Author Topic: Miquelet Blunderbus?  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Miquelet Blunderbus?
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:15 AM »
What do we have here?  
This piece belongs to a friend, whose father purchased it in Italy in 1944 for one carton of GI Camel cigarettes.  As you can see, bugs have just about consumed the butt stock.  I believe the lock is a patilla style miquelet lock.  The lock will cycle and holds at half and full cock, and the trigger functions.  The barrel is 25-7/8 inches long and is 1-5/16 across the flats at the breech.  The side flats extend about 7 inches and disappear into the round.  The top barrel flat only extends about 2 inches from the breech.  The barrel tapers to 1 inch at the end of the fore-stock, then flares out to 1-3/4 inches at the muzzle.  The ramrod is missing, but there is a dovetail on the bottom of the barrel, presumably for a ramrod thimble.  The trigger guard is brass and is held on with nails.  There is a brass plate on the top of the buttstock that is also held on with nails.

Any idea on how old it is and where it was made?  My best guess is Italy, pre-1944. ;D

What should we put on the stock to kill any bugs that might still be alive?

Any ideas as to it’s worth, as it is?  Should it be restocked?  Would it be worth more if restocked?

Thanks in advance for all replies. -Ron

« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:14:54 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Levy

Re: Miquelet Blunderbus?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 04:00:32 AM »
I think the Spanish would call it a Trabuco.  I worked on one from a 1715 Shipwreck that had a 24" barrel that was .75 cal.  It was signed (Mexico, Ramirez, Anno 1709).  Ed Rayl made me a copy of the barrel.

James Levy

James Levy

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 05:56:41 AM »
The stock does have issues, but if you restock it (in my opinion), you will destroy what value is left.  Stabilize it by making sure the bugs are gone and then tell your friend to enjoy it for what it is, an interesting piece of history.

Frank

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 07:23:46 PM »
James,
Thanks for the reply.  Did the one you worked on have its' ramrod and/or ramrod pipe(s)?  Do you have pictures?  Was the rod wood or iron?  The hole in the stock on this one is only about 1/4" in diameter, which makes me think it might have been iron.  I'd like to make a ramrod and pipe for it, but would like them to look correct.  Did you make a copy with the Rayl barrel?  Would love to see it.

Frank,
Thanks for the reply and advice.  Do you have any suggestions on what to do to make sure the bugs are dead?

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
You can freeze the stock for a period of time, or you can put it into a heavy duty yard bag for leaves with a Shell No-Pest strip, (or suitable substituted) and leave it for about a month. Either method should kill any beetles left in the wood.
Interdsting old gun.
Dick

Offline Levy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »
Ron,  I do have some pictures of the 1709 Trabuco somewhere.  All my stuff from work is still packed up and I haven't touched it since I retired in 2011.  When I find it, I'll send some to you.  No, I haven't stocked up the barrel that Ed made for me.  Fifteen years after the Trabuco was found, a matching pistol was found 20 miles to the north (it was marked the same way).  Ed made a copy of the pistol barrel too.  the pistol barrel was flared just like the Trabuco.  Both were all mounted in iron.  The Trabuco had iron rrod pipes and a wooden rrod with an iron cap.  When I sent Ed the dimensions for the Trabuco barrel, I made a mistake and instead of being belled, it looks like a champagne flute.  It can be corrected, but I haven't bothered.  Ed has been great at producing special barrels for me.  What a talented barrel maker he is.

James Levy   
James Levy

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 08:23:42 PM »
Thanks Dick.  Great tip on fumigation.

Thanks James,
If you find the pictures, please do post or send.

-Ron
Ron Winfield