Author Topic: No tox barrel choices  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Scota4570

No tox barrel choices
« on: September 04, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
I am ready to begin building a long rifle. I hunt in a lead free zone.  If I want to hunt with a ML I need to work around this ridiculous law.   

Could I order a faster twist barrel and use sabots and conicals?  Anyone make a long, swamped, fast twist 50 caliber barrel?

Or, I could use ITX balls.  My reading indicates they are too hard and shoot poorly.  Blazing ahead anyway, go with 54 or 58 caliber to make up for the less dense material and lack or expansion?? 

Offline Standing Bear

Re: No tox barrel choices
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 10:51:10 PM »
I believe it was on this forum that someone was testing some brass balls that were working well.  Even had molds I believe but may not have needed a special mold.  Try a search.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »
I read that too.  It was in a smoothbore?  At any rate one must use approved bullets/balls.  Even though brass balls from some non gun source may be scientifically  OK, it may not be bureaucratically OK. 

I got a link to a barrel maker on the gun building forum, I am very excited about it, looks like just what I had in mind and cheap too. 

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 07:35:46 PM »
You can check with the CA Df&W if they will accept brass balls. I think they will. The usual method for an onsite test is to use a magnet on your projectile. They might also take a ball and test it off site.

ITX works fine though and is approved by the CA DF&W.

K
Galations 2:20