Author Topic: .605 Diameter Round Ball Source  (Read 3695 times)

Offline rsells

.605 Diameter Round Ball Source
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:16:28 AM »
Any of you guys have a good source for .605 round balls?  Also, what patch material do you use when you need to go thicker than pillow ticking?  Thanks.
                                                                                         Roger Sells

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: .605 Diameter Round Ball Source
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 02:03:13 AM »
Roger--I have used 10 ounce denim. It mics about .022-.023

jamesthomas

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 02:12:10 AM »
Any of you guys have a good source for .605 round balls?  Also, what patch material do you use when you need to go thicker than pillow ticking?  Thanks.
                                                                                         Roger Sells

For thicker material I get Mattress Ticking from Jo-Ann's Fabrics, sometimes Wal-Mart will have it. It measures .024 and comes in either Blue or Brown stripe fabric.

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 03:31:45 AM »
Thanks guys for the info, I have a .62 that will group great at 25 yards, but has about a 5 inch vertical spread at 50 yd.  It has a tight spread left to right at 50 yds.  Very hard to load and cutting the patch using a .610 and washed pillow ticking.
                                                                         Roger

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Good morning,
I have two questions.
How is the crown on the barrel? ( reason for inquiry ) Ease of loading and shot dispersion at 50 yds.
Are you sure that your balls are pure lead? ( not wheel weights )
Most .62 barrels easily take .610 balls.
What make is the barrel? ( yeah, I know 3 questions )
If you have a good crown, and the barrels is smooth ( good clean rifling ) you should easily seat a well lubed ball.
Ok, I'll ask another question, how new is the barrel?
Shot dispersion can be caused by many things, a good cause is poor crowning, but also is the barrel well seated in the stock.
The barrel cannot move on firing.
All the best!
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

CDgun

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »
My Lee 0.600 RB mold actually throws a 0.604 ball.  I don't know if that is typical, but at $20 for the mold, it's worth a try. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
My Lee 0.600 RB mold actually throws a 0.604 ball.  I don't know if that is typical, but at $20 for the mold, it's worth a try. 

I have seen this oversize casting a number of times with both Lee and Lyman moulds - and with pure lead, not alloyed.  Taylor's .600" Lee DC casts .605" and .608" respectively.  His Lyman .610" casts .613 or .614".

If you order a Tanner mould, order it .001" or .003" larger depending on the size you want, than the ball you need.  Jeff cuts the blocks (rounds?) to the exact size you order. Due to normal lead shrinkage as it cools, a mould in the larger sizes will cast about .002" smaller than the hole size and one in the .677 Tanner (15 bore) size will cast .675" as does mine.  My .745" Tanner mold casts at .740 - that should give you an idea.

If wanting a mold in the .605" range, I'd order a Tanner in .606" to .607". If it is for a 20 bore or .62" smooth, I'd order a .600" Lee DC or SC and be happy, just adjusting the patch as needed.

If for a rifle, I'd order the Tanner mould at .004" smaller than the bore size (casting .005" to .0055") smaller) and use the 10ounce denim patch.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline rsells

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 12:51:47 AM »
The barrel is a brand new Rice.  The crown and rifling look great.  I am not sure what lead was used to make the balls.  The customer sent me a total of twelve balls to get it to print left and right before shipping.  Everything looked good at 25 yds.  I thought the lead could be part of the problem and the customer is contacting the fellow who sent the balls to him for info.  He is going to get a mold made, but he is trying to get the combination figured out to get it to group well before getting a special mold.  Thanks for imput from everyone.  I talked to the customer today and he has found some slightly thicker patch material and is going to shoot Monday.  Hopefully, we can get info from the fellow who cast the balls shortly.
                                                             Roger Sells