Author Topic: Maximum amount of powder burn  (Read 15758 times)

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Maximum amount of powder burn
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 05:29:22 PM »
Wanting to get flatter trajectories to buck the wind.

If by 'buck the wind' you mean reducing lateral wind drift, going to a heavier load to compensate for wind drift will be only marginally effective.   A heavier load will decrease the flight time from muzzle to target to some extent but it's not a cure-all.   For example, suppose you have a 10 mph cross wind, and a target out at 100 yds.   The two roundball trajectory tables I checked say that a .535 ball will drift 10 inches in 100 yds with a muzzle velocity of 1700 fps,  and 8.5 inches with a mv of 2100 fps.  To go from 1700 to 2100 fps would likely require a change in powder charge around 40 or 50 grains, and I'd expect that much variation in charge to affect group size more than the the 1.5 inches you might gain by the reduced time-of-flight.

You're going to experiment on the range anyway, so I'd suggest you consider finding the load that gives you best group size for the energy you need to deliver to the intended target (e.g. real grizzly bears need to get hit with a heavier load than the NMLRA standing bear paper target).   Then, via wind flags, or reading wind cues like how much tree limbs are blowing, or a handheld anemometer, etc, estimate the cross-wind speed and apply Kentucky windage corresponding to cross wind speed and your load's muzzle velocity.

Good shooting.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:06:47 PM by SCLoyalist »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »

Going to a heavier load to compensate for wind drift may not be the best approach.   A heavier load will decrease the flight time from muzzle to target to some extent but it's not a cure-all.   For example, suppose you have a 10 mph cross wind, and a target out at 100 yds.   The two roundball trajectory tables I checked say that a .535 ball will drift 10 inches in 100 yds with a muzzle velocity of 1700 fps,  and 8.5 inches with a mv of 2100 fps.  To go from 1700 to 2100 fps would likely require a change in powder charge around 40 or 50 grains, and I'd expect that much variation in charge to affect group size more than the the 1.5 inches you might gain by the reduced time-of-flight.

You're going to experiment on the range anyway, so I'd suggest you consider finding the load that gives you best group size for the energy you need to deliver to the intended target (e.g. real grizzly bears need to get hit with a heavier load than the NMLRA standing bear paper target).   Then, via wind flags, or reading wind cues like how much tree limbs are blowing, or a handheld anemometer, etc, estimate the cross-wind speed and apply Kentucky windage corresponding to cross wind speed and your load's muzzle velocity.

Good shooting.
Its impossible to "fix" wind drift in a RB. They shed velocity too fast. The TIME lost in travel determines wind drift. The difference in time between the time of flight with no drag compared to the actual TOF. There is no cure for the high wind drift of a RB. Even at high velocity (110 gr FFF in a 44" barrel) small wind changes that hardly appear on wind flags can move a 50 cal ball 1/2 to 1" at 60 yards so its just something to get used to. This is why 60 yard target backers often look like this even with wind flags in the west.

But one can make a flatter trajectory with high velocity to make hitting easier.
Energy is irrelevant at BP velocities and is a poor way to judge effectiveness. The BALL size is a better way to determine if the gun is suitable so long as velocity is within reason.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Vomitus

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 09:55:55 PM »
For example, suppose you have a 10 mph cross wind, and a target out at 100 yds.   The two roundball trajectory tables I checked say that a .535 ball will drift 10 inches in 100 yds with a muzzle velocity of 1700 fps,  and 8.5 inches with a mv of 2100 fps.

Perfect! So if it's a right to left wind,for me,I'd just aim dead on and let my flinch take up the windage! ;D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:58:00 PM by Leatherbelly »