Author Topic: Hawken Rifle from Art Ressel's Hawken Shop in St. Louis  (Read 34912 times)

Offline Don Stith

Re: Hawken Rifle from Art Ressel's Hawken Shop in St. Louis
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »
I don't have the records to give you actual numbers, but H&H were the prominent suppliers of barrels to the Hawken Shop. THey were all tapered barrels

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 08:53:18 PM »
When I return from the gun show this weekend, I'll post photos of a Hawken rifle made by Joe Corley that belongs to a friend of mine. It is very similar to the third one in the photograph. The top flat of the .54 caliber barrel is unmarked, so its likely not from Art's Shop.

When I removed the barrel, the bottom flat was stamped near the breech, "H & H", ".540", "1*48". About 15" from the breech, "CORLEY" is stamped to the left of a number "12" inside an oval. The number is stamped upside down to the right of the name right side up.

The lock looks similar to what was posted, and I will post photos of it along with the features of the rifle.

Interesting enough, its the first custom-made Hawken I've seen that has color case hardening (faux?) on the buttplate, breech plug (all sides) & tang, entry thimble, nosecap, & escutcheon plates.

Buck
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

nosrettap1958

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 07:11:29 PM »
Hopkins and Hobbs barrels, Ok. he seems to think that the Green River barrel was the be all and end all of all barrel making because Bill Large was involved. Don't know that much about H&H barrels however. Any reviews? Opinions?  

But it is hard to argue with him because Green River did build a beautiful rifle.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 07:15:39 PM by crawdad »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 10:08:17 PM »
I can assure you no one that I know of made a better shooting barrel.thanH&H when they were the original company. Tim

Offline EC121

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 11:24:08 PM »
Hoppy Hopkins made one of the best barrels ever.  The original H&H barrels were the ones everyone wanted for matches.  But like a lot of other small businesses they went out of business.
Brice Stultz

Offline AZ Muzzleloaders

• AZ Muzzleloaders
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2023, 04:30:08 PM »
Just purchased a Hawken.   Pulled the lock and triggers..........Sid Estep from 1976.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2023, 06:18:07 PM »
Sid Estep is still alive and retired from the machine shop of the CSX railroad.I have had little contact with him in the last 35 years.
He built two fine rifles and one was precisely what was shown in the Robideaux drawings,a full scale Hawken.The second one has a shotgun butt plate and it was for his father who had NO USE for the crescent styles.I feel the same way.I tried to help him get started in lock making and he was a quick learner and made good springs which ARE the heart of any lock.He sold some to the Hawken Shop and showed them at Friendship but little interest was shown by those who looked at them.i got him hooked up to the German market but he was losing interest and sold all the spring steel and other lock making materials to me.The Germans would pay for the time and skill involved in making locks and triggers from bars of steel.I was away from locks and triggers for a long time and made bits and pieces for cars and helped a friend with his EUROPEAN Motors Garage.(NO rice burners wanted),He is deceased and the garage is gone and still missed.
  Sid Estep was one of a number who offered good work to the muzzle loading "community" and was rejected because he was used to being paid and I felt the same way and still do.Now at 87 I probably will make little in my shop and can't revive the interest in the words "Labor Intensive".How many shops have come and GONE and fine craftsmen quit and will have nothing more to do with muzzle loaders or anything that is associated with them?
Bob Roller

Offline stumbling buffalo

• Starting Member
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2023, 12:41:13 AM »
Hi,

I see that this is an older thread, but I am retired now and trying to get back into the hobby.  My long term interest has always been Hawken rifles and this thread is full of great info. I'm planning to put together a half stock rifle with an H&H barrel I've had for more than 3 decades.  It is a .54 caliber, 1-1/8" to 1" taper x 32" long with rib, thimbles and was set up with a percussion RH patent breech and tang.

My right eye has gone south and I now have to shoot LH.  Do anyone have a line on where I might get a LH 1-1/8" percussion breech & tang to keep it a cap gun?  Otherwise, I have to be a heretic and go with a 1-1/8" flint breech and tang I've found and make a fantasy half stock flint gun.  It looks like to good a barrel to let sit around any longer.  Any thoughts or recommendations would be greatly appreciated and thanks for all the knowledge you folks share on this forum.

Thanks, Guy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2023, 11:22:09 PM »
No idea where to get parts and there is nothing wrong with a "fantasy" rifle and now being left eye dominant is now the boss for a
personal rifle of any style.
Bob Roller

Offline sbowman

• Starting Member
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2023, 04:30:52 PM »
Guy,  you might give The Gun Works in Springfield Oregon, https://thegunworks.com/, a call about a left hand percussion breech for a Hawken.   They offer one for sale as a custom order.

Steve

• Starting Member
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2023, 06:14:08 AM »
Bob & Steve, Thanks for your replies.  I'll contact them and see what they have.  Guy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2023, 05:31:59 PM »
Buffalo,
You want a muzzleloader to fit your needs and those need/desires may not fit with someone else's ideas.Go for it.A Hawken styled gun with the lock on the left side and a shotgun butt plate.That special rifle is called adaptive equipment in the real world of 2023 and the opinions of naysayers don't count.
Bob Roller

• Starting Member
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2023, 04:45:33 PM »
Hi Steve, I checked with them, and they don't have any in stock.  They come from one foundry on Minnesota and everyone is waiting on them with no idea of a time frame for delivery.

Bob, thanks for the advice.  I'm thinking this barrel and I are heading down this path.

Thanks again  Guy

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2023, 06:11:50 PM »
. A left hand ENGLISH styled half stock flintlock rifle is not out of touch with reality and a better looking and handling gun than a Hawken.I have fired the Hawken that was marked Hoffman&Campbell at Tom Dawson's home in 1972 and another Bridger copy he made and then a half stock original Manton 16 gauge rifle
all in the same day and that Manton showed just how much those Hawken made guns lacked
Maybe they melt the steel (or iron) on the kitchen stove and it takes time.Be patient,very,very patient.
Bob Roller
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 06:33:41 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2023, 06:51:49 PM »
There is a major train wreck on this forum and it gives "Stumbling Buffalo"credit for my comparison of two authentic Hawken rifles with a top o the line English rifle.I don't care WHO gets the credit for the comparison of the guns but it proves my personal opinion that the electronic world needs more help and is fragile.
Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2023, 07:59:44 PM »
Just purchased a Hawken.   Pulled the lock and triggers..........Sid Estep from 1976.

[/quote

I just revisited this thread and the triggers are Sid Estep's work but that logo in the lock makes me think Schillinger which does no harm.
Sid used my signature pattern of a semi circle as seen on the triggers in his locks as well.
Bob Roller