00 AM by JV Puleo »

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:07:21 AM »
Nothing much as the other guys said, but thanks for looking and posting it here, Wade!
John
John Robbins

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 12:35:39 AM »
Nothing much as the other guys said, but thanks for looking and posting it here, Wade!
John

About what i figgered "educated guessing".  Now my guesses can be more edumacated.

Yes, it could have been something and US folks need first crack at that stuff eh.  Everything is a learning opportunity.  It could have been a 1972 import/DGW or an in-fact genuine article of historic interest.  But then the interesting articles aren't generally owned by the clueless.

Always a chance yet.  ;)

Thanks Folks!

Hold to the Wind