Author Topic: Longrifle's of Davy Crockett  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Longrifle's of Davy Crockett
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:01:22 PM »
I just received the September issue of "Muzzle Blasts" magazine and found the photo's and article revolving around the historically known Crockett rifle's of great interest. The combination of Jud Brennan's contemporary "Crockett rifle" on the front cover along with original rifles used by the Hollywood greats portraying Crockett in the movies and on television are all tied together along with four known longrifle's that were once owned by Davy Crockett. Pictures and descriptions of his first York flintlock rifle, the rifle known as "Old Betsy" made by James M. Grahm and now on display at the Alamo, The Whig Party presentation percussion rifle made by Richard Constable of Philadelphia known as "Pretty Betsy", and another fullstock converted to percussion plain longrifle said to be his last rifle.  The article also mentions the existence of two other known rifles that also claim his ownership. One currently in the collection of the English musician Phil Collins.  Collins, who is another topic of interest to our collecting fraternity has recently (back in June of this year) donated his extensive Alamo and Texas history of independence collection to the Alamo Society and should be on display in the near future at the Alamo.  Phil Collins also has a book out that looks to be of interest picturing his collection. http://www.amazon.com/The-Alamo-Beyond-Collectors-Journey/dp/1933337508      http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/phil-collins-donates-his-expansive-alamo-memorabilia-collection-general-land-office
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 03:06:50 PM by Majorjoel »
Joel Hall

Offline GrampaJack

Re: Longrifle's of Davy Crockett
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 02:49:53 AM »
I also enjoyed the article but the Constable rifle with the strange "pistol grip" if that's what you would call it, is just plain weird.  Could Davy have ordered it that way? Jack

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:51:05 PM »
I also enjoyed the article but the Constable rifle with the strange "pistol grip" if that's what you would call it, is just plain weird.  Could Davy have ordered it that way? Jack

That rifle was a gift in Phila. [if I recall right] when the pols were trying to get Davy to run for higher office.  It was on display in Arkansas saw years ago, but I don't know where it is now...not the prettiest rifle, but Davy called it so....

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 04:09:15 PM »
Yup! And as ugly as this rifle's architecture is, Davy named it "Pretty Betsy".  It is said that he whispered an old Ben Franklin slogan into the ear of a close friend; "You don't look a gift horse in the mouth"  :-X
Joel Hall