Author Topic: "ALM" maker from the 70s  (Read 10848 times)

robes

"ALM" maker from the 70s
« on: September 01, 2014, 03:34:27 PM »
I'm new to this forum, recently purchased a contemporary rifle at an estate sale with the initials ALM on the barrel in script.  I'd like to find out more information on the maker.  The lock is a H W Robbins lock dated 8/14/71 on the inside.  I've found the references to that lock, sounds mechanically very good.  It's a nice gun, with an ornate pierced brass eagle patchbox, total of 12 silver inlays, and some butt carving.  38.5 inch barrel, 40 cal, curly maple.   I will post pictures if I can figure out how to do that.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:49:00 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Bob Roller

Re: "ALM" maker from the 70s
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 04:02:01 PM »
The initials ALM on the barrel are those of Leonard Meadows of Shady Spring WVa. Len as we called him made some fine rifles including a long,slim Southern flintlock for me in walnut with butt plate,trigger guard and thimbles from a wrecked antique I bought from Bill Large. Leonard Meadows passed away suddenly in April of 1976.He had been to a shoot and a "Hoot" in Virginia and sat in playing banjo with the Country Gentlemen and the next morning,Bob Beckleheimer found him dead in his kitchen.Autopsy showed a big blood clot tried to pass thru his heart and it killed him.
You have a rare rifle and as to current value,it is an open market item,a willing seller+a willing buyer.
Harold Robbins was a lock maker in Ypsilanti,Michigan and was confined to a wheel chair and did good work.
It is my understanding he is past 90 and still living but is now nearly blind.
I hope this helps you.That is a fine,seldom seen rifle by a fine maker.

Bob Roller

robes

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »

Thanks for that great information!

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:50:02 PM by Tim Crosby »

Ric27

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 03:24:20 AM »
Looks like a nice rifle. Sure would like to see some more photos. Some close ups of the lock area and off side carving and side plate, the tang etc...
Love to see the guns being made early in the Renaissance.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 03:47:43 AM »
That's a keeper. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 04:57:52 AM »
I  think I may have some information on Leonard Meadows that came to me after the death of a friend that collected longrifles in the early years. If you would like to have a copy pm your address and I'll try find it and send copies of it to you. I think I remember a price list and options for.his rifles. Tim Cosby

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 04:47:55 PM »
Yes that is a Leonard Meadows rifle and a fine one it is. Bob Roller is right on with his description of Leonard and his guns. I have had a couple of his guns in the past and presently have one of his Kentucky style pistols. I also have Leonard's personal gun cabinet that he built from lumber sawn from a cherry tree that grew in his backyard. He was a quality craftsman and one Prince of a guy and is sorely missed by all of us who knew him.

Regards   Frank Barker

robes

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 09:03:22 PM »
Here are a few more photos of the rifle.  Thanks again to everyone for adding to the history of the piece.

http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/drobie1/library/Leonard%20Meadows