Author Topic: Whitmore, Wolf and Co.  (Read 3516 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Whitmore, Wolf and Co.
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:04 PM »
Anyone with interest in western PA longrifles will recognize Whitmore, Wolf & Co. as being a hardware dealer in Pittsburgh that sold locks and gun hardware in the mid 19th century.  I found a store journal at auction in Corsica PA (along Olean Trail) that had entries where the owner was buying hardware from Whitmore Wolf on May 6, 1854.  The entry says 2 " Rifles 40 80.  The ditto is coming down from the dozen above, so I interpret this as 2 dozen rifles $40 each dozen $80 total, but the number entries are in the cents column which confuses me.  I'm wondering if the dollars are in the wrong column or maybe rifles means rifflers.  Would a gun cost as little as $3 in 1854?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 10:56:11 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: Whitmore, Wolf and Co.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:45:54 PM »
Possibly rifle cutters @ 40 cents a doz? Still seems too cheap.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 07:02:42 AM »
I can't quite make out anything on the list but yeah, it's two for 80c total. 

Maybe it was "Ruffles" tater chips...okay maybe not. 

I just don't think a "rifles" are going to be lost and low-cost on a ticket as this would make them.  It's something diff't.

Hold to the Wind

oakridge

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 07:24:13 AM »
It's 2 doz. ??? @ .40 a doz. Total of $.80    That comes out to 3 1/3 cents each.