Author Topic: re: Sighting-In the Black Powder Rifle  (Read 10933 times)

Offline chrisdefrance

• Chris de France
re: Sighting-In the Black Powder Rifle
« on: September 02, 2014, 06:56:41 PM »
Some years ago, I happened onto Bob's Black Powder Notebook. The Chapter on Sighting-In the Black Powder Rifle is well written. For 40 years, I have worked on sighting in rifles using this method, or very close. For someone that has never sighted in a rifle this will be very helpful.

In December 23, 2009, Curtis put the website for "Bob's Black Powder Notebook" and the " Trigger Function and Terminology ". The "Notebook" includes 21 separate chapters related to Black Powder guns.

Chris de France

Single click on the website to continue Bob's " Sighting-In the Black Powder Rifle".

Sighting-In the Black Powder Rifle

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/sighting.html

B. E. Spencer

"How sweet it is to be able to put shot after shot into the bull, shoot those small groups we all admire so. How do we set up the sights on our rifle to make that happen, though? This discussion will consider some basics in accomplishing that, shooting your favorite load, at your favorite distance and target.

A quick review of what exactly happens when we fire that shot, and the relationship of the flight of the bullet to the line of the sights is in order, so that we are all using the same terms. Assume we are shooting a rifle that is already correctly sighted in. When we put the rifle to our shoulder and line up the sights on the target, we are looking along the line of sight. This line is perfectly straight, as only light can be, and runs from our eye through the rear sight, then the front sight, then to the spot on the target we want to hit. Unfortunately, this doesn't coincide with the flight of the bullet. Since the bore of the rifle is below the sights, the bullet starts out below the line of sight, crosses it traveling upward, stays above it for a time, then begins to fall downward, crossing the line of sight exactly at the target. Every shot we fire will travel this curving loop. The bullet will reach its maximum height above the line of sight at a little more than 50% of the distance to the target, and this point is called the Mid-Range Trajectory. Once the bullet travels past the target, it will be below the line of sight until it stops, for whatever reason.

The problem we have in sighting the rifle in, then, is to adjust the sights so that the bullet falls back to the line of sight at exactly the distance of the target. We must also adjust them so that the flight of the bullet is exactly lined up with the line of sight from side to side, of course. Adjusting the up and down flight of the bullet is called adjusting the elevation, that of adjusting the side to side flight is called adjusting the windage."

John Wayne portrayed Col. John Henry Thomas in "The Undefeated"...  "Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon; windage and elevation."

Curtis  December 23, 2009,

Bob’s Black Powder Notebook  -  The Home Page
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/index.html

Trigger Function and Terminology
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/triggerterm.html

Flint Lock Terminology by B. E. Spencer
http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/flintterm.html
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 06:57:16 PM by chrisdefrance »
"These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

nosrettap1958

Re: re: Sighting-In the Black Powder Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:58:48 PM »
I see where a lot of people make the mistake of going to the range and shooting a well 'sighted in' rifle at the same marked range all the time. In the field, where the game can be at any range the shooter has to know where and how his rifle shoots at 42 1/3 yards, 67 1/2 yards, 93 yards and so and on and so forth. The numbers I used are only for an exaggeration. Field practice at various targets placed at 'paces' away is vital but only after the shooter is satisfied that his rifle's sights and charge are optimum for THAT specific rifle.

What makes 'field' practice more difficult also is the slow rate of fire and the habitual fowling of black powder that is inherent to muzzleloading rifles.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 02:09:10 PM by crawdad »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:04:59 AM »
I see where a lot of people make the mistake of going to the range and shooting a well 'sighted in' rifle at the same marked range all the time. In the field, where the game can be at any range the shooter has to know where and how his rifle shoots at 42 1/3 yards, 67 1/2 yards, 93 yards and so and on and so forth. The numbers I used are only for an exaggeration. Field practice at various targets placed at 'paces' away is vital but only after the shooter is satisfied that his rifle's sights and charge are optimum for THAT specific rifle.

What makes 'field' practice more difficult also is the slow rate of fire and the habitual fowling of black powder that is inherent to muzzleloading rifles.

People also make the mistake of sighting the hunting rifle like it was a target rifle. The typical round ball rifle with a load making 1700-1900 fps will shoot flat enough that inside  of 110-120 yards requires no change in hold for deer sized game. But if they sight the rifle dead on for a 50 yard match its major trouble with range estimation since it will be pretty low even at 100 and worse at 110-120. So hunting rifles need a 110-120 zero unless loaded under 1700.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

nosrettap1958

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:45:05 PM »
I agree Dan.  To many people handicap themselves unnecessarily through the lack of practice but also the lack of sufficient range. They work up a recipe that puts them dead on a 50 then quit not realizing they are limiting themselves and the capabilities of their rifle. However, I'm guilty of that also.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 04:46:05 PM by crawdad »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 05:20:24 PM »
slow rate of fire and the habitual fowling of black powder that is inherent to muzzleloading rifles.

I never wipe, so that doesn't slow down my rate of fire.  Thick patch snugly fitted does it for me.
Hold to the Wind

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
Field practice is the best way to get to know your rifles capabilities.  Most clubs I've been involved with out here in west shoot metal targets on a trail walk.  10 to 200 yards or more.  This will get your attention quickly, hit or miss same as a game animal.   No club ? set up your own targets and PRACTICE....Tom

nosrettap1958

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:19:15 PM »
I found groundhog (whistle pigs) hunting all summer long, you can hunt varmints all year long here but it's usually a summer time hunting season, to be beneficial also. Range identification as well as sight familiarity is paramount and easily transferable to other types of game as well.

Farmers hate em and love it when you ask if you can hunt them on their land.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 09:03:44 PM by crawdad »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 04:23:57 PM »
I found groundhog (whistle pigs) hunting all summer long,

If you ever skin and dry (no salt please) those skins I know some folks who might want them.  They're "famous" for making good laces, but aren't traded much these days.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
We called them "Pasture Poodles" here in WV. I used to scourge them over in
the Smoke Hole canyon with a Southern flintlock and a Whitworth.

Bob Roller

nosrettap1958

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:12 AM »
I found groundhog (whistle pigs) hunting all summer long,

If you ever skin and dry (no salt please) those skins I know some folks who might want them.  They're "famous" for making good laces, but aren't traded much these days.

Thanks Wade, but I have a feller that makes Revolutionary War and French and Indian War period reenactment uniforms and such and he said he'll take them. Don't know what he does with the meat though. :)

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:38:39 PM »
100yards zero standing leaf, folding leaves for 150yards, 200yards and steel gongs at 300yards  all with hunting load.  With light target load of 82gr., even though less accurate, gives zeros with the same first 3 sights at 50, 100 and 150yards. A happy finding.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 06:50:36 PM »
If the front sight is a bead or blade, a 45 degree angle on its rear surface will reflect light in the bush, making sighting much more exact.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:56:58 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 03:57:16 AM »
@Daryl, where do you put the flint?

;D
Hold to the Wind

jamesthomas

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 04:05:58 AM »

;D

Yea, there's something funny about that rifle but I just can't put my finger on it  ??? (scratches head).

nosrettap1958

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 04:07:59 AM »
If the rear sight is a bead or blade, a 45 degree angle on its rear surface will reflect light in the bush, making sighting much more exact.

Excellent information Daryl, just absolutely excellent. I'm filing my front sight down at a 45 degree angle as we speak.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:10:22 AM by crawdad »

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:23 AM »

;D

Yea, there's something funny about that rifle but I just can't put my finger on it  ??? (scratches head).

That rifle gun uses disposable single use flints, don't y'all know?
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 06:34:36 PM »
Yeah -both the flints and the prime, together, fit inside a copper tube which fits over the vent liner projection.  That projection acts as a hammer when the cock strikes it, sparking inside the copper tube,  and thus driving the flame into the rear of the powder charge.

Unlike a conventional flint lock, this one is pretty much central-firing, instead of rim or edge-firing from a side mounted vent.

Ignition is generally faster and more sure in inclement weather conditions due to the enclosed flint, prime and thus, the sealed vent.  Note that premature cleaning o wiping of the bore has the potential to push fouling down into the vent's inner passageway thus disrupting an otherwise 'almost' perfect ignition system. ;)
Daryl

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 06:10:48 AM »
Yeah -both the flints and the prime, together, fit inside a copper tube which fits over the vent liner projection.  That projection acts as a hammer when the cock strikes it, sparking inside the copper tube,  and thus driving the flame into the rear of the powder charge.

Unlike a conventional flint lock, this one is pretty much central-firing, instead of rim or edge-firing from a side mounted vent.

Ignition is generally faster and more sure in inclement weather conditions due to the enclosed flint, prime and thus, the sealed vent.  Note that premature cleaning o wiping of the bore has the potential to push fouling down into the vent's inner passageway thus disrupting an otherwise 'almost' perfect ignition system. ;)

Jiminy Cricket and Hold that Mule, what are they gonna think of next?   ;)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 03:22:04 PM »
They grow in little containers. Usually 100 to a pod. Shiny on their outside I've seen them with different internal colors -red, green and gold.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Vomitus

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2014, 08:16:27 PM »
  Can you use them again?  ??? ???

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2014, 08:46:12 PM »
Caps are for Kids ;D

Centershot

Offline Daryl

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 01:31:15 AM »
In my second childhood, then - I REALLY love that rifle - you would to if you shot her.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:32:24 AM by Daryl »
Daryl