Author Topic: Custom F&I Horn  (Read 11919 times)

Offline Carl Dumke

Custom F&I Horn
« on: September 06, 2014, 04:19:09 AM »
I was able to get out in the shop to finish a big F& I horn for a customer.  It measures just over 19 inches long and has a tulip spout forward of the fancy engrailed transition.  The engraving is styled after John Bush and displays the owners name (hope you like it Dave!) and the early name of Maryland (Queen Mary's Land).  I also included a couple of stylized flowers to depict the Black-eyed Susan (state flower).  The reverse is a map of the Allegheny Valley and includes Braddock's Road.  The butt is curly maple (just make out the stripes) and the finial is turned antler.  I used a mixture of dyes to age the body and the spout--wanted a look of a well used horn.  The strap was woven by my friend Kris Polizzi.  I was shooting for a total F&I look.  Hope I did justice...

Carl

Offline Virginiarifleman

Re: Custom F&I Horn
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 04:30:37 AM »
Beautiful Horn, Great work.

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 04:45:06 AM »
Watched this come along on your fb site. I really like how it came out.

Steve
Steve Skillman

Offline acorn20

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
Nice looking horn Carl!
Dan Akers

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 06:21:07 AM »
Very nice.

Centershot

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
Beautiful horn :)
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
 Very well done, I love that Tulip neck.

Tim C.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 05:32:38 PM »
Wonderful in every detail, Carl.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

gizamo

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »
Absolutely admire your work.  Really think that you are the best at pulling together the elements that make a great horn. Architecture, design, flow, and scribe work are 2nd to none. You have mastered  it, my friend.

It takes years of dedication and devotion to even begin to approach this level of craftmanship.

The piece itself reflects all that you have learned in this trade...

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 01:54:51 AM »
Great horn Carl, but then I wouldn't expect anything else... Beautiful work.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 06:36:20 PM »
Many pleasant details. strap is great too. Good work thanks for sharing with us!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:07 PM »
#@!! $#@* Carl, that looks awesome!!   :o  The pics you sent 'in progress' were nice, but that's gorgeous and I'm going to be honored to carry it and display it in my home.  Thank you ever so much!! 

I may be afraid to take it to the woods too much, but a buddy drew one of the bear tags for the Maryland black bear hunt late next month (and I'm his co-permittee), that is definitely going to go along with me and the flintlock, we'll actually be hunting just off the old Braddock Rd. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline J Henry

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:41:08 AM »
  I was in contact with another ( OUTUS) "in country" service member and was told if I sent him a horn finished or not he would not be able to bring it back to CONUS. could not prove country of origin,,just saying   don't know for sure.Check into it Osprey,,be a shame to have to leave it at the airport!!!!!!!!!!  That is if it were sent to you...

Offline Kopfjaeger

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 03:34:13 PM »
Nice horn.
" A godly man and his rifle deprive sleep from the wicked, A christian man who prays is the defeater of evil, A praying man who will fight is the conqueror of nations and the hope of the oppressed "

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 02:33:52 AM »
  I was in contact with another ( OUTUS) "in country" service member and was told if I sent him a horn finished or not he would not be able to bring it back to CONUS. could not prove country of origin,,just saying   don't know for sure.Check into it Osprey,,be a shame to have to leave it at the airport!!!!!!!!!!  That is if it were sent to you...

Carl's in Ohio and I'm in Maryland, I know it's a different world down here where I live, but I think it's still in the U.S.   ;D

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »
Mail lady came up the lane with a package today!!   ;D  Wow Carl, you've outdone yourself.  It looks great in the pics, but it's even BETTER in hand.   :o

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 05:29:52 AM »
Super horn. I will try a spout like that on my next project. Thanks for the inspiration. Hope I can do it justice. Super scrim work. Not even gonna try that part.  Like the dark plug too
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

navygunner

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »
I'm simply in awe of the abilities of the artisans this forum. That is an awesome horn.

ng

Offline sonny

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2014, 01:14:34 PM »
How the heck did he get the horn color to look so old an brown?....sonny

Offline Carl Dumke

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2014, 03:14:53 AM »
How the heck did he get the horn color to look so old an brown?....sonny

Sonny,
I used several washes of the same dye with more brown added--this highlights the growth rings and then a mixture of stain and black paint pigment.
Carl

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 03:11:16 PM »
I was going to try Rustoleum flat black?  Good/Bad?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Carl Dumke

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
I was going to try Rustoleum flat black?  Good/Bad?

There are a lot of folks that use it.  I also selectively use artist oils in tubes of different earth tones.  The key to any aging process is to think of how the item is used--where do your hands go, how is it used, what does it rub against as you go running through the woods...  Hope this makes sense.
Carl

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2014, 02:55:30 PM »
It sure does. Thank you