Author Topic: "The Plainsman"  (Read 11624 times)

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
"The Plainsman"
« on: August 29, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »
I have had this cut out advertisement in my files since the 1970s some time.  I am not particularly fond of half stocks or percussion guns, and I'm sure that this particular rifle would be a rather low end reproduction, but the shape and slender outline appealed to me back then for some reason.  Anyone ever own one of these ?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 10:36:26 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Dan'l 1946

Re: "The Plainsman"
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:11:42 AM »
I believe that these became available in the  early 1970s. They came in .38 or .45 caliber and in plain or fancy versions. The only one that I personally shot was accurate and reliable. It was said that Cecil Brooks helped with the design, but maybe not. They were made in Italy(Pedersoli?) and were fairly expensive for the era.
                                             Dan

CARROLLCO

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:57:29 AM »
I acquired one last year at a moving sale for $75. It was missing a tang and lock screw. I thought it was a long rifle that had been skillfully made into a half stock. Mine is in .45 caliber and is a bit muzzle heavy.  I'm having a problem with the set triggers (too hard a pull) that I haven't sorted out yet. I thought it was a steal at that price.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:58:19 AM »
You bought it right. The basic rifle was around $250 in 1970 dollars and the engraved version was $70 or $80 dollars more.
                                                     Dan

Offline Levy

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 03:26:41 AM »
I remember that the design originated with Cecil Brooks too.

James Levy
James Levy

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 05:54:24 AM »
I've never seen one or know of anyone who owned one.  Just wondered how common they were...or were not.
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:27:42 PM »
From the picture that is a nice looking rifle.  I've never seen one or even heard of it before now.  The ad picture states Cecil Brooks "created this rendition...."

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »
You're memory is right. This was a Cecil Brooks design and he was sent to Italy to supervise the first rifle's construction, prior to production.  I've had a couple over the years and found them to be more attractive (?) Than accurate.
Mark
Mark

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 03:02:04 AM »
I have a rifle strikingly similar to it.  It has a European walnut stock, a polished but case hardened percussion lock, the trigger must be set to fire the rifle, a brass under-rib, and I re-barreled it years ago with a 7/8" Green Mt. barrel, opening up the channel a little to replace the metric tube.  The original had extremely poor rifling, almost like it had two sets of grooves:  one straight and the other, twisted.  The lock did not have a fly, but I added one as the rifle has single stage set triggers.  My daughters both grew up with this rifle and it is a keeper.  I have admired that ad all my adult life.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
I owned one years ago and it was a good shooter just a little too light. A young lady ended up with it and last I knew she was spanking everyone with it. Mine was .38 cal.

Centershot

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 07:30:59 PM »
Taylor,
          The rifle shown in the ad is the engraved version. They offered a plain version, too, and the lock may have been case colored on the standard rifle.
                                          Dan

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 04:08:56 PM »
Here is a little tidbit handed down to me by a long time builder from Ohio, who spent some of his younger years in Cecil's shop.  When Cecil went to Italy to supervise the making of the Plainsman, he told them that he wanted a fox squirrel engraved on the cap box lid.  Those of you who have an engraved version of this rifle, look close at the fox squirrel and you will see that the face looks like a fox, as the Italians didn't know what a fox squirrel actually looked like, and they put the fox face on the squirrel body.

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 07:34:31 PM »
Dan:  mine has a hardened lock but is polished bright.  It has wonderfully stayed bright all these years, and through a handful of owners.  I'll take some pics of it today and post them.
D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 10:09:10 PM »

As you can see, this is the plain model (unengraved).  But it is a keeper for certain.  And a piece of Contemporary Longrifle history.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:38:55 PM by Tim Crosby »
D. Taylor Sapergia

mattdog

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 10:49:31 PM »
I had one of these in the shop a couple of years ago.  I did some clean up on the lock to negate neglect.  It was a fine enough though inexpensive gun.  I didn't know I was working on a classic.  When the customer asked what I thought it might be worth I thought I was being kind when I said "oh, maybe a couple hundred bucks"  I think he was dissapointed with my apraisal.  Maybe he had a right to be.

Offline TexMartin

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2024, 04:12:00 PM »
Hi all, I am writing from England looking for information on the.45cal Plainsman percussion rifle made by Pedersoli, from posts on here I believe they were designed byCecil Brooke. I need to replace a broken spring in the trigger mechanism does anyone know where spares might be obtainable?  Alternatively would anyone owning one of these rifles be able to photograph the trigger mechanism removed from the rifle so that I can see what the spring should look like as only half of it remains. It is the spring which engages the set trigger, the main spring is ok.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2024, 07:28:21 PM »
 Yikes! Two hundred and fifty bucks in the early seventies. No wonder you hardly ever see one. I got my first Christmas bonus at work in the early seventies. It was 200 bucks, and I was delighted when my new wife told me to buy something I really wanted. I bought a CVA mountain rifle kit, and a Dixie gun works York flintlock rifle kit, and got change back. Granted it wasn’t much change, but I did get some.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2024, 08:38:12 PM »
Some years back, Taylor did some work on my longrifle. It is kind of a flint version of this rifle, Dan.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V