Author Topic: T.E. BARROW halfstock rifle  (Read 4178 times)

George Roberts

T.E. BARROW halfstock rifle
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:52:59 AM »
I have been unable to find any information about T.E. Barrow.  My parents gave me this rifle for Christmas when I was about 14.  It is 29 cal., 52 3/8 inches long, barrel length is 36 5/8 inches.  Barrel is 0.946 at the breech, and 0.895 at the muzzle.  Stock is walnut.  It is rather crudely stamped T.E. BARROW on the lock, with the same thing stamped with an overstrike on the top flat.  Stamped into the wood of the left side of the butt stock is "NO 22".
The patchbox seems more elegant than the rest of the rifle.  To me, one of the most interesting features is the shell carving in place of an entry pipe.
"American Gun Makers" by Gluckman and Satterlee mention a "BARROWS, E. - Unlocated. Curly maple full-stock, octagonal barrel, .36 cal. flintlock Kentucky squirrel rifle."  This is the closest I've been able to come. 
Anybody seen this maker before?  Thoughts as to location?
Thanks, George

I'm new here so let me know if I'm overdoing it with the pictures.

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
Re: T.E. BARROW halfstock rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:39:29 AM »
George, welcome to the forums. Theres a lot of members that's very knowledgeable and I am sure someone will be able to help you out or at least point you in the right direction. Again, Welcome!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:53:17 AM »
Hi George and welcome. I do not know of the maker but the patchbox, trigger guard, and toe plate are all in the style of rifles made in western Pennsylvania around Allegheny and Westmoreland Counties.  The time period would be close to 1840-50.  Hopefully someone with knowledge of T.E. Barrow will chime in to your post.   Joel
Joel Hall

Offline Joey R

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:38:47 AM »
I don't think you could ever over do pictures on this forum :D Thanks for the pics.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 04:44:14 AM »
Sellers has a, A. Barrows & a F A Barrows both from Castleton Vermont. Your rifle looks like it could have come from Vermont ( maybe ???) ..If two people from Castleton Vermont with the name of Barrows made rifles, some other family members probably did.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:46:31 AM by Avlrc »