Author Topic: Rebuilt a motor, found a nice lock lube  (Read 5191 times)

frontier gander

Rebuilt a motor, found a nice lock lube
« on: August 13, 2014, 05:33:34 AM »
In the process of rebuilding a 258 i6 for our 73 jeep, i came across a killer lube for locks! When installing a new cam and the valve train, you are supposed to use a moly lube for break in. Moly is super slick and allows the cam,lifters, pushrods, etc to break in smoothly and the moly gets embedded into the pores of the steel.

I am currently getting my stuff together for a bear hunt on the 16th and wasn't to happy with liquid wrench lithium grease. I used some of the Crane camss moly lube and holy smokes! I havent found anything slicker than this stuff! I did my triggers where everything rubs, removed my lock, cleaned it well and rubbed a small amount on all rubbing surfaces. My double set triggers are a TON quieter now and SLICK.

I know its a bit messy but i always use a soapy bath followed up by birchwood casey gun scrubber to blast other stuff off and to dry it out as well.

I did my flintlock as well and rubbed a little onto the frizzen spring, SMOOOOOOOTH!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:34:35 AM by frontier gander »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Rebuilt a motor, found a nice lock lube
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 01:59:57 PM »
yeah, us motorheads just call that "assembly lube". 

...and sometimes we call beer the same thing  ;D
Hold to the Wind

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:29:47 PM »
 Getting Moly is not the problem. Getting rid of it is. I migrates everywhere, and resists removal like termites on steroids. I used it, and found the best way to cure the silvery molly that had crept out of the lock, onto the plate, and oozed from the lock, onto the barrel, was to sell the problem to somebody who didn't care.
 I use Super-Lube now that is a food grade teflon lube that doesn't make a mess.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 06:40:05 PM »
Been using moly grease in my cap and flint lock bearing parts for a number of years now - I really like it, as the water and WD40 blast does not remove it for several 'cleanings'. I purchased mine in a grease-gun tube at the local "Canadian Tire" store.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:16:05 PM »
In the process of rebuilding a 258 i6 for our 73 jeep,  When installing a new cam and the valve train, you are supposed to use a moly lube for break in.

Just a word to the wise.  When manufacturers changed over to roller cam technology in the 80's, motor oil was reformulated and the zinc additive required for flat tappet camshafts was eliminated from it.  There followed a rash of cam and lifter problems thereafter.  This is especially critical when installing a new cam and lifters in an older engine because of the high friction rates after you get rid of the break-in oil containing the moly.  You must add a zinc additive with each oil change thereafter.  STP contains the additive or you can buy small bottles of it at auto parts.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »
TOF,
We have a friend who has a Duesenberg with 32 valves and big flat tappets and he uses a 15w something or other that has  zinc in it and formulated for a diesel.Seems to work OK and he does drive this car.

Bob Roller

frontier gander

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »
Got that TOF, comp cams engine break in oil. After that, Rotella.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 01:38:41 AM by frontier gander »

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
I have used Brownells Action Lube Plus on all my locks for years.  Only takes a thin film and works fantastic.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 04:44:10 AM »
My lock surfaces are polished. Never used a lube in 30+ years.

Lost a cam on Chevy 350 to the new oil. Now I run Rotella in my'56 Y Block.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Vomitus

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »
I've tried 20-50 Amsoil for V-twins. I just used a small artist's paint brush. Works great with no leakage.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »
TOF,
We have a friend who has a Duesenberg with 32 valves and big flat tappets and he uses a 15w something or other that has  zinc in it and formulated for a diesel.Seems to work OK and he does drive this car.

Bob Roller

Bob, That diesel blend oil will ruin the compression in that engine if your friend drives it much! Don't trust my opinion, google it and read up on it!
John
John Robbins