Author Topic: Unusual Eagle Patchbox Rifle  (Read 8996 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Unusual Eagle Patchbox Rifle
« on: August 09, 2014, 06:54:27 PM »
I recently obtained this interesting rifle, mainly because of the folk art eagle finial on the patchbox. I've never seen one another like it, but when I opened the patchbox lid, there was an old note inside by a previous owner that said to look on page 37 of Dillin's book.  I did, and sure enough, there pictured was another rifle with the same patchbox by the same maker.

It's a long, lightweight gun with a 44" full octagon barrel.  The brass has been lightly cleaned, but the wood has never been touched. I think I know where (and possibly by who) the rifle was made (it's not signed), but at this point it's only an educated guess.  I would like to hear other opinions and thoughts about it's maker. Apologies for the quality of the pictures, they were taken with my phone.  Thanks!

Frank

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 07:23:32 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Unusual Eagle Patchbox Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 08:25:24 PM »
That is an awesome finial. I see the one in Dillin's book is marked  Christ.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 08:34:19 PM »
Yes Mark, I forgot about that. Mine is also marked Christ on the bottom flat of the barrel, he was a barrel maker in the Bucks County, Reading area. I guess that's a big clue.  ;)
Frank

Offline DaveM

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 09:05:20 PM »
Frank, awesome rifle - looks like a Jacob Georg sideplate?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:26:45 PM »
Everything reminds me of my samuel states rifle. Particularly the sideplate, toe plate, fluted nosecap. Barrel keys. Trigger guard. Stock arch and engraving. It was either him or the youngs. Very cool finial. I think he considered his finials to be the crowning touch on his rifles as they are all artistic and hiw own design
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:34:30 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline debnal

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:43:15 PM »
Frank,
Very cool find! The guy that found that one must be one $#*! of a picker!
Does anyone other than me see a tiny bit of Bucks County in this one/
Al

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
Rob, I agree with you. I was thinking that it was made by Young from Easton Pa, but yes, Samuel States is also a possibility. Any other opinions?

Yes Al, you are an excellent picker!  :D
Frank

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 12:35:05 AM »
Hi Frank, a fine little rifle you have there! As Rob pointed out, it does have that Young\States Easton look going for it. I can only add that the barrel smith D. Christ (David) worked in this area during the late 18th and early 19 centuries. I had a nice Lehigh rifle with all of the great Rupp, Neihardt, etc. architecture that had a bottom barrel flat signed by D. Christ. He seemed to have found business in the eastern side of Pennsylvania.  Very cool eagle box!
Joel Hall

Old Bob

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 03:27:27 AM »
The nosecap is identical in design to many ramrod pipes I've seen including some that I have. Never really thought of making one like that. Hmmm.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 05:48:20 AM »
Rob,  Isn't that nose cap close to the same as on your States rifle? That box is very interesting . It's so different it's neat.  The in graving doesn't look like the work of the Young's to me. At least not John or Henry. I'm thinking States my self. Of course I've been  wrong before. .....At least I was told so.
JIM

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 06:18:39 AM »
Rob,
Makes you scratch your head doesn't it? Jim, I would agree that the engraving is different than the Young clan. Frank interesting rifle and a nice find.
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 07:22:52 AM »
Those diamonds engraved on the toeplate match the ones on my cheekpiece and patchbox.  The nosecap is it's fluted twin brother.  The chickenwalk around the sideplate and shape of the sideplate are identical to mine.  I swear I saw a rifle by States with your same finial in a book.
Anyway, it's a super rifle.  How long and what cal is the barrel?  I noticed you only have 3 barrel keys with the last out toward the nosecap and I think mine is the same, but I will have to check.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 07:24:33 AM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 07:25:49 AM »
Also interesting that the ramrod gets fatter after it leaves the last ramrod pipe just like mine.  Maybe they are both originals.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2014, 03:56:45 PM »
It sounds like this rifle was made by States and not one of the Youngs. The barrel is 44 inches long and approximately a 40-45 caliber and very light weight. It also has a patent breech. I've never seen much of States work, can you post a few pictures of yours Rob?

Frank
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 03:59:17 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2014, 04:03:08 PM »
By the way, the only picture of a rifle I've found with a box like mine is on page 37 of Dillin's book, it says it was in his personal collection. I wonder what happened to it?
Frank

Offline Buck

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 05:04:07 PM »
Frank,
Theres a States rifle pictured in `Behold the Longrifle Again.`The box on that rifle is a twin to Robs.
Buck

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 08:12:50 PM »

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 08:14:24 PM by Shreckmeister »

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
I see many similarities, but I also see some slight differences too, such as the shaping of the wood around the sideplate.  It's definitely from that area though. I'll put up a picture of the trigger guard, it's pretty unusual as well.

Frank

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2014, 08:36:04 PM »
Trigger guard for the eagle patchbox rifle.

Frank

Offline Buck

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 02:24:48 AM »
Rob,
Do you have any pictures of the trigger guard? The termination of the bow and the shape of the spur sure look the same.  Franks looks like it might be a tad earlier. Interesting rifles.
Buck

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 04:18:26 AM »
I remember seeing a similar patch box on a rifle years ago. I think it was in one of Norm Flaydermans catalogs. If I can find them I'll take a look.   JIM
JIM

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2014, 04:38:29 AM »
I would appreciate seeing that Jim.

Frank

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2014, 02:05:57 PM »
I don't have a photo of the triggerguard straight on but I'm sure it wasn't
as appealing as this one.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2014, 04:15:38 PM »
Frank,
Congratulations on finding that rifle.  Great box!

Below is the rifle that JIM was probably thinking about.  It was on the cover of Flayderman catalog 118 some years ago.  Wallace says he first saw the rifle in the late 50s when it was in the collection of an elderly gentleman who lived near Charlottesville, Virginia.  Wallace believes it was made in the Shenandoah County region and likely by Spitzer, John Amos or Christian Huffman.
All my best to you, my friend!
Wayne

Photography by Mark Elliott
Wayne Elliott

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2014, 08:24:23 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Wayne, I forgot about that rifle, that is one heck of a gun!  Just goes to show that eagles were popular both North and South.   ;D
Frank