Author Topic: Upland Game Shooting with an original  (Read 10884 times)

Offline Feltwad

Upland Game Shooting with an original
« on: August 18, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »
Here in the UK most of our game shooting is done using a re pro or original sxs percussion gun  Game is mostly pheasant , partridge ,grouse , duck ,and pigeon . Is this type of game shooting common in the States and what is the main  type shot also what is the most popular a sxs re pro or an original m/l shotgun.

Feltwad

A Stand of original sxs English percussion guns

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:25:19 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Daryl

Re: Upland Game Shooting with an original
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:02:07 PM »
WOW! THOSE are wonderful, Feltwad. Just check out that stock design - it does NOT get better than that - such beautiful condition, too, better than Taylor's 15 bore Manton.
I really like that single bl., first on the left. That would be nice to have a large bore rifle barrel fitted for big game.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:24:48 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:56:47 PM »
Great looking bunch of game guns Feltwad. Most in my local use 6 shot for upland and bunnys. We do have turkeys also and 4 shot and larger is the norm around here.

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:16:12 PM »
What a beautiful collection!  I have an R. Hughes 12 gauge and a Hollis and Sheath 12 gauge.  they've mostly been used for squirrels with #6
shot.  I've also taken some dove and quail with #8 shot.

James Levy
James Levy

B Staley

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
WOW very nice....

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 12:22:48 AM »

There are some of us still using them on this side of the pond.  I use this particular gun for snipe, woodcock and ruffed grouse.  In the state of Wisconsin where I hunt, it is required that you use non-toxic shot for snipe.  I generally encounter all three species during a days hunt, so I exclusively use #7 bismuth for all my shooting.  

Since this photo was taken, the temporary hickory rod has been replaced with one made from ebony.  The under rib has been stripped and re-soldered.  And the twist barrel has been re-browned and etched.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:24:17 AM by FlintFan »

Steve-In

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:09:41 AM »
When I hunt it is usually for rabbits with a Birmingham 18 gauge with 7-1/2 shot.  Turkeys I hunt with a Birmingham 10 gauge with #6 lead.  My brother uses #6 for upland and #2 or #4 bismuth for waterfowl.  He and I are the only 2 I know of hunting with muzzle loading shotguns.  There are probably more than I know of but that is still a small number that hunt with traditional shotguns.  A great portion hunting turkey with muzzle loaders use the inlines, as we all know you cannot kill anything with a traditional muzzle loader ;D.   As we age and older family members sell their farms hunting is getting pushed on to state game lands or private preserves and leased ground.  When the farm gets leased the use is usually by a small group and the farm is closed to anyone not in the lease.  Here in Indiana most farm ground is being used with the fence rows a thing of the past.  Indiana DNR offers pay and shoot on several properties where they release 2 pheasant per hunter.  After last winter I doubt there are any quail in northern Indiana and due to habitat loss through government stopping CRP programs and high corn prices the pheasant numbers are down.  Rural development has a huge affect on ground available too.
Feltwad that is a great grouping of shotguns please post some detailed pictures sometime.
FlintFan great picture.  Are you using the bismuth bare or in a cup?

Offline FlintFan

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 04:40:40 AM »
FlintFan great picture.  Are you using the bismuth bare or in a cup?

Just using simple card, and felt wads. 

SuperCracker

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 06:32:06 AM »
I use an original Belgian SxS for virtually all of my bird hunting. I also just picked up an original Westley Richards percussion SxS that I'm in the early stages of putting back functional to use. There'll be pictures when it's finished.  ;)

I've had good results using #6 rather than #8 for quail and Snipe. Theory being that the #6s retain the speed a bit more than the #8s

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
Here in the UK the main shot size for game is 5 or 6  which is lead , for driven birds I prefer  a load of 2.3/4 drms of FFg black powder to 1.1/4 oz of number 5 . Maybe this is because of modern black powder but records show that in the 1820- 1850 the most common load was 3 drms of powder to 1.1/4 oz of number 4 shot. Today we mostly use Number 4 or 3 shot in the big bores for ducks or geese with gauge 8,6,4 the main ones.
Feltwad

A stand of big bore fowling guns

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 02:49:02 PM by Feltwad »

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
Brit proofed 14ga SXS percussion. Back action locks. Only markings are initials WL inside one lock. Not very fancy but in extremely good condition.  70gr FF appropriate wadding and 1 1/4 oz 7.5 shot for squirrels dove and quail.

Also use Beretta OU 12ga made 1980.  90gr FF and 1 3/4 oz 7.5 or 6s for turkey.  
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:21:49 PM by Standing Bear »
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

omark

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 01:24:06 AM »
I use a navy arms percent double with 7 1/2 or 8 for dove, 6 for most duck, bunny and pheasant and 2 for the very occasional goose. Lots of fun.       Mark

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:59:35 AM »
I use ...

great photo, and dog.  thanks for sharing.

[resume scattergunnin']
Hold to the Wind

Offline JBJ

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
Wonderful old scatter guns. Many thanks for all of the photos.
J.B.

omark

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:19:10 PM »
Its also OK to use plastic cups with black. Just put an over powder card in first, then a lubed felt was, then the plastic.     Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2014, 10:02:59 PM »
But why, Mark? Steel shot?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 11:23:14 PM »
Its also OK to use plastic cups with black. Just put an over powder card in first, then a lubed felt was, then the plastic.     Mark

If using an original sxs  or s/b  percussion shotgun for which 99% of them have Damascus barrels , NEVER USE PLASTIC  it will ruining your barrel in time .Lets not forget these guns are part of our heritage not too dispose off has we please we hold them in trust  for those that come after .
Feltwad

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2014, 03:46:57 AM »
... we hold them in trust  for those that come after .
Feltwad

BRILLIANT sentiment, thanks.
Hold to the Wind

omark

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2014, 06:06:05 AM »
But why, Mark? Steel shot?
Steel shot and improving patterns, although I admit I haven't done enough testing to see how much improvement there is.         Mark

Offline Kermit

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 08:20:40 AM »
Figured that would be the answer. I'd recommend using a cheap used modern percussion double for the experimentation. Save the originals for original style loading. But let us know what you learn.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

omark

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »
Kermit, I meant I didn't know how much the cups do for patterns. I used plastic cups on the powder and loading got very hard. When I cleaned, I got long strings of plastic. Then IStarted putting a card powder was, then a lubed fiber wad, then a plastic cup. Have never found ANY plastic with that combo. Already done   the experimentation. I also agree with taking no chances with an original. Honestly, I'm not sure I would shoot an original if I had one. That's not meant as a criticism to any one that does, I just know that with my luck I would trip and break the stock or drop it in a lake or something equally brilliant.   Mark

Offline snapper

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 01:02:47 AM »
Hollis, Scott, Greener, I use lead shot, mostly #4.

These are all wild birds, never hunted pen raised.

Fleener

My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 01:12:29 PM »
Fleener

It looks has though the sxs percussion held its own against the more modern sxs and auto.
Feltwad

Driven day bag by 10 guns using sxs percussion guns

Waiting for the drive too start

Lunch Time

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 01:45:37 PM by Feltwad »

Offline snapper

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »
The toughest thing I have when I hunt with one of these old girls is do you reload after you shoot one barrel or wait until you have 2 to reload?  My buddies and the dogs don't wait for me.  I have tried it both ways, and as luck would have it, it has never been an issue.

I  often wonder if the craftsmen that built these fine English shotgun ever thought that 150 years latter someone in the United States would still be using them.

We don't do drives for birds where I live.  Always thought it would be interesting to be part of one. 

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2014, 05:18:55 PM »
Feltwad and them boys ain't in the US, but yeah I think it's great for the old guns to be in service yet.  Nobody knows what tomorrow brings, and there's a lot of tomorrows on that old steel.  I use 100 year old skillets daily, how many 'taters have they fried, bellies filled?
Hold to the Wind