Author Topic: Information on H. M'Clallen, Auburn (state?)  (Read 3323 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Information on H. M'Clallen, Auburn (state?)
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »
I have a very nice original mule ear lock which is marked as above on the front of the lock plate.  The hammer is marked "patent".  The back of the lock plate is marked "patent" over  "H M'Clallen" over "S or perhaps S S Mallory".  No year of patent or manufacture can be found.  Anyone have any information on these boys?
I'm having the hammer nose repaired, and would like to put the lock on a rifle somewhat the style of the gun it may have come off of.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
Re: Information on H. M'Clallen, Auburn (state?)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:41:10 AM »
Seller's  "American Gunsmiths" has a H. McCallen , Auburn New York. 1850 Percussion Guns.

Offline OLUT

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:45:56 AM »
Swinney lists both of them in his NYS Firearms Trade .......Samuel S Mallory is only a brief entry for him in Rochester, NY in 1826, probably as an apprentice to Ephrain Gilbert. Hugh M'Clallen of Auburn, NY  receives  about 7 pages of write-up, including photos of several rifles

Offline Roger B

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:48:15 AM »
That is really neat!  I appreciate the information.    Is the Swinney book still in print?  If not, I would be more than happy to cover the expenses of copying or scanning the pages for me. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:50:30 PM »
Swinney is a five volume set on New York firearms. There are a few sets on ABE books for around $500.00.

Centershot

Offline Roger B

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »
Hmmmmmm. At $100.00 per volume I think I'll have to pass :o,  Sounds like an interlibrary loan deal or perhaps online information.
Roger B,

Offline OLUT

ROBERT SWALLOW in Alden, NY
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 05:04:25 PM »
Several years ago, this guy had several sets of "The New York State Firearms Trade" by Swinney & Rowe  for about half price & my wife give me a set as a nice Christmas present. I don't know his current status, but you might want to try contacting  him:
        ROBERT SWALLOW in Alden, NY       phone 716 - 937 - 7486

Offline Roger B

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 05:46:56 AM »
I don't know.....you can't trust just any yankee  ;D
Roger B.