Author Topic: Can we identify specific swamped barrel 'Schools'  (Read 2879 times)

nosrettap1958

Can we identify specific swamped barrel 'Schools'
« on: September 09, 2014, 12:57:16 AM »
I don't know if this question belongs here or in the Contemporary forum but this came to mind as I glanced through my limited library.  Can we identify the various "Schools" or as Henry Kauffman would say the various "County Characteristic" on the makers who made most of the swamped barreled rifles? Did swamping a barrel die out as the longrifle moved throughout the country? And if it did how quickly did it fade away?  Is there a definitive dividing line that today's collectors can identify?

Your thoughts? opinions?  All welcomed.  :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:05:51 AM by crawdad »

Offline Don Getz

Re: Can we identify specific swamped barrel 'Schools'
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 03:52:05 AM »
Craw.......if you think about it, I would say that almost all of the swamped barrels were hand forged.   On the other hand,
sometime in the early 1800's they started to make barrels and used water power to grind flats on them.  These would have
been straight sided barrels.  There were always exceptions.   While Bill Kennedy was still living, the Muncy Historical Society
was given a Joe Long rifle to restore.  It had a beautiful swamped barrel, the whole gun was one of the best Joe Longs I have
ever looked at, and would have been made between 1820 - 1860.........Don

nosrettap1958

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 04:38:18 PM »
Thanks Don!!!!!  Appreciate the information.  But for the sake of discussion let's say we have in our collection maybe 2,000 examples of Pennsylvania built rifles that we can positively identify how many or what percentage of those rifles have swamped barrels? Another, let say we can positively identify 1,000 Virginia built rifles how many of those have swamped rifles barrels, North Carolina, Maryland and so forth and so on. Or, can we see a pattern?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 08:59:47 PM by crawdad »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 06:40:01 PM »
I think you would find that it all events on date.  Before 1770 barrels would have a prominent swelling at the breech  and a nice flair at the muzzle.  Easily seen. By 1790 to 1810 more or less, the prominence of the beech swelling and the overall diameter at the beech would be less, but still visible.  Later flint rifles had more subtle swamping.  If you look at barrel manufacturers offerings of swamped barrels, you will get the idea. The different offerings are often named for specific rifles, periods, etc.
Andover, Vermont

nosrettap1958

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:02:21 PM »
But are we finding original examples of swamped barrels by makers throughout Pennsylvania, Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, etc.?

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
The type of barrel is more of a time period thing than by who made it.   When you start looking at guns, you will find that
almost every gun built before 1800 had a swamped barrel.  You then go thru a period of 1800 -1820 where you would fiind a
mix of barrels.    After 1820 most of the guns were built using straight sided barrels.  The key word is "most", you will always
find exceptions to the rule.......Don