Author Topic: What was that smell?  (Read 5601 times)

Offline Bull Shannon

What was that smell?
« on: September 01, 2014, 04:21:07 AM »
I bought several items of copperware from a well known smith that included two pots.  Both made of copper but tinned inside.  Even after two rinses with fresh water and then washed with dish soap, the inside smelled of some type of chemical which did not go away until I boiled water in both.  Included in my order was a stainless steel wash basin and a plain tinned dinner plate and neither had this smell.

Now, to be clear, I'm not looking to bash the maker or complain about his craftsmanship so I'm not mentioning where I got these at.  I am simply curious as to what could have made such a smell and why it took so much effort to get it to go away.  Both pots are water tight and lids fit nearly perfectly.  I chose SS for durability on the wash basin and I'm also aware that since the pots are copper than tinning the interior wasn't necessary.  I just thought it looked good that way and it does.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:37:40 PM by Bull Shannon »
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: What was that smell?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:55:31 AM »
I only respond to the "necessary" notion expressed.  But that it is my understanding that all good copper cookware is tin or nickel or otherwise plated on the interior surfaces.

As to the smell(okay i'll play fair), maybe a component of the tinning process, a flux perhaps?  That is something that would require more than washing.  But i am not familiar with that particular process or fluxes.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »
I'd be willing to accept that it was flux causing the smell but it was so persistent I had to ask the question; why so?

At least I know both are water tight before I head out into the field.  Clean too!  :)

Offline J Henry

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »
 Cal the maker and ask them.could be he has the answer.

Pare Bowlegs

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 08:50:01 PM »
I noticed a similar chemical smell after washing my brass kettles.

Pare-

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:15:05 PM »
Good to see you here Pare.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »
But that it is my understanding that all good copper cookware is tin or nickel or otherwise plated on the interior surfaces.
Any copper container used for food should be tinned.  Copper reacts with various acids to form verdigris, which is a complex compound containing copper salts.  Almost all of them are poisonous.  At one time, tomatoes were thought to be poisonous and people wouldn't eat them.  The underlying problem was the verdigris formed because of copper containers.  The tinning forms a barrier between the pot and the food.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »
Story goes (Foxfire Book tale?) that women would gather in the fall to make apple butter in an iron kettle hung over a fire outdoors, and share the product of the day's labor. Each woman was to bring a copper penny to toss into the simmering goop. Must be some reason. Copper bowls are good for whipping eggs. And DO NOT tin the inside of the vessel you cook your sour mash in. ;D
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 01:26:39 AM »
Cal the maker and ask them.could be he has the answer.

Have you tried this yet? I'd be interested in his reply.

Tim C.

Offline Virginiarifleman

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 05:28:29 AM »
Fill with Half Vinegar and half water. bring to a boil, pour out fill with water reboil. should take away any bad taste and smell. works for me .

Horner75

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »
I think the secret of cooking in copper is cleaning it after and before each use.  Candy makers use large unlined copper kettles for years and still do.  We have two copper kettles we use all of the time with no ill effects.  JUST KEEP THEM CLEAN!

Rick
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 08:01:01 AM by Horner75 »

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 04:34:43 AM »
Fill with Half Vinegar and half water. bring to a boil, pour out fill with water reboil. should take away any bad taste and smell. works for me .
I probably should have done that to begin with but didn't think of it.  Vinegar has so many uses, it should be on every prepper's inventory; LOL!

At any rate, after twice rinsing then washing with dish soap and then boiling the smell is gone.  I am still somewhat curious as to what it might have been and have sent the maker an email asking if he might know.  I'm sure it has something to do with the construction process, the tinning or solder, possibly even the polish used on the outside.  Either way, I'm sure that the pots will give me a lifetime of use as will the plate and wash basin.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 03:05:54 AM »
Reply from the maker;

Hello William,

Yes, the odor is from a light liquid polish that is on the outside. I wash and rinse the inside after soldering and inspect the inside for any flux but that’s not saying I miss some. Like you said, a wash with soap and a water rinse on any new item is recommended before it is used for food.

As far as keeping it polished, that’s up to you. Keeping it bright will take some effort. Especially if you use it over a wood fire. If you want to keep it bright, I recommend using Tarnex Liquid on the outside first followed up with a good paste wax. One that I really like is Simichrome Polish. It’s expensive but it also goes a long way. You only need a small dab and a bit of rubbing. I’ve also used Wrights’ Silver Cream. Wrights also makes a Copper Cream but I don’t like it as it’s too abrasive.

I probably should have done that to begin with but didn't think of it.  Vinegar has so many uses, it should be on every prepper's inventory; LOL!

At any rate, after twice rinsing then washing with dish soap and then boiling the smell is gone.  I am still somewhat curious as to what it might have been and have sent the maker an email asking if he might know.  I'm sure it has something to do with the construction process, the tinning or solder, possibly even the polish used on the outside.  Either way, I'm sure that the pots will give me a lifetime of use as will the plate and wash basin.