Author Topic: 28 gauge for turkey  (Read 8846 times)

navygunner

28 gauge for turkey
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »
Has anybody used their 54/28 gauge for wiley mister tom? My thoughts are staying with 25 yds (bow range) what loads  have proven effective?

NG

Offline bob in the woods

Re: 28 gauge for turkey
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
I think you require a 20 bore as minimum here .  I used my 28 bore a lot for partridge etc and it seemed to pattern well beyond what you would expect for that size.  You should set out a target and pattern yours, with a suitable shot size [ my 10 bore likes #4 for turkey ]  and then use tin cans to test for penetration   You might find that you are restricted to 20 bore or larger Check your regulations..  The 28 has a much longer shot column than a larger bore , given the same weight .   That is why I prefer to shoot a loaded down 10 rather than a loaded up 20.    
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 04:20:36 AM by bob in the woods »

Offline Tony N

• Rabbit Hash,Ky
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
28ga not legal in Kentucky either. Nothing smaller that a .62.

~Tony

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »
 Glad I live in Alabama, here they just say 10 gauge or smaller  ??? no minimum, strange.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:11 AM »
#4 shot or smaller is TN regs, no mention of bore.  Since we're comparing state regs and all.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 04:29:34 AM »
IMHO I think your 28 is gonna be a little light. but if you must make sure hes close for a head shot.

B Staley

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 03:03:45 PM »
I hunt Alabama and Georgia don't think its legal in Ga. But will re-check the regs.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 05:47:39 PM »
 The responsibility of every hunter is to do their best to kill cleanly without undue suffering for the taken game. That being said, hunting a turkey with a shotgun gauge considered best for upland game is irresponsibly.

Hungry Horse

navygunner

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »
Point well taken Hungry...didn't say I would just asking if anyone had,
NG

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 06:55:30 PM »
BC - shotgun (10 bore max) or rimfire.  Toms only legal in the spring, tom or hen in the fall.
I kinda figured my .32 is a rimfire as the ignition comes in through the vent at the rear on the right outside edge of the bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
BC - shotgun (10 bore max) or rimfire.  Toms only legal in the spring, tom or hen in the fall.
I kinda figured my .32 is a rimfire as the ignition comes in through the vent at the rear on the right outside edge of the bore.

This is akin to my way of thinking, but that this state doesn't allow single-ball loadings _at all_ (maybe i should call the Gov'nor, get that fixed).  [http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=32192.0]
Hold to the Wind

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »
I know of turkey being taken with .410s so I see no reason a 28ga wouldn't work as well.  However that being said before I would attempt such a shot I would want to know whether my gun was throwing a deadly pattern and at what range.  I would certainly stay within those limitations.  In AZ since turkey is not a migratory bird, and the regs require shotgun shooting shot, there are no other restrictions.  We can use 8ga and 4 ga if we had them.  I have been thinking an 8ga muzzleloader might be just the ticket loaded with #4 buck for coyotes/cougar while predator calling. 

Offline Jim Hart

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »
Daryl - the BC regulation (the actual reg not the synopsis) does not allow centre fire cartridge rifles for turkey.  The synopsis shows this as rimfires only.  If you go by the actual regulation muzzle loaders are legal here where rifles are allowed for the spring season. - Jim

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 07:38:46 PM »
BC - shotgun (10 bore max) or rimfire.  Toms only legal in the spring, tom or hen in the fall.

even the synopsis says shotgun or rimfire.

;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 07:39:31 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Steve-In

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 08:34:44 PM »
Indiana 10 to 20 gauge, #4 to #7-1/2 shot.  No rifles.
For the 28 gauge I would probably go with #7-1/2 and keep the shots to less than 30 yards, 20 yards would be better as I assume it has no choke.  Turkeys are huge birds and it is easy to underestimate range you really need some fudge factor built in.  You want a small dense pattern, don't worry about stringing your shot this is not wing shooting.  Use enough powder and keep increasing until your pattern goes.  With the small bore you will need to maximize your power.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2014, 09:09:57 PM »
The 28 will shoot tighter simply because of the long string of shot. That was what I learned from shooting heavy shot loads.
They take a while to open up, so it does tend to kill really well out to about 25 yards or so. I tried using heavy paper shot tubes [ recipe cards ]  with the sides slit to hold my shot when partridge hunting, but they shot like a slug at the distances I was shooting . I ended up using just one wad and an over shot card.  I like the larger bores, especially my 10 bore because of the nice large, filled pattern I get.  It's hard to believe you could miss with a gun like that, but I somehow manage to  :-[

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »
 I have found that small shot like 71/2 and 8 have little value in muzzleloading shotguns, except for small game like quail and squirrels. their low velocity, and cylinder bores, make small shot game wonders, instead of game getters. I think many compare the knockdown power of a modern cartridge gun, to the same gauge muzzleloader, which is a lot like comparing apples to oranges.

Hungry Horse

Offline Levy

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 03:51:18 AM »
Hungry Horse,  I think many of us might be pushed towards comparing modern shotgun loads to muzzle loading ones by the shot shell manufacturers when they mark on the lid of the box that the loads are 3 1/4 drams equivalent, making the modern loads seem the same performance level as the black powder ones.  it may well be true that they aren't equal, but the writing on the box implies that they are.  Obviously choking makes a big difference.

James Levy
James Levy

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 05:38:49 AM »
I use #2 Lead Shot in my 20 Smoothrifle. very effective on Turkey for me.

Vomitus

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 11:17:38 PM »
I'd use a .515 RB and a .030 patch.  Head shoot'em.  ;D

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 12:38:49 AM »
 Not in California unless you just like jail house food, and roommates. It shot only, and then no larger than #4's. I think it is 20 ga. or larger as well.

Hungry Horse

Offline Ken Prather

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 01:07:13 AM »
Isn't there a limit to no larger than a 10 gauge too in CA? not sure.

K

Galations 2:20

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 04:09:02 AM »
Not in California unless you just like jail house food, and roommates. It shot only, and then no larger than #4's. I think it is 20 ga. or larger as well.

Hungry Horse

Speaking of fines, has anyone ever been ticketed for "legal arms" violation (not counting migratory/waterfowl)?  I've never heard of any around here.  Will ask the GW-retired next time i see him.  I'll ask him if he ever cited anyone for sech.  He loves telling funny poaching stories. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 05:26:46 AM »
Here in Ontario they take a rather dim view of my 4 bore punt gun being unleashed on a flock of waterfowl.
Best not be caught in the act , or the consequences would be both substantial and unpleasant .
I'm restricted to my 10 bore New England fowling piece.as far as max. bore size is concerned.