Author Topic: Peep or aperture sight  (Read 12703 times)

Offline RonC

Peep or aperture sight
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:25:08 PM »
I did a search using "peep" sight to find a way to make my own and not have to permanently modify the current rifle, but was not successful.

I have an Ohio/Vincent style rifle in 45 cal. I can shoot great groups at 50 yards, but with my 67 year old eyes (with cataracts), I have trouble putting the group in the center of the target. The semi-buckeye rear sight really doesn't help me to center the sight on the target.
So, I thought about adding a peep sight.

Some ideas: I have a small rt-angle bracket with mounting holes and could solder it to the current rear sight. I found a very small metal plate with a small hole in it. Perhaps it can be soldered to the buckeye sight. I can drill a small hole in a razor and solder it on to the buckeye.

Any comments of ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Ron
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:26:10 PM by RonC »
Ron

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Peep or aperature sight
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:55:15 PM »
Ron,
It would seem that if you can't center your group with the current sights that using them as a base for a peep sight wouldn't work either. I presume you tried moving your rear sight or filing your front? You might be better off trying one of the many tang sights that are available. Putting a peep as far forward as your current rear sight is will make it hard to see properly.
Mark
Mark

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 07:57:52 PM »
Nice rifle - did you make it?
Here is a sight I made for my target rifle many years back when my eyes started to go down hill. You might try something similar. I made different size apertures for different light conditions. The base is threaded to accept the apertures.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:35:51 PM »
Drill a hole in the tang and make a lollipop peep sight for it. That would be traditional for that type of rifle.

Centershot

Offline RonC

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:17:27 PM »
Thank you for the tips!
The rifle is sighted in well with the current sights, but I find it difficult to see if the sights are centered on the target. There seems to be too much space in the center of the rear sight to let me gauge if the target is centered well.

I did not build the rifle.This rifle was started years ago by a NY State gunsmith by the name of James Tawney who was very well known as a high quality builder of guns. The rifle began as a full custom assemblage of parts for a customer and never finished. Now fast forward 20 ish years. The specs:
.45 cal Ohio style rifle.
The barrel, by Ed Rayl (I think) is a very heavy 15/16 diam 32" long, has 7 lands and grooves.
The lock is marked DGW? (Dixie Gun Works) and is the traditional flat mainspring.
The stock is from a piece of either claro...or bastogne walnut. It has a double set trigger marked "Roller 83" ( I have no idea about it) with a nice crisp release. All the hardware is nickel silver,with some nice inlay in the nose cap.
Ron

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:37:14 AM »
I knew Jim Tawney and made locks and triggers for him. The lock on that rifle may be one of mine or maybe not. The "Roller 83"is more than likely my set triggers. Jim as I recall lived in Corning New York and worked at a glass ware factory there. I believe he is deceased but don't remember when.

Bob Roller

Offline RonC

Re: Peep or aperture sight
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:56:19 AM »
Wow!
Thank you for that information. I purchased the rifle from a fellow in Corning, NY.
Now, the Roller 83 makes sense and plugs a hole in my knowledge about the rifle.

This is a photo of the rifle as it was being finished:

Ron
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:26:29 PM by RonC »
Ron

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 06:58:39 AM »
Merit makes a sight disc that goes on your glasses.  Has an adjustable aperture.  No rifle mods needed.  Probably wouldn't work for hunting but OK for the range.
Brice Stultz

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:03:21 AM »
Have you ever tried a simple shallow "V" rear sight ?    Very easy to use, even with my 61 year old eyes.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 12:17:48 PM »
Merit makes a sight disc that goes on your glasses.  Has an adjustable aperture.  No rifle mods needed.  Probably wouldn't work for hunting but OK for the range.
Another vote for the Merit. That there is a beautiful rifle..!!
I've put a couple of different "peep" type sights on both of my muzzleloaders, only to eventually remove them.
There's a really wide variety of sight combination you can try before resorting to doing anything (permanent) to your rifle. I've found my 64 yr old eyes like a pretty broad patridge front blade with a clean notch rear that "just fits", if that's a proper description of the visual relationship when I'm lined up on my target.
When shooting for the ultimate precision, such as working up loads from the bench...I add the Merit.
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:25:44 PM »
Lyman also sells an optical aid that goes right on your glasses, it works and isnt very expensive.

Offline Chris Treichel

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »
I would do a search online for Percussion target rifles... You will get some really interesting ideas on what was done back in the day.  The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi Ohio also has a pretty good collection of target rifles with really nifty target sights.

https://www.google.com/search?q=percussion+target+rifle&safe=active&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Atj9U9exD-bIsASj6YCABQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=839

Offline RonC

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »
I have the Merit vision aid with the adjustable aperture and have used it with handguns. Until you helpful folks brought it up, I never thought to use it for my muzzleloaders. I am going to try it as soon as I can get to the range.

Thank you!
Ron
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:25:52 PM by RonC »
Ron

bonron

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 04:59:49 PM »
Being a combination of poor and cheap let me suggest another aid to your sight dilemma. Take a piece of brass shim stock. Drill a 1/16" hole near the bottom of a 1/2" wide strip. Place this on your glasses while looking through the hole. When you have it in the proper position to see the target clearly fold the top over your glasses and trim to size. Voila!, a aperture sight that works as good as the Merit but costs far less and is easily replaced or modified. NOT knocking merit, just offering another answer to your problem that has been around for years.  ;)

Offline EC121

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
I  have done the same thing with black electrical tape.  I used the head of a finishing nail to punch the hole and stuck the tape on my glasses.
Brice Stultz

Offline PPatch

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:33 PM »
Being a combination of poor and cheap let me suggest another aid to your sight dilemma. Take a piece of brass shim stock. Drill a 1/16" hole near the bottom of a 1/2" wide strip. Place this on your glasses while looking through the hole. When you have it in the proper position to see the target clearly fold the top over your glasses and trim to size. Voila!, a aperture sight that works as good as the Merit but costs far less and is easily replaced or modified. NOT knocking merit, just offering another answer to your problem that has been around for years.  ;)

I gonna try this brass shim getup. I sometimes use a small square of electrical tape with a 1/16" hole punched in it and slapped on the lens of my glasses and it does help. This sounds mo better, and a lot less messy.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline RonC

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 07:34:52 PM »
These recommendations are useful not only for this percussion rifle, but for my primary shooters - flintlock long rifles.

Ron
Ron

dagner

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 05:32:04 AM »
 beware the shim stock idea. that was great when the lenses were glass.i know of half dozen different  guys over the years made them up to save the cost of merit  only to ruin their plastic lens glasses .after you replace your lineless lens with all the fancy treating the merit is cheaper.by the way - I am one of the dumb bunnys that did it
 dag
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:35:18 AM by dagner »

Online Virginiarifleman

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
I have often thought of getting one of the merits , but most of the ranges I go to for matches do not allow them. no sighting aids.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:09 PM »
Tell them they just want to see who has the youngest eyes, not who is the best shot.  At the Texas MLRA folks over 60 can shoot aperture in any agg.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
I agree!  Is it a shooting or a vision competition?  I use a 3/8" disc of black electrical tape with a 1/16" hole in the centre, stuck onto my shooting glasses.  It enables me to see the top edge of my rear sight more clearly, and as a consequence, all my rifles now are shooting high.  That tells me how poorly I was seeing my rear sight prior to the vision enhancer.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
I put one of these on a rifle for a friend. It was suprising how much it cleared up the sight picture.

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/881/1/RS-CA-PEEP-14

Offline Herb

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 10:10:25 PM »
Here is a sight called a closed buckhorn on an original muzzleloader in a museum in Des Moines, Iowa.  I saw the same kind of sight on a Hawken in the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial museum in St. Louis.  It looked like a 1/4" flat washer soldered in the horns of a buckhorn sight.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:04:08 AM by Herb »
Herb

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:26 PM »
This sight, copied from an original by Taylor, is used as a peep sight on this rifle and is sighted for 200yards.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:47:29 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline RonC

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 06:55:42 PM »
Very interesting looking sight!
I think I could rig some thing like that pretty easily.
Ron
Ron