Author Topic: new guy .. with a black powder itch..  (Read 15659 times)

peabody

new guy .. with a black powder itch..
« on: August 15, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »
hello from Missouri .
over the last 40 plus years I've always wanted a flintlock..
but truck drivin and farm demands and kids always got in the way till now.
did Missouri have a style of rifle ?
or just common barn style rifles..
i think I'll have a rifle built . even if i have to wait a long time.
several of my old buddys bought cheap black powders .. and had nothings but troubles .
chuck edwards said to come down and visit with him ..i thinks i will.
Peabody

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: new guy .. with a black powder itch..
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »

did Missouri have a style of rifle ?
or just common barn style rifles..

Welcome aboard.

A St Louis Hawken is what pops to mind.   With St Louis being the Gateway to the West, a steady stream of guns being brought in from the east, plus guns (both rifled and smoothbore) suitable for the fur trade would be candidates.     Is there any particular region of Missouri or historical era that you're interested in?   I believe Missouri's early European history was strongly French in mid-18th century transitioning to American melting pot during the fur trade (with a little Lewis and Clark thrown in 1803).

P.S.  If you're a beginner to black powder,  I recommend Eric Bye's book "Flintlocks a Practical Guide" as a good introduction to BP in general and Flinters in particular.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:34:16 PM by SCLoyalist »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 07:16:34 PM »
I think Chuck Edwards would steer you in the right direction one way or another. If you did get one of Chucks rifles, I'm sure you would not be disapointed.

Offline msb52

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
What part of Missouri do you hail from.

peabody

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 07:28:22 AM »
i hail from west central missouri .. truman lake area.
not new to black powder .. i have an old numrich 36 caliber buggy rifle..underhammer .. my pop has a old H&A .50 underhammer..
but we both have always wanted a quality flintlock.
i wanted to find a builder in missouri  .and found mr. edwards. called him .very nice feller. i will make a trip down to visit with him.
I've never held a nice flintlock. I've never shot a flintlock. mr edwards say we'll shoot one. yea !
it's funy ? talking to pop .. he said go see the man .. your selling a few calfs. order one. have mr edwards build it. have him make it fit you.
we think a .40 caliber would be great fun..
i pretty sure we'll have a long waiting period.. but positive it will be worth it.

peabody

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 07:36:58 AM »
I think Chuck Edwards would steer you in the right direction one way or another. If you did get one of Chucks rifles, I'm sure you would not be disapointed.

yes.. after talking to mr edwards on the phone.
and reading his web site.
he was wonderfull to visit with.
impressed me alot.
i love the fact he puts a bible verse somewhers on the rifle.
my pop and i are excited .. pops 76 yrs old.. and loves those old black powder rifles. so do i..
I've saved up a big chunk of pennys . hopes enoughs to buy a mr edwards rifle.
I'm sure with the sale of a few calfs .. we can do it.
hopefully in September i can get a few days off the semi and go see mr edwards and his shop .
I'm already excited.  :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 01:32:18 AM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
Mr. Peabody,
   Like you, I've shot BP since I was young--an heirloom civil war Minie rifle, but I've always wanted a flintlock long rifle.  Maybe it's the old Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone syndrome. So I had one built by another
Missouri builder, Terry Williams.  These guns are well worth the expense, and I absolutely love shooting mine, as technical and involved as the "science" of flint shooting can be.  That's a great part of the fun.  Christmas will come ten times over when the gun arrives, and I know you'll be happy with it, and enjoy shooting it regularly.  I sometimes wonder if there aren't more of these great guns, and the folks who build them, than there were in the "golden age."  Have fun, and good luck.  Scratch that itch!

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »
Your on the right track.visit with Mr. Edwards and im sure you will get a rifle to be proud of.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2014, 06:25:53 AM »
I too wanted for a long time, but i decided to build--and 8 or so years elapsed between buying a bbl and lock and actually finishing a gun.

If you can't stand a wait, there are vendor/builders who keep "in the white" guns ready for sale.  It's the gun fully assembled and functional but without any finish.  Getting a gun like that gets you some finishing and assembly experience and get to burning powder fairly quickly. 

That way you'd have a shooter while you wait for your built-to-order. 

I mean, you gotta have more than one right?  (i started cleaning up locks for my next two last night).

Hold to the Wind

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
Peabody
   Welcome to the forum,and be sure to visit Mr Edwards .You wont be disappointed as he is one of the best builders out there. As far as caliber goes a 40 is fast becoming my favorite choice in a lite weight swamp profile .Listen to Chucks advise and youll do good .Curt

Offline heelerau

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 02:15:35 PM »
Mate ,
        here are a few pictures of a Missouri style plains rifle made by a mate of mine from South Australia 30 yrs ago. It has an Australian blackwood stock. It is an  1 1/4 inches across the flats, .50 I use 90 grs of FFg, .490 diameter ball.  Siler lock, all iron mounted.  I am not sure how true to type it is, but someone here will know doubt be able to clarify that. It is a fine shooter, and has accounted for many kangas, foxes and rabbits. <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/heelerau/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 02:18:37 PM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
  That's a lovely flinter you have, mate.  And I'm glad to see that you're doing your part to keep the rabbit population down.

peabody

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:17:41 AM »
Mate ,
        here are a few pictures of a Missouri style plains rifle made by a mate of mine from South Australia 30 yrs ago. It has an Australian blackwood stock. It is an  1 1/4 inches across the flats, .50 I use 90 grs of FFg, .490 diameter ball.  Siler lock, all iron mounted.  I am not sure how true to type it is, but someone here will know doubt be able to clarify that. It is a fine shooter, and has accounted for many kangas, foxes and rabbits. <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1012.photobucket.com/user/heelerau/embed/slideshow/"></iframe>

mighty fine looking rifle !
very nice. thank you for sharing that.
sure makes the itch worse !

peabody

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 05:29:28 AM »
I too wanted for a long time, but i decided to build--and 8 or so years elapsed between buying a bbl and lock and actually finishing a gun.

If you can't stand a wait, there are vendor/builders who keep "in the white" guns ready for sale.  It's the gun fully assembled and functional but without any finish.  Getting a gun like that gets you some finishing and assembly experience and get to burning powder fairly quickly.  

That way you'd have a shooter while you wait for your built-to-order.  

I mean, you gotta have more than one right?  (i started cleaning up locks for my next two last night).

ha! your not helping .. more that one ?
i could/can see that happening ..i think i someday ..get off this truck I'll try to build one .
but imathinkin buying a mr edwards rifle will never be a mistake.
just thinking outloud ..
i like the Lancaster and poorboy schools .
and just to keep talking about flintlocks :)
poorboys .. was any made without a patchbox ?
how about plain round barrels ?rifled.
i need to start a notebook.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:37:12 AM by peabody »

peabody

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 08:39:58 AM »
Mr. Peabody,
   Like you, I've shot BP since I was young--an heirloom civil war Minie rifle, but I've always wanted a flintlock long rifle.  Maybe it's the old Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone syndrome. So I had one built by another
Missouri builder, Terry Williams.  These guns are well worth the expense, and I absolutely love shooting mine, as technical and involved as the "science" of flint sing can be.  That's a great part of the fun.  Christmas will come ten times over when the gun arrives, and I know you'll be happy with it, and enjoy shooting it regularly.  I sometimes wonder if there aren't more of these great guns, and the folks who build them, than there were in the "golden age."  Have fun, and good luck.  Scratch that itch!

ou dont know how bad i itch right now !!!  :) :) :)

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »
The "poor boy"as they are called today usually had the same ornamentation as a fence post.My kind of rifle and going to the opposite extreme,the English made 1000 yard match rifles.One of our Canadian members called them "The predators".Good name IMHO.

Bob Roller

peabody

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »
The "poor boy"as they are called today usually had the same ornamentation as a fence post.My kind of rifle and going to the opposite extreme,the English made 1000 yard match rifles.One of our Canadian members called them "The predators".Good name IMHO.

Bob Roller

ha! fence post ! :)
i sure am enjoying the people of black powder .
wealth of info . and oh so very nice !
justgot an email from a guy telling me about a man named Rod Gates in crosstimbers Missouri.!
only 40 min away .
i called him . and exactly like mr edwards extremely Nice and friendly. he builds shotguns . Damascus barrels and all . ground up.
been doing it since 1978 ..
but did say ! he has  a Missouri rifle built by/for his family in 1856 .  so it's a missouri school ?  and said he's built a few rifles off that weapon. invited me to come to his shop . wow.
guys this is a blessing . I'm just a short drive away .
i truly hope to learn all i can . and make a dream come true.
he wants to show me how he makes a stock . from scratch. I'm overwhelmed . :)
this board has helped me in my quest so much.
i thank all of you very much.
I'm starting to feel like ralph in the Christmas story !

Steve-In

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 03:13:46 AM »
Welcome Peabody.  I see you found your way over here from M.O.

peabody

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 07:08:46 AM »
yes. glad ifound this site. i enjoy it very much.

nosrettap1958

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 02:23:39 AM »
Is St Louis in Missouri? If yes, well how about these two guys,  :) ;)

http://www.thehawkenshop.com/default.htm
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 02:34:23 AM by crawdad »

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 03:15:16 AM »
The "poor boy"as they are called today usually had the same ornamentation as a fence post.My kind of rifle . . . .
Bob Roller

Bob, I really like the "poor boy", "Barn Gun".etc, too.  I think it was Chuck Dixon who coined the term "Schimmel" for this plain as a fence post gun.  But plain doesn't mean they can't be beautiful. Allen Martin says, "It's all in the architecture." He has me convinced. He built me this Bucks County Schimmel.  There are pics at the link below:

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/allen-martin-builds-a-schimmel/

Regards,
Pletch 
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 04:40:41 AM »
Beautiful rifle. Schimmel is an odd word to associate with this rifle. It translates as mold.
Doesn't look moldy to me.Too classy for a barn gun too.I would like to find time to make up
such a rifle but haven't even got a lock half way done for my current project.
Maybe the word is Pennsylvania Dutch or Schweizerdeutsche. According to some Germans,
they are both a throat disease and not a language at all.Gross witz,ja?
Bob Roller

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 05:26:22 AM »
Bob,
I heard the term "schimmel" meaning moldy too. I have no logical explanation - maybe it's a moldy old gun leaning against a beam in the corner of the barn. If that's the meaning, my dad's old Stevens Favorite would qualify. This schimmel has no butt plate. Some have only one ram rod pipe. 

In this case the Bucks County lines really "sell" the gun.  The gun is very slim.  One of my friends who is a fine maker said, "Allen didn't leave an oz. of extra wood, did he?"  It might break 6 lbs - maybe not. Just what an old guy with rotten shoulders needs.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

peabody

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 08:16:29 AM »
it
it's ? absolutely beautiful.

Bob,
I heard the term "schimmel" meaning moldy too. I have no logical explanation - maybe it's a moldy old gun leaning against a beam in the corner of the barn. If that's the meaning, my dad's old Stevens Favorite would qualify. This schimmel has no butt plate. Some have only one ram rod pipe. 

In this case the Bucks County lines really "sell" the gun.  The gun is very slim.  One of my friends who is a fine maker said, "Allen didn't leave an oz. of extra wood, did he?"  It might break 6 lbs - maybe not. Just what an old guy with rotten shoulders needs.

Regards,
Pletch

nosrettap1958

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »
What type of rifle are you looking for? Historically built in Missouri or historically used in the settling/founding of Missouri?