Author Topic: Rifles for Gobblers  (Read 10779 times)

Offline WKevinD

Re: Rifles for Gobblers
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »
In PA spring turkey shot only not sure what the minimum gauge is? In the fall rifles are OK (.40 for me!)
In NY fall turkey they use dogs to break the flocks, the dogs are trained to return to a "bag", nose out until you call the flock back and take your shot, then they retrieve!
Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Rifles for Gobblers
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »
The most successful strategy for fall turkeys is to find a flock, disburse them then sit down and wait a while, then start calling softly... Ever watch a large group of people being seated at a restaurant? They do the same thing.

Yes, but until the state changes the rules, i won't be pursuing Fall turkeys legally if i used my longrifle.  So that's what this thread is about.

The limb swapping I talked about.  I couldn't see it.  I gathered all that info from audible "clues".  I could hear them all get up off the ground, and hear them all fuss and maneuver for half a dang 'nother hour--prime deer sneaking into the field time.  Oh it was thunderous.  :P

Peeple do many social things like birds. ;D

--

Also, even if i had a smoothbore sidelock gun, i simply don't care to hunt anything with shot except for regular "wingshooting" of which i do extremely small amounts.  IOW i don't use the shotguns I have, having a replica wouldn't change that much.  I'm simply a rifle man in rifle territory.

---

Adding PA to the Fall Turkey Rifle "YES" column.  What about NY?  Oh yeah ANYTIME one can hunt with well-trained dogs is an absolute treat.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:28:29 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind