Author Topic: Germanic Double Flintlock over/under rifle/smoothbore  (Read 4978 times)

Offline moodyholler

Germanic Double Flintlock over/under rifle/smoothbore
« on: September 06, 2014, 03:43:28 AM »
[url"http://s64.photobucket.com/user/moodyholler/embed/slideshow/Germanic%20over%20and%20under"></iframe>]<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s64.photobucket.com/user/moodyholler/embed/slideshow/Germanic%20over%20and%20under"></iframe>[/url]

Picked up at Hillsville Flea Market.

Trigger tang is breech tang for lower barrel, has numbers stamped on upper RH lock boss, and figuire behind triggar guard tang. Also figuire at tang, barrel junction of top barrel. There is a faint signature on top barrel flat. Rifling is square bottom about .62`.65 cal. Patch box lid id old replacement. Anyone seen anything like this? Revolutionary? Military use? Thanks, moodyholler
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:21:52 AM by moodyholler »

Offline KLMoors

Re: Germanic Double Flintlock over/under rifle/smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:42:01 PM »
Link didn't work for me?

Offline sz

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:12:30 PM »
Me either.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:49:12 AM »
Me too.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 02:16:59 AM »
It always amazes me that people who are used to small details when building guns, never pay attention to things that are right in front of them.

Every time you go to a website, its address starts with http.  If you look at the link given, copy and paste it into your address bar.  Then remove everything on either side and including the quotation marks.  Thus you will get the following:

http://s64.photobucket.com/user/moodyholler/embed/slideshow/Germanic%20over%20and%20under

Wasn't that simple?  Next time, you can be the one to post the corrected link instead.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 02:24:57 AM »
Thanks a bunch!! I appreciate the help. moodyholler

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:48:09 PM »
No help out there? Opinions? Thanks, moodyholler

Offline DaveM

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:15:59 PM »
Nice, and interesting. My guess germany circa 1800-1810?  Early form but less ornate than earlier guns.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:20:08 PM »
The hardware looks late 18th/early 19th century.  The locks (and probably the barrels were originally with the locks) look mid 18th century.  It LOOKS like it was reworked/restocked again in the 19th century, with the big American buffalo on the cheekpiece and the ramrod hung underneath the lower barrel (I would expect that the ramrod was originally intended to go between the two barrels on the side of the stock).  The per-cussed conversion is, however, not of the normal American type.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 10:23:57 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:09:38 AM »
Interesting gun. This type is less common than jaeger wenders, but certainly seen in collections. I am not familiar with this type made in America, but the jaeger wenders certainly influenced our swivel breeches heavily.

The bison in interesting, as well, and could be American, but might also be a European wisent. They are closely related, and the differences might not be correctly portrayed in folk art.

What is the stock wood? I can't tell from photos. That might help as evidence in the re-stock question.

Rammer position in seen in other antiques, but the hollows in the fore end suggest rod channels. Thanks for showing this interesting variant. Great flea market find. I am always certain the very next flea market or garage sale will have something like this ( except original flint of course) but each time I come away disappointed! Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:09:00 PM »
I spent all day Sunday at a flea market and there wasn't anything that cool there.  Nice find.
That gun probably has a really great history that has been lost.  I've not seen a buffalo like that
on any other rifle and to be an earlier double...  Very cool.  One of the most interesting to show
up on the forum this year.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 04:06:04 AM »
Came from a Family near Kings Mountain Georgia. Family sold all the guns last month including this one. I am quite happy to be temporary caregiver until a better home is found. Later, moodyholler

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 05:29:36 AM »
9lbs 9ozs, 26" barrels, european walnut, 7 grooves, .64-.65 cal, oal 40 3/4", front trigger pull 12 1/2", rear trigger pull, 11 3/4",