Author Topic: Help identifying this fowler  (Read 2428 times)

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
Help identifying this fowler
« on: August 12, 2014, 11:46:06 PM »
Here are some pics of a fowler my grandson won in a shoot last memorial day.  I was told that there may be a "pieces parts" element to the gun but don't really know.  Hopefully you folks can come up with some ideas, at least on where some of the parts may have come from!

Mike Lee

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Help identifying this fowler
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »
English, Birmingham proved export grade fowler, probably made in the 1850s. Its virtually impossible to date these accurately. Its entirely American in that it was made to be sold here. Tens of thousands of them were imported.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:07:58 PM by JV Puleo »

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
Definitely English made components, though I think it's been restocked at some point.  There were MANY of these made in all sorts of quality - from that perspective it's kind of fun to collect them because they're readily available and the really nice ones are still somewhat affordable.  Thanks for sharing,
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:54:27 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for that info.  Was not looking to find it to be a valuable collector piece or any thing like that.  My grandson won this in a youth shoot where all the kids shot this gun and high score took it home.  Mainly want to be able to fill him in on a bit of the history of the piece. 

Mike Lee