Author Topic: Estate Sale Longrifle Wreck  (Read 6054 times)

George Roberts

Estate Sale Longrifle Wreck
« on: August 29, 2014, 04:13:41 AM »
Found this today at an estate sale.  It was marked $495, but it was the 2nd day of the sale and things were half price.  It must have been very nice when new, and somebody thought enough about it to spend a lot of time and effort trying to make it serviceable again.  Against my better judgment, I offered $100, and they took it.
No name on the barrel.  "WILLETS WARRANTED" on the back action lock.  There isn't a stirrup on the tumbler, and you can see the flint style end of the spring pushing up on the wood above the lock.  Length is 52" and the barrel is 37 5/8" with a barrel diameter of 0.900 the whole length.  .41 cal.  Nice curly maple.  Interesting concentric circles around the post style front sight.

It is never going to be a silk purse.  When I bought it, I had vague notions of a full restoration.  Now I'm wondering if it might not make more sense to tighten up the previous restoration(s), and otherwise leave it alone.
Any votes for just leaving it as it is?  What would you do? What are your thoughts?

George

4th La.

Re: Estate Sale Longrifle Wreck
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 05:00:55 AM »
George, I would replace the wood above the lock side, which is newer wood and not curly maple. The rest I would tighten up the old repairs, leave the patina on the piece. I like the old iron strap repair, and it has a neat treatment to the front sight. I have a friend who collected only rifles with peroid repairs. I think you did OK at $100.00. 
That is my opinion, good luck with the project.
Bob

Online WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 06:03:25 AM »
Front sight is a treat.  I don't know enough to advise, but think it's real swell for 100 clams.

Hold to the Wind

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 08:29:53 AM »
Solid gold! Great find; thank you for showing it around. Sounds like Bob has given good advice, to which I would add that once all is done, wax it good with a nice English cabinet makers wax. It may bring out some colors and details that you might not otherwise see. Filed/stamped details on/around the sights are superb. Ditto, muzzle marks. Thanks again.
Dick

Offline GrampaJack

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:04:36 AM »
For a hundred bucks you did fine. This is the type of thing I always try to pick up around this time of year.  Strip it down and take your time. There are times when I will make a small piece to be set in a broken stock, glue it, and then it sits at the back of the bench for a week or more. Then back again for another small part and so on. I might take months to bring one back but it's a great way to spend a couple hours in January when there is 3 feet of snow out there. Lots of wood to be replaced around the lock. Take plenty of time to match the stripe, it will pay off in the finished product. Regards, Jack

George Roberts

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:23:48 PM »
Thanks guys.  Your comments help counteract those of my wife.
When looking at the photo of the muzzle, I noticed that there were 8 little punched stars, while the rifling has only 7 grooves.  I had always thought that those dots, circles, stars, etc. were index marks for the rifling.  All of the other guns I have, the number of marks, and the location corresponds with the number of grooves.  On this rifle they seem to correspond with the flats of the barrel.
George

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »
When looking at the photo of the muzzle, I noticed that there were 8 little punched stars, while the rifling has only 7 grooves.  I had always thought that those dots, circles, stars, etc. were index marks for the rifling.  All of the other guns I have, the number of marks, and the location corresponds with the number of grooves
All the dots/stars/circles that I have seen on southern mountain rifles seem to be centered under each flat, total of 8, one for each flat. Have never seen any that corresponded with the number of grooves.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

George Roberts

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 03:24:29 AM »
Hi Dennis,
I seem to be very much a Ludite when it comes to this sort of thing.  I wanted to show a picture of the muzzle of the T.E. Barrow rifle that I posted recently.  Cannot seem to retrieve it.  If you go to the thread for T.E. Barrow rifle, the last picture shows the muzzle, demonstrating what I described.
Thanks, George

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 04:58:18 PM »
Here is the photo you mention. Looks like the builder stamped the dots in the center of each land rather than the outside flats of the barrel. Have never seen (or maybe I didn't notice it) this before.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline J Henry

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 05:03:14 PM »
  could the dots be "history" marks for lining up the tool for the  machine cutting the lands and groves, to follow???

George Roberts

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:00:28 PM »
Here is another example, but when the rifling has 8 grooves, are the circles lining up with the flats or the grooves?

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »
George, it is my belief that these marks were merely put there for decoration. We use them today to tell if a barrel has ever been cut at the muzzle.
Joel Hall

Offline Yancey von Yeast

• Starting Member
    • Yancey von Yeast Antique Arms
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 02:53:49 AM »
I think that is a real jewel.  I would put it back together.  The restoration on the wood would never be totally un noticeable, but it could be done well.  I love the look of the rifle.  I have a set of original parts with a back action lock that a friend gave me a while back.  The stock had long since departed.  When I re stock it, I am thinking that I will do something like this and add a similar patch box.  Thanks so much for sharing it.  I had been wondering what to do with mine and it gave me the inspiration that I needed.  Now, if I can only keep it when its done.  My 12 year old son laid claim to the parts......................................

George Roberts

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:18 PM »
Yancey,
When you start your re-stocking project, let me know if you would like more measurements.
George

Offline Yancey von Yeast

• Starting Member
    • Yancey von Yeast Antique Arms
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 01:31:41 PM »
Thanks so much, George.  I will let you know.