Author Topic: Neil Fields' Early Lancaster or Small Beck Style Rifle  (Read 13818 times)

Offline RonC

Neil Fields' Early Lancaster or Small Beck Style Rifle
« on: September 02, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
You may have read or heard that recently, Mr. Fields lost his Utah home and shop in a fire. It was disturbing to see a photo of his property in ashes. You can find links to newspaper articles about the fire. I am not writing this to talk about the fire, but about a marvelous rifle he made that is now in my possession. I am very fortunate to own this rifle!
I asked for more detail and history of the rifle on the net. This is what I have learned.
Neil Fields said that this is a special rifle. It has an original Mortimer lock in it, with a 7/8 x 36" .50 barrel and he finished it February 14, 1990. One individual said that it is a small Beck style. Not all agree. Another pointed out that the lock appears out of character for an otherwise, early Lancaster styled rifle. “I can't tell if the lock panels are otherwise accentuated, but would have expected to see beaver tails behind at the very least. The angle of the cheek piece and trigger guard also reflect Lancaster rather than Beck....subtle differences.”
I asked for a “dissection” of the rifle and parts. Several people were familiar with which resulted in several interpretations and exacting descriptions and this was one: “I think the gun was built around the lock. Being an original Mortimer English lock which is probably 1810 or later. It sparks like mad, has a rollered frizzen, very smooth internals. The rifle weighs in at just 6.5 lbs. Barrel has 8 lands and grooves.“
HW Mortimer was an “Armourer to the Queen” and he and his son Harvey Walklate Mortimer were London gunsmiths' between 1753 and 1819 with premises at Fleet Street (see page 187 of British Gunmakers London By Brown) .
And now, of course, some photos:
The lock

Ron
Ron

peabody

Re: Neil Fields' Early Lancaster or Small Beck Style Rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:25:13 AM »
 ??? i don't have a clue !
i don't know much ....but i do know this...
it's one very beautiful rifle.
yes. you are blessed to own that.

Peabody

Offline RonC

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:36:59 PM »
Thank you, Peabody.

I thoroughly enjoy the esthetics of the rifle. I don't have enough knowledge to judge how the carvings compare to those of the great, contemporary masters of muzzleloader building, but I am happy as long as the rifle pleases me.

Also, I don't know how historically accurate it is. I was hoping that some folks here would chime in about whether it is a reasonable, period replica. One gentleman who has knowledge of the rifle has emailed me privately and made some very helpful statements about it.
The rifle shoots very well.
Ron
Ron

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »
That is without a doubt a stunningly beautiful rifle.  I would call it a treasure to own.  I must admit being somewhat confused upon seeing an early Lancaster with an English lock; all I've seen had German locks, especially the earlier rifles.  Also, for a Lancaster, the butt stock is a little strange and doesn't really appear HC/PC.  Nevertheless, workmanship seems top drawer and the rifle is a beauty.  Anyone would be proud to have it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline RonC

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:05 AM »
Thank you for that information, Hanshi!
I have seem many of your posts in this an other sites and respect your level of knowledge.

Ron
Ron

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 03:01:45 AM »
Not HC or PC, but still a very beautiful flintlock.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Mick C

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:20 AM »
Spectacular rifle.  Anyone know how mr. Fields is doing?  Has he rebuilt?  I can't imagine being in that situation, my heart goes out to him ... Mick
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 02:47:47 AM »
Kind of a neat gun, appears to be well built, but, certainly not worthy of putting the
Becl name on it.   Appears to be more of a Lancaster/Bedford.  Those thick Bivins
buttplates just slay me.  Sure is a neat, trim gun tho............Don

JoeG

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 03:11:19 AM »

Spectacular rifle.  Anyone know how mr. Fields is doing?  Has he rebuilt?  I can't imagine being in that situation, my heart goes out to him ... Mick

Neil is in good health and good spirits. When I last talked to him he is planning on rebuilding this  coming spring. Not sure how soon he will getting back to gun building, the only thing left of his house and shop was the metal roof . He lost all his tools in the fire.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:21:59 AM by JoeG »

Offline Herb

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 05:44:27 AM »
Just saw Neill and Lynn at a Halloween party Saturday night.  He is accumulating tools and wants to borrow my book on North Carolina rifles, so he is tooling up to build again.
Herb

Offline RonC

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 02:37:14 PM »
That is great news!
I am in Peru at the moment and itching for the time I get back to my muzzleloaders in a few days.
Ron
Ron

Offline heelerau

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 11:09:32 PM »
 I spoke to Neil last week , he still had to  go throught the wreckage and see what tools might be salvageable, I gather he has or is about the get the slab poured before Winter sets in. Good to hear he is tooling up again. I really enjoy the two rifles he has built for my family.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 01:54:30 AM »
The lock is far later in style then the rest of the gun. The straight short barrel is also out of character. Beck never used a buttplate like that either... neither did anyone else in Lancaster. The single lock screw is a non starter also.
 The lock actually has more value than the rest of the gun, it's a shame that lock couldn't have been gotten to someone restoring an original Mortimer gun.  :(
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline RonC

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 02:52:28 AM »
Thank you for your take on the rifle, Mike. It represents my first foray out of the realm of the factory-made T/C, CVA or Lyman rifle.

I hope Neil gets back on his feet soon.

Regards,
Ron
Ron

Offline EC121

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 09:51:29 PM »
As the figure skaters would say: It appears to be a technically well executed routine with points deductions for style flaws.  The different segments of the effort are well done.  They just don't go together to make a good overall picture. 
Brice Stultz

Carney

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 01:51:16 AM »
But I will bet that it handles well and shoots great.

Offline RonC

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2015, 05:34:33 AM »
It holds and shoots very well! And it sparks like supernova.
Ron
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 06:04:57 AM by RonC »
Ron

Offline heelerau

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
But I will bet that it handles well and shoots great.

Now surprises there !! ;D
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !